IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

lexus or bmw/audi

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 05:45 PM
pizzakid13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus or bmw/audi

my first post here. i am currently comparing the AWD versions of these 3 car companies. IS250/BMW3238xi/audi A4 quattro. the IS250 is really nice and i am leaning that way but i have always been a big fan of the german cars. i have an '03 passat right now. i also have an '00 RX300 so i am familiar with the quality of lexus. my friend has the IS350 which i looked at last night. it is a very nice car and i really like the look.

when it comes to the AWD though, is there a big difference between the RWD models and the FWD like the audi?
Old 09-28-06, 06:35 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Audi Quattro is 50:50 front/rear all the time, until slip is detected then the system will apportion torque accordingly.

Lexus AWD is rear drive bias, I believe the BMW xdrive is also similarly rear drive bias. Most of the time, it will be RWD until slip is detected then it will distribute torque to the front. The driving feel and handling of Audi AWD and Lexus IS' awd are very different to me when I test drove them.

There have been a lot of discussions about which awd systems are better in this forum and various websites. I dont want to dwell on the topic again.

I had Audi Quatro before, but never owned any BMWs. I drove my parents' BMW (3Xi series and X5s) and they do handle very good.

German cars will always have that reliability gamble, especially if you are going to keep the vehicle pass warranty period. If I have to choose between BMW and Audi, I will choose BMW. Audis do not have too good of resale value either especially when the standard warranty is out.

Good luck.

Last edited by SugarRush; 09-28-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 06:38 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

I've owned an A4 and just bought this IS. I had my A4 for 4 years and had two problems, the airbag sensor went out and had to replace the entire airbag and my radio backlighting failed.

They say german cars are less reliable, but maybe it's a toss up. I'm a big fan of japanese quality so i opted for the Lex this time around.
Old 09-28-06, 06:43 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 320i before I like it so much never had a Audi at all... I don't know the 4 wheels drive system for Lexus but among BMW 3, AUDI A4 and LEUXS IS I will still choose Lexus since I like the outlook of IS...Clean and Smooth... BMW and AUDI are too family look...
Old 09-28-06, 07:11 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gamble

Yeah, what sugarRush said, "Gamble"
Some people have peer pressure, give in and may have to buy the 'approved' car of the crowd they run with. All their buddies, their neighbors all have BMW's and you want to fit in. It's natural.

But deep down in your gut, you know,,, dare I say it?
You really want a 'better' (IMHO) reliable car, that is very stylish, is fun to drive, with electronics that are solid, will start when its foggy and doesn't have the 60's station wagon dashboard. So they come around here, see how the other half live. Checking out the guys & gals that got more car for their money and didn't buy the cliché. That's cool. I have been there myself.
Had an Audi, big mistake. a possessed Passat, Bigger mistake, a harley that leaked oil. It isn't worth it, throwing good money after bad

Everytime I start the Lexus up, I say to myself. What the hell was I thinking, even considering the Mercedes C350.
Meanwhile:
Hey Casey, you still around? You'll like this. One of them Audi A4's (the new ones that look like the Mazda CX-7's) tried to hang with me coming up Fancy Gap on 77 yesterday.
Old 09-28-06, 08:01 PM
pizzakid13
Driver School Candidate

sounds good. any chance the IS250 AWD will come out in a manual?
Old 09-28-06, 08:30 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here at CL we will most deffinately reccomend the lexus LOL
Old 09-28-06, 09:07 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by SugarRush
Audi Quattro is 50:50 front/rear all the time, until slip is detected then the system will apportion torque accordingly.
The version of Quattro in the A4 uses a Torsen differential. The cool thing about this completely mechanical differential is that it is TORque SENsing, i.e., it doesn't need to wait until the wheels begin to slip before transferring torque. The Torsen can supply up to twice the amount of torque to the high traction side as it does to the low traction side, to prevent wheelspin. In other words, a Torsen directs power to the axle that is hardest to turn, much as a conventional open differental directs power to the axle that turn the easiest.

Also, although the A4 has a 50:50 bias, Audi's recently redesigned sporty models like the S4 and the RS4 have a 60:40 bias towards the rear.
Old 09-28-06, 10:46 PM
pizzakid13
Driver School Candidate

so the audi sacrifices some performance for better traction control?
Old 09-28-06, 11:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

Torsen information for the hardcore gearhead.

They make a great limited slip arrangement as long as one end has some grip. If either wheel (or end) completely loses traction, they are as useless as an open diff. Ask anyone who autocrossed a MkIV Supra and got a wheel in the air.
Old 09-29-06, 01:47 AM
vlkcheng
Driver School Candidate

I bet you get different answers to your question, Pizzaboy13 depending which forum u are on.
Old 09-29-06, 02:42 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the IS also uses the Torsen certer diff. My Limited 4Runner uses it and it works GREAT!

Koz
Old 09-29-06, 04:19 AM
Samanator
Rookie

One point you are missing is why do you want all wheel drive? If snow and heavy rain are considerations then this makes sense. I looked and you are in AZ so I don't think this is it. I have had both a 2003 A4 Quatro and a 2006 is250 rwd. The way I use to describe the Audi was it was a car that if you hit something you were aiming at it. But stuck on rails is not as much fun to drive. Most people who by AWD and 4WD never use it. I liked in on the Audi because of the heavy rain here but I have had no issues with the RWD IS250. Paying for some thing that you only use 5% of the time is a waste. I'm much happier to live without the extra 200 lbs. of the AWD hardware on a day to day basis. Now if I lived in Omaha I would only have AWD.
Old 09-29-06, 04:24 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

New Car Features to the rescue -
TRANSFER DESCRIPTION

On the AWD models uses a full-time UF1AE transfer.

This transfer uses a planetary gear type limited slip center differential. A wet type multi-disc clutch is used as the center differential limiting device, and the silent chain is used for transferring driving force to the front wheels.

This transfer also adopts the AWD control system. Based on driving conditions, this system optimally distributes driving force to the front and rear wheels. Distribution of the driving force is done by electronic control of the center differential limiting device.
So what they've done is used an electronically controlled wet clutch with a planetary gear set up. Very much like an automatic transmission set up. Works great for dividing up the torque.
Old 09-29-06, 05:26 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

we have BMW company cars here and I have to say I'm just not sold on the interiors. on every one we've had the leather seems thick and almost rubbery, the gauges are boring and everything else is just plasticy *had 330's now have new 325's so you know what model*

If i'm paying a lot more for something else I want it to be better and I just dont get that with the BMW's. I like the G35's interior better than the bimmers. The cars are over priced IMO.

Audi....ehhhh.... they all look the same. if it wasn't an S4 or better I'd pass.

Lexus all the way!!!!

Quick Reply: lexus or bmw/audi