IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Would this be fun for you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06 | 02:00 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Default Would this be fun for you?

Check out this ride on the autobahn by a guy in an Audi. IS350 won't go that fast but still would be nice to be able to drive one legally at a really high rate of speed... You might also notice that when your seriously cruising you keep both hands on the wheel...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...938&pr=goog-sl
Old 10-03-06 | 02:02 PM
pocky
mooncake master

What does this have to do with the 2IS forum?

Not trying to be a thorn in the butt, but it should be in car chat.

Would love to go experience the Autobahn though.
Old 10-03-06 | 02:08 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pocky
What does this have to do with the 2IS forum?

Not trying to be a thorn in the butt, but it should be in car chat.

OK, but I did mention the IS350 in the post did I not? Will try and keep all happy next time..........if there is a next time! I mean...what was I thinking?
Old 10-03-06 | 02:09 PM
The Chad
Driver

Needs to be in car chat.

That's a guarenteed painless death. lol
Old 10-03-06 | 02:39 PM
cajunboy
Driver

what is the fastest mph did you do on your 2IS. my fastest is 130 i believe.
Old 10-03-06 | 02:54 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by Gtidan
OK, but I did mention the IS350 in the post did I not? Will try and keep all happy next time..........if there is a next time! I mean...what was I thinking?
Think about it, just because you mention IS350, doesn't make it automatically a subject regarding the 2nd Generation IS.

Your post, is more direct towards the autobahn speeds, and driving legally at such speeds.

Not trying to be a buttcake. Sorry if I offended you in my post earlier.
Old 10-03-06 | 03:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldnt even go anywhere near that RS6. They will blow away IS.

And it's a wagon.
Old 10-03-06 | 03:44 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Think about it, just because you mention IS350, doesn't make it automatically a subject regarding the 2nd Generation IS.

Not trying to be a buttcake. Sorry if I offended you in my post earlier.
I was kidding ol' boy. NO problem, if I decide to post something similar I'll make sure it goes to the chat forum.
Old 10-03-06 | 03:45 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cajunboy
what is the fastest mph did you do on your 2IS. my fastest is 130 i believe.
110..........in my Lexus loaner......
Old 10-03-06 | 06:48 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Eh, no you wouldn't. At least, without either borrowing or buying a ridiculous expensive/fast car. Practically every car over there has a very low displacement/hp, many are diesels. Probably the fastest car you can rent from a chain is maybe a C280.

When I was driving across Germany, my rental 1.5 liter VW Golf struggled to hit 140kph. On a two lane highway, that's murder. The second you get into the left lane, someone's on your ***. I swear, tailgating is the German national pastime.

I suspect if you were in one of the few fast cars I saw (maybe like 3 Porsches, a few Audis, definitely no Ferraris or anything crazy), it'd be flooring the gas until you come up behind someone trying to pass, then slam HARD on the brakes, and repeat. I have no idea how cars like that last over a year of that kind of driving. Or how I didn't see more wrecks, either.
Old 10-03-06 | 08:35 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Well after living in Germany for 6 years all I have to say is that the Autobahn is a blast to drive but is also something that deserves alot of respect. Alot of cars over there are of lower displacement, this is due to the fact that your registration has alot to do with how much power your car has and it isn't cheap, also with the price of fuel over there I would be trying to save all I could as well. Cars over there also have to go through inspection every 2 years, this isn't no walk in the park inspection either, if your car ain't right you don't drive it until it is, I would almost bet that 1/2 of the cars on the road here today wouldn't pass inspection over there. People take driving over here for granted, almost a god given right, over there you have to pay to get your license, probably around $2,000 now, and you can't get it until you are 18. Now if you want a motorcycle license back to school you go with another $2k, I guess that's why you don't see more accidents over there..they actually learn how to drive whereas we take an amazingly easy written test and prove that we can parallel park...big deal
Old 10-04-06 | 10:19 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

If they know how to drive, why would they tailgate people going 150 mph?
Old 10-04-06 | 11:18 AM
CasperH
Driver School Candidate

Default Autobahn good for testing top speed

Trust me, just drove through Germany on my way back from Italy to Amsterdam earlier this week.... there are still loads of people there that haven't the slightest clue about driving (but then again consider why the US has a 65 mph speed limit...).

Having said that, it still is an absolute blast to only be inhibited by the power of your engine and just go without having to worry about losing your license, but you have to take driving very seriously with such huge speed .

I am waiting on delivery of my IS250 (as you know no IS350 in Europe) and I had to drive through Germany in my current car, a small fiat with a 80 BHP engine (still got to 200 kph/125 mph going downhill though), but you will not hear me complain about the IS250 being underpowered. After my break-in period the autobahn is where you see me verifying the top-speed of my Lexus
Old 10-04-06 | 07:33 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
If they know how to drive, why would they tailgate people going 150 mph?
Outside of built up areas the left lane on the Autobahn is for passing only, if somebody comes up behind you you shouldn't be in that lane anyway, that doesn't make it right for people to tailgate but then again the "average" person over there isn't inclined to slam on their brakes like half of the people here are when this happens to them.