IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

One sad, sad set of pictures (hit a curb)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 12:58 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it hurts to see this.. there should have been some sort of warning in the title of the thread...
Old 10-04-06, 05:15 PM
knolex2001
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
OK, "pro"...

Here are 3. I'm sure there are plenty more.
BMW 335i Sedan MT $38,700
Infiniti G35 Sedan MT $31,200
Volvo S60 R Sedan MT $38,385
The IS was ranked higher than the G35 and S60R in a recent Car and Driver comparison test. And Car and Driver hates Lexus and Toyota. That the collective genius at BMW, (if you don't believe it, just ask them yourself) has to resort to turbos to get 300 hp out of a 6cylinder, be my guest. It's not like they had reliable powertrains and electronics to begin with.

P.S. Don't argue with timur, it won't help.
Old 10-04-06, 06:32 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knolex2001
The IS was ranked higher than the G35 and S60R in a recent Car and Driver comparison test. And Car and Driver hates Lexus and Toyota. That the collective genius at BMW, (if you don't believe it, just ask them yourself) has to resort to turbos to get 300 hp out of a 6cylinder, be my guest. It's not like they had reliable powertrains and electronics to begin with.

Last I checked, the M3 is a six cylinder all motor with less displacement and more HP then the IS350.

Sorry, but BMW did not HAVE to resort to turbo's. It was simply easier and more cost effective to turbo an existing motor then to design a new one. Maybe a more accurate statement would be that BMW had to resort to turbo's to get 300HP out of that partiuclar motor.
Old 10-04-06, 09:31 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that wheel will buff right out...ive had worse.
Old 10-04-06, 11:20 PM
C-westin'FD
Rookie

that hurts!! ouch!!
Old 10-05-06, 04:55 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

1) Car magazine rankings mean very little to me. There are so many reasons why, that I'd rather not waste my time typing them all out.

2) He asked for cars that had 300 HP and handling to match (or beat) the IS350's, for under $40K. I listed 3, and there are plenty more.

3) BMW didn't have to resort to turbos to get 300 HP. We've already beaten that topic to death, and proved it, in another thread.
Old 10-05-06, 07:23 AM
benmunger
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

It's so sad, I can't even think of anything sarcastic to say.
"Man, that wheely sucks."

"That IS has really good curb a peal."

"I guess he really likes rim jobs"
Old 10-05-06, 07:31 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by benmunger
"Man, that wheely sucks."

"That IS has really good curb a peal."

"I guess he really likes rim jobs"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 10-05-06, 07:32 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

hahahahahhaha
Old 10-05-06, 07:33 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

i think that was the best "first post" ever. lol
Old 10-09-06, 05:42 PM
931timur
Driver School Candidate

man since i had that happen to my car, this is the first time i really lmao. man those three comments were incredible.. i am sorry to say this but that dumb a s s thinks g35, s60r competes with is 350 lost his f..ing mind. number one none of the three vehicles has anything comes close to the vdim. it doesnt have to be named that. tell me which of those three cars uses brake assist (ba), vsc, and anti-brakes to reduce the chance of having a fatal accident. plus i dont believe even the "safest" s60 has knee airbags, when you add a cd changer and LEATHER to bmw it becomes 40+.. and about the G35.. the most useless 270+ horse power vehicle in the market (unless you know how to control your clutch, cause auto sucks).. before anything g35 can use some better seals and sound proving or invest on double type to stop millions of rattles. Please if you dont know your s h i t, dont talk about it. and if you think they can compete or better the IS. then go to F U C King bmw site and talk **** about IS. I believe the IS is the best buy for the money. it is better built, more reliable, and better performance than anything you can buy under 40G four door sport sedan. prove me wrong now. and by the way i am not a used car sales man.. I am a senior certifed lexus sales associate for two years with a master degree in international economics from Tennessee Technological University. So please you are not speaking to a dumb *** that dreams about these cars.. i am in and out of everything you know.. i am sure that makes me a PRO over YOU>>
Old 10-09-06, 05:53 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

I just hope the frame wasnt bent in the process.
Old 10-09-06, 08:39 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

931timur, calm down guy. First off no one was talking **** about the IS. Saying there are better handling cars doesn't qualify as IS bashing, it's called being realistic. Secondly, being a sales person for two years and going on leisurely 3 mile test drives hardly qualifies you as being a professional driver.
Old 10-10-06, 08:44 AM
mvallido
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramon
Last I checked, the M3 is a six cylinder all motor with less displacement and more HP then the IS350.

Sorry, but BMW did not HAVE to resort to turbo's. It was simply easier and more cost effective to turbo an existing motor then to design a new one. Maybe a more accurate statement would be that BMW had to resort to turbo's to get 300HP out of that partiuclar motor.
The 335i is a watered down twin turbo and still have a lot of juice on it. Wait until the tuners tweak the boost up... turbo charging an existing motor that is not designed will cost more if you want it done right. Like 10K or more to turbocharged an M3 and still not street legal in California.
Old 10-10-06, 08:52 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Heh, some of you guys have stupid excuses like for the 335i, it needed to be turboed to compete

I've heard numbers that the 335i keeps up with the old M3. I've never seen an IS350 that can put up numbers near the E46 M3 (and I hate M3's with a passion, so it's not like I'm biased).

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is how you feel about the car. For some of us, that feeling of coming out #1 is a lot better than knowing you did it with NA or with FI, did it in a BMW or in a Lexus, did it in a black car, or did it in a white car.

But whatever, thread hijacking.

That wheels looks ripppppped!
BTW - the first pictures, are those of the front? I think they are right? So your front brakes are just plain rotors?

Quick Reply: One sad, sad set of pictures (hit a curb)