Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a couple more.

Old 10-02-06, 11:49 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xelvic
So do you think road and track is lying or there being feed bs by toyota?
From where does it say it's officially from Toyota?
Old 10-03-06, 01:43 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cspec
From where does it say it's officially from Toyota?
Yea...don't see it anywhere...

Unlike the new GTR comming out which Carlos Ghosn announced himself and they have it listed on their website...the supra pretty much is just a rumor mill thats lasted for a very long time... all we can do is hope.
Old 10-03-06, 02:14 AM
Sup
Driver

Originally Posted by cspec

Now, with the Supra. You're just beating a dead horse with this one. It's been talked about over and over again. It's just not going to happen. Why? Because why would Toyota make a car like the Supra when only a very, and I mean VERY, small segment of the market will buy it? I'm not sure if you realize, but to R&D a supercar, costs a lot of money. Also with standards set by today's supercars, it's probably even harder. Now more economics. Why in the world will Toyota, doing so amazingly well with its economical line-up, produce a car like a Supra, under the Toyota name?

Why would it not happen, Nissan's duo of the 350Z and G35 has been very successful. Now with the new Lexus IS, Toyota has the ideal platform to work with. Also, since when was the Supra ever considered a "supercar"?

The new Supra will likely have similar production numbers as the 350Z and the R&D costs won't be more expensive than any other car in Toyota's lineup, that's one of the main reasons for platform sharing.
Old 10-03-06, 08:23 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this is rumor guys...I mean...there it sits right in front of you. The article says plans "ARE" under way. There right about Toyota not having a performance vehicle in the line up, so why not start now? I'm going to stay optimistic for this car. I think there will be a lot of performance parts on this car that will be able to go on our IS350. I'm thinking headers, gears, light weight drive shafts, superchargers, turbo's, ect ...ect...ect. And if not, well I'll just buy the damn car then. Anyways, can anyone post the previous rumors with pictures from a reputable magazine?
Check out this link. Look for the 2002 rumor near the bottom of the page. http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/rumors.htm#5000gt

Supra rumors has been circulating since 1999. One description of the next Supra(first post) that sounds legit is the the lack of manual transmission. This is truly what Toyota would do.
Old 10-03-06, 08:46 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, not good news for "all" 2IS owners. Where's the love for the 250!! That's the one that needs more help from the aftermarket (for power reasons)
Old 10-03-06, 10:36 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sup
Why would it not happen, Nissan's duo of the 350Z and G35 has been very successful. Now with the new Lexus IS, Toyota has the ideal platform to work with. Also, since when was the Supra ever considered a "supercar"?

The new Supra will likely have similar production numbers as the 350Z and the R&D costs won't be more expensive than any other car in Toyota's lineup, that's one of the main reasons for platform sharing.
From an economical point of view. If you have received any form of education in Economics. What do you think would be most beneficial to Toyota? You do know that their success is highly related to the fact that they have made a lot of family cars that are extremely reliable. The same could go for VW's dominance in Europe. Affordable family cars is where the large portion of the market lies, not selling sports cars my friend. There is a reason Toyota killed their sports cars. How many Supras did they sell compared to Corollas or Camry's? Money is where these big companies want, and it's these compact in which they will make money.

Not saying it's not feasable that it couldn't return, but in a financial standpoint it doesn't seem like a very good choice for them to make. Sure they could just use the same platform as the IS350, but rumours have been, like stated above, been circulating for an extremely long time.

Yeah the 350Z and G35 have been a huge success because of the simliar platform, but that has, IMO, blurred the notion that G35's are supposed to be classier.

Finally, if you've ever experienced 2JZ, anything less than one, IMHO, is nothing that should be put into a car like the Supra.
Old 10-03-06, 11:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

performance models in a brand serve a purpose more than just making money, using your logic why would any car company make a sportscar if the bread and butter of world car sales is family/daily driving oriented, yet many companies do make performance models, its not mainly about money its about brand image and to give excitement to your brand
Old 10-03-06, 11:15 AM
Xelvic
Driver

My only thing is that in the magazine it looks like a real prototype car sitting there. It does not look like an artistic illustration like all the others.
Old 10-03-06, 01:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,036 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Look for the Supra in October of 2007.
Well? It's October 2007...
Old 10-03-06, 01:36 PM
Xelvic
Driver

Lobuxracer ..... you know its still 2006 right?
Old 10-03-06, 01:44 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My only thing is that in the magazine it looks like a real prototype car sitting there. It does not look like an artistic illustration like all the others.
"Photo illustration by Best Car"

This is all speculation. "4.3 liter v8 later in its life cycle". Too bad 4.3 engine life cycle is nearing its expiration.

I gave up on the hope of the next Supra, Toyota GT5000, or what ever they may call it. Until Toyota officially releases a statement regarding the Supra, it's just a rumor.
Old 10-03-06, 02:07 PM
The Chad
Driver

If you're going to build a flagship sports car, it's going to have to have the stuff to compete with the new GT-R and whatever Honda decides to replace the NSX with. That's where the brand excitement sits these days, in the 400hp+ club. //M3, Rumored IS500, Rumored RX-7, Shelby Mustang, etc... etc...

IMO 400+ hp or just don't bother. My 2 cents.
Old 10-03-06, 02:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why did people bother with the Evo STi 350Z G35, not everyone that wants a sportscar can afford something in the GTR/M3/IS500 area, it would be good for toyota to have a sportscar compete in the 30-40k range like these cars do
Old 10-03-06, 02:53 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
why did people bother with the Evo STi 350Z G35, not everyone that wants a sportscar can afford something in the GTR/M3/IS500 area, it would be good for toyota to have a sportscar compete in the 30-40k range like these cars do
Now you're just giving out suggestions. Yeah it _would_ be good. If Toyota has recently cancelled the Celica, their single longest running sportscar, what do you think it means about their perspective? Again, brings back the argument, name a car that Toyota has sent to the grave, and has brought back? Strange, I don't recall there being any.

Okay, so with your perspective of not everyone affording one. So what if people want a sportscar and can't even afford cars in that 30-40k range? Shouldn't Toyota do something about that too? I'm quite positive that there are more people being able to afford/want cars in the sub-30 range than the 30-40k afformentioned, because there aren't that many people that has that kind of wallet.

This discussion simply is pointless, on top of the fact that there has been so many rumours, year after year, with their competitor bringing promises of cars that will be successors to the RX-7, NSX, Supra... You really start to lose hope after, I don't know, a decade? If there is going to be a true replacement. I'm not saying that I wouldn't want one... But I'll believe it when I see it.

Quick Reply: Great News For The Aftermarket IS350!!