IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Creaks & Popping Around Nav Console

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 09:06 AM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaks & Popping Around Nav Console

Howdy fellow IS owners. I've been hearing creaks and popping around my Nav console and center AC vents when I go over speed bumps (slowly), take turns, and even change lanes as I run over the reflectors in the road. I am curious if anyone else out there has heard these noises. And please, don't tell me to turn up the radio....

I did have a proble with a dash vibration/rattle that the dealer fixed. Just wondering if the plastic "popping/creaking" noises I am hearing are normal or if I should have the dealer look into it.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-06, 09:19 AM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring it to the dealer, I'm having the same problems recently, comes and goes. Going to try to bring it in this weekend. Gluck!
Old 09-29-06, 09:21 AM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Ok Kloh. So this is not "within spec". Thanks.
Anyone else...
Old 09-29-06, 09:38 AM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Just got off the phone with the service department. According to them, it is not normal. I have an appt to bring it in next Tuesday... Apparantly they can do something about it. (fingers crossed)
Old 09-29-06, 09:42 AM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

I've had my car in for squeeks, crackling sounds, rattling noises from the center console and dashboard. They have tried to fix it but it still makes these #$%%@#! sounds all the time. Usually it's when I drive over bumps/holes or uneven surfaces. However, I've also noticed that the crackling sounds around the NAV are more prevalent when the temperature is very hot (>80).

Part of the problem is that the streets by the dealer are in perfect shape whereas in my area they are really crappy. So the mechanic drives the car around the block at the dealer and says everything is fine.

I'm really getting tired of bringing the car back for these repairs as I look like a loser. I'm actually extremely disappointed in the fit-and-finish of the interior. I've never had a car with such bad rattling sounds and squeeks. It's totally unacceptable for a Lexus in my opinion.
Old 09-29-06, 10:21 AM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjohur
I've had my car in for squeeks, crackling sounds, rattling noises from the center console and dashboard. They have tried to fix it but it still makes these #$%%@#! sounds all the time. Usually it's when I drive over bumps/holes or uneven surfaces. However, I've also noticed that the crackling sounds around the NAV are more prevalent when the temperature is very hot (>80).

Part of the problem is that the streets by the dealer are in perfect shape whereas in my area they are really crappy. So the mechanic drives the car around the block at the dealer and says everything is fine.

I'm really getting tired of bringing the car back for these repairs as I look like a loser. I'm actually extremely disappointed in the fit-and-finish of the interior. I've never had a car with such bad rattling sounds and squeeks. It's totally unacceptable for a Lexus in my opinion.
I'm starting to get to this point at well. When I brought my car in for the dash vibration problem I felt like such pain in the a$$ but hey, I figured Lexus should not be making that type of noise. They did fix that problem and the customer service was outstanding. Hopefully they can do the same for this problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a 100% quiet cabin. I just don't think I should hear the plastic popping and creaking this frequently under "normal" driving conditions.
Old 09-29-06, 10:28 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't know what you expect them to do. Plastic creaks, it sucks, but is a fact of life. All they will do is stuff foam around or behind the problem area. You can probably do the same yourself and eliminate the risk of the service dept damaging something.
Old 09-29-06, 10:42 AM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I don't know what you expect them to do. Plastic creaks, it sucks, but is a fact of life. All they will do is stuff foam around or behind the problem area. You can probably do the same yourself and eliminate the risk of the service dept damaging something.
I agree. Plastic does make noise. Just figured it would not happen so frequently. I can understand the occasional sound but it's the frequency of occurances that i'm concerned about.
Old 09-29-06, 07:28 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My dash pops on hot day's. I think it might be some metal clips expanding or something like that. Anyway I decided to live with it cuz dealer visits are a bit of a hassle and it's hard to trace when it doesn't happen all the time. They'd probably make the noise worse by taking my dash apart to look for loose clips anyway.
Old 09-29-06, 07:59 PM
ano0oj
Pole Position

I have the same exact problem...and it seems to be in the right side of the dashboard...I can't decide what to do, a lot of you are speculating that the service dept. would make it worse...and then some of you are saying they'll fix it!
Old 09-29-06, 08:55 PM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjohur

My IS250 only has 600 miles on it, I only hope when i get to 5k it doesn't start that BS, cause themechanic and I will be taking some real road trips until he hears them, and gets them fixed!!
Old 09-29-06, 11:44 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the creaks/pops on hot days. Especially when the car is boiling on the inside and i turn up the a/c. But lately, temps havn't been so bad and i haven't heard a creek/pop in awhile from the center dash area.