Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

07 BMW 328xi or the Lexus IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 03:01 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Question 07 BMW 328xi or the Lexus IS250 AWD

My aunt is in the market for a new car and she is stuck on either the 328xi or the IS250 awd.

"Well, I'm trying to make my mind up between the 07 BMW 328xi or the Lexus IS250 AWD. I test drove the IS a few weekends ago and must say I was quite impressed. But I'm bulking about a few things that I won't have to worry about if I go with the BMW. So I thought I'd ask you about them.

1) The IS has high performance tires that only get about 20,000 miles if you're lucky. Have you had to get new tires yet and if so, how much does that type of tire cost? I remember the high performance tires on my 300ZX cost a bundle to replace……so I'm not too thrilled about this extra expense over 4/5 years.

2) Also, I understand Lexus's oil changes are every 5,000 miles and they're not freebies like with the Bimmer

I checked out the crash ratings and it looks as if Lexus might be comparable with BMW in safety, so that's a plus. Have you found any fault with your 350 and are you really happy with it? Or will you be trading it in soon on a newer, sexier model?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts about how you like your car and whether you've found any fault so far."

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-04-06, 03:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i think you only get 4 oil changes basically on the BMW since their intervals are 15k, 4 years sounds a lot more than 4 changes. What kind of tires are BMW using I wouldnt be surprised if they had similar life to the IS
Old 10-04-06, 03:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1) Tires should be similar on both cars. It's more about how you drive and treat the tires that determine how well they will wear out, not the type of tire on it.

2) You pay a little extra for the Bimmer, and the "free maintenance" is really part of the premium charge. Oil changes at the dealership are expensive, but it can be done with a local experienced mechanic for cheap(er).

Personally, I like both cars. If you are looking for a little more performance and better handling, the BMW will do. Otherwise, if you value comfort and reliability more, the Lexus trumps it.
Old 10-04-06, 04:10 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
1) Tires should be similar on both cars. It's more about how you drive and treat the tires that determine how well they will wear out, not the type of tire on it.

2) You pay a little extra for the Bimmer, and the "free maintenance" is really part of the premium charge. Oil changes at the dealership are expensive, but it can be done with a local experienced mechanic for cheap(er).

Personally, I like both cars. If you are looking for a little more performance and better handling, the BMW will do. Otherwise, if you value comfort and reliability more, the Lexus trumps it.
Ditto. I'm not sure if I would bother getting a BMW in AWD, I'd stick to RWD. I would look at a 2006 G35x. I hear they can be had for some good deals right now.

Neither the 3 xi or IS awd are fast cars, but my guess is that isn't a priority for your aunt. If she cares about handling, get the BMW. If not, she'll be happier with the Lexus.
Old 10-04-06, 04:20 PM
The Chad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would you not have to worry about with the Bimmer that you would with the Lexus?

Unless you're referring to the tires and regular service. You pay a premium for the BMW, but if you're leasing, you can find better leasing deals with the BMW.

The interior of the Lexus is prettier and the navigation system appears to be ages ahead of the Germans on interface.

Also, some people have had problems with German reliablity in comparison to Japanese reliablity. Some people don't mind if their car is in the shop as long as they have a loaner, but again something you might want to consider.

I think that what makes the 3 series special is lost with the AWD. That's my 2 cents though.

When it comes down to it, if she's happy with either interior, either exterior, and doesn't have badge loyalty, then it'd come down to lease or buy.

If she wants to buy, get the IS, if she wants to lease, get the BMW.
Old 10-04-06, 04:39 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Anyone have information on crash test ratings for both of these cars?
Old 10-04-06, 04:59 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
If you are looking for a little more performance and better handling, the BMW will do. Otherwise, if you value comfort and reliability more, the Lexus trumps it.
Well said. At the end of the day, I still buy the LEXUS over the BMW.
Old 10-04-06, 05:25 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Thank you to all that responded. I'll take your information and some information that I gathered and let her decide. I can't believe she is already giving up her 325xi that she's only had for 2 years. Maybe she is leasing, but maybe not considering she drives 80 miles to work and back each day.
Old 10-04-06, 05:56 PM
iStyle
Driver

We have an '03 325i in the family. Issues since we drove it off the lot:

- 4 sets of brakes
- 1 burnt out taillight
- 1 burnt out headlight
- 2 dead key-fobs
- defective sunroof (will not open past 1/4)
- defective wiper-fluid dispenser
- interior electrical glitches (dead lock button, hazzard button)
- ignition issues

As of Sunday morning, the car would not start. BMW towed it from our driveway midday Monday and has yet to determine what the problem is. They declined our request for a loaner.

Needless, to say...my Mom's next car likely won't be a BMW. I vote for the 250 AWD all the way.
Old 10-04-06, 06:50 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BMW's 'all-in' 4 year maintenance isn't that great a deal ....

Here are the exclusions from the BMW web site. Note that a lot of expensive stuff is not included. Looks like the most benefit is oil changes and brake pads if you need them.

"Exclusions from coverage: gasoline, gasoline additives, windshield washer additives, tires, wheels, wheel alignment, tire balancing and rotation. All work must be performed by an authorized BMW center."
Old 10-04-06, 08:07 PM
Mikes12985
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iStyle
We have an '03 325i in the family. Issues since we drove it off the lot:

- 4 sets of brakes
- 1 burnt out taillight
- 1 burnt out headlight
- 2 dead key-fobs
- defective sunroof (will not open past 1/4)
- defective wiper-fluid dispenser
- interior electrical glitches (dead lock button, hazzard button)
- ignition issues

As of Sunday morning, the car would not start. BMW towed it from our driveway midday Monday and has yet to determine what the problem is. They declined our request for a loaner.

Needless, to say...my Mom's next car likely won't be a BMW. I vote for the 250 AWD all the way.

Thats very funny to hear this because my brother has a 2001 BMW 325i and has similar problems such as....1 burnt tail light, 1 dead key fob, 1 defective sunroof, wiper fluid drains out after one push lol, 1 blown rear speaker as of 3 hours ago
Old 10-04-06, 09:13 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

I had three bimmers and happy with them. But If I have to start all over, I'll go with LEXUS or Infiniti. So if she's buying and planning to keep the car for a while, go with LEXUS. If she's thinking of replacing it after 3 years then lease a bimmer.
Old 10-05-06, 06:51 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

This is her response to all the information I provided. She is primarily worried about tires and safety. Any more advise?

"My warranty is about to expire so it's time to get a new car. That's my philosophy.....Besides buying gas, I don't like having to pay out of pocket expenses for car maintenance. It's a quirk of mine. And I'll be buying vs leasing. Although leasing has its advantages when you trade as often as I do, it's just as practical to buy if you choose models that retain their depreciation...so you end up building equity instead. Plus, I just like the fact that I OWN the car...it's mine and not the leasing company's.

You raise a good point about the 300ZX tires not being all season. Those tires back then cost about $300 a piece to replace, and I had to replace all four twice while I had the car. But what is cautioning about the IS high performance tires is the fact that Lexus actually puts a sticker on the car stating what kind of tires are on the vehicle and to expect approx 20,000 mile wear before replacement. You say to expect at least 35,000 (I think that's even pushing it for high performance tires period) So during the 4-5 years that I own the IS, I will absolutely have to replace the tires at least once and possibly even twice (unless I decide to give my "son" a little competition and take it to the track).

So my point is: My 325xi is a 2003 (I got it in Oct 2002). It has 46,500 miles, and I have followed BMW's recommended service schedule faithfully and to this day have not had to spend a penny on routine maintenance costs. And I still have the original tires which just passed inspection again last month. Granted the BMW has synthetic oil vs. regular, but that's not going to impact my decision. It's been a fantastic car for me. And of all the vehicles I've owned thus far, it ranks second under my 300ZX.

I'm glad to hear that you really like your car and have had no problems with it. Thanks for the reliability site....I will check it out. I do agree that BMW is over rated and it's 3 series interiors lack in style and features, especially compared to the IS. But I still have some homework to do before my comfort level is high enough to make the switch to a Lexus. I just don't feel I know enough about their line or reputation yet. At least, I know BMW's superior reputation when it comes to safety. And this is the number one priority of mine....I'm on the road a lot and if I'm in an accident, I want the best chance possible to come out of it with minor or no injuries. And as you are aware, not all cars are made equal in the safety department. I follow the National Insurance Institute's crash reports and the mfg stats are disturbing."
Old 10-05-06, 07:17 AM
mvallido
Pole Position

Make sure she does not watch the VW ads on TV then you will have more researching to do.
Old 10-05-06, 07:27 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mvallido
Make sure she does not watch the VW ads on TV then you will have more researching to do.
LOL yeah those commercials are disturbing for sure.

Quick Reply: 07 BMW 328xi or the Lexus IS250 AWD