IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Great News For The Aftermarket IS350!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 04:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Xelvic
Lobuxracer ..... you know its still 2006 right?
Yeah, I know. I also know my good friend at Toyota told me not to hold my breath on a new Supra...but a V-10 might be showing up "someday."

I'm still pretty convinced 2007 will be a banner year for sports cars unless the economy takes a total dump.
Old 10-03-06, 07:17 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cspec
Alright man, I know you're probably so hyped about a Supra and all. Regardless if there is one, there will be more parts for the IS350 because it's already a very popular car.

Now, with the Supra. You're just beating a dead horse with this one. It's been talked about over and over again. It's just not going to happen. Why? Because why would Toyota make a car like the Supra when only a very, and I mean VERY, small segment of the market will buy it? I'm not sure if you realize, but to R&D a supercar, costs a lot of money. Also with standards set by today's supercars, it's probably even harder. Now more economics. Why in the world will Toyota, doing so amazingly well with its economical line-up, produce a car like a Supra, under the Toyota name?

I'm not sure if you realize, but Toyota is making more fast sedans than they are anything, and Lexus is probably where Toyota is going to focus their R&D on powerful engines. Hell, they even took out the Celica recently and I think even their 2ZZ-GE was taken out of the line-up.

Sadly, as much as I would love to see the Supra again, it just doesn't make sense for them to happen.

And that article... and those photochops, I have seen them for years now...
While it's true that the sportscar segement is very small, then why would anyone make sports cars? Why are there 350Z's, Miatas, Solstices, Vipers, Corvettes, Ferraris, Lambos, etc?

While I'll believe it when I see it, it isn't that crazy for Toyota to make a sports car, especially if (and that's a big IF) the car will be priced a bit under 30 grand. That widens the segment of buyers who would be interested in it. Also, Toyota can badge it as a Scion, and it would actually probably fit very well under that name (maybe call it the sP or whatever two letter combo Toyota can come up with). Toyota has a wide range of engines and chassis to play around with to come up with a Supra (okay...maybe not a WIDE range, but they have options). And seeing how Toyota is expanding/buildling more plants, some of their older/smaller plants could be converted in building the Supra.

But like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 10-03-06, 07:36 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by duckduck
While I'll believe it when I see it, it isn't that crazy for Toyota to make a sports car, especially if (and that's a big IF) the car will be priced a bit under 30 grand.
Then you basically have a Celica.
Old 10-03-06, 09:17 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

is this a real R&T article
Old 10-03-06, 11:02 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
why did people bother with the Evo STi 350Z G35, not everyone that wants a sportscar can afford something in the GTR/M3/IS500 area, it would be good for toyota to have a sportscar compete in the 30-40k range like these cars do
I guess I wasn't entirely clear in my 400+ hp generalization. Honda, for example, had the NSX and has the S2000. General Motors has the Corvette and it has the Solstice. Nissan has the new GT-R and the 350Z. The Supra has always been the big boy from Toyota, while the Celica was it's sports car little brother.

A redesigned Celica (or some replacement to it) should be what is in the 30k range, and the Supra be left to battle the larger cars.
Old 10-04-06, 12:36 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even they share the same body or platform the parts are still going to be different!! There is a Japanense domestic model call MarkX(Toyota) and it share the same platform, bady design and engine buy parts like Shocks, Strut bar and exhaust still different to the IS... So don't dream about that...
Old 10-04-06, 12:41 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Then you basically have a Celica.
...but the celica is about 17K. I'm talking about 29,999 for under 30K. And Toyota already has a celica replacement called the tC.
Old 10-04-06, 12:50 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by duckduck
...but the celica is about 17K. I'm talking about 29,999 for under 30K. And Toyota already has a celica replacement called the tC.
Are we talking about the 1500cc tC? No way that is replacement for the Celica... Just that Celica didn't sell good in US there are still new model comes out in UK!
Old 10-04-06, 10:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No, the Scion tC is a 2.4 liter with 161 hp and bags of torque based on the Avensis platform. The Celica was overpriced in the US. I bought the tC because it offered everything the Celica did and is a much more practical vehicle for everyday use. If you put the two cars side by side, only a few buyers would cough up the extra $5k (minimum) for the Celica's looks and 20 hp in the GTS. I didn't, and I wouldn't, and I'm a pretty hard core car guy.
Old 10-04-06, 10:25 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, there's no way a lowly Scion is a substitute for a Celica. On the Toyota food chain, Scion is at the bottom, then Toyota, then Lexus. Just the way they intended. Toyota is definitely looking to fill their void with a true sports car.
Old 10-04-06, 11:03 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, the Scion tC is a 2.4 liter with 161 hp and bags of torque based on the Avensis platform. The Celica was overpriced in the US. I bought the tC because it offered everything the Celica did and is a much more practical vehicle for everyday use. If you put the two cars side by side, only a few buyers would cough up the extra $5k (minimum) for the Celica's looks and 20 hp in the GTS. I didn't, and I wouldn't, and I'm a pretty hard core car guy.
Given the lightweight of the Celica and the awesome handling. I think that it's much worth buying over the significanly heavier, Scion tC. Weight is always a problem, and is the most important factor in performance sports cars, IMO.
Old 10-04-06, 04:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Neither is a sports car. They're both FWD. They're sporty cars at best.

I would not call the Celica "awesome" handling either. I spent money on Tein SS-Ps, Hotchkis sways, and 5Zigen 17 x 8.5s with 245/40/17s. It still cost a LOT less than the Celica, and it handled just fine for a FWD even compared to a Celica. You would need a watch and timed course to tell the difference in performance.

Also notice the NHTSA crash tests for the Celica say the back seat is too small to test. The back seat in the tC is identical to the 2IS with the exception of leg room. It actually has 3" MORE leg room than the 2IS. From a practicality perspective, the tC has the Celica beat to a pulp.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-04-06 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 06:05 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I CAN'T WAIT......... but Toyota has better make a stick version.
Old 10-04-06, 06:44 PM
Xelvic
Driver

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
is this a real R&T article

Yes, its the November issue.
Old 03-04-07, 04:44 PM
Xelvic
Driver

Here is some more info.

At the recent Detroit Auto Show, Toyota shocked the world with what may be the actual Supra replacement. Currently dubbed the FT-HS concept, this super-Toyota is actually a hybrid! It is powered by both an electric motor and a 3.5 liter V6 motor, good for over 400 horsepower. You know this is car is coming close to supercar territory when it promises to propel you to 60 mph in around 4 seconds. Here is the link with photos. http://natewhitehill.com/2007/02/27/...rtcara-hybrid/

Quick Reply: Great News For The Aftermarket IS350!!