IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

October Showers...OUCH!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 10:37 AM
Jkeys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default October Showers...OUCH!

So last night as I am trying to figure out what to have for dinner, the TV starts screaming about an approaching storm. I enjoy storms very much and was excited to get outside to see what was coming our way. As these really big fluffy clouds roll overhead the tornado warning system in our area starts to sound. I figure I better take the dog and wifey inside to watch from the comforts of our house when all of the sudden....bang, bang, Bang, BANG!!!!! We find ourselves square in the middle of a hail storm.

Most of the hail was about the size of a quarter but some were larger than a golf ball. So I quickly switch windows to look out at our cars and sure enough they were getting pelted with ice bouncing off of them left and right. I shut the blinds as I didn't want to see the carnage taking place and I waited for the storm to subside. After a few more minutes things calmed down and I headed outside. The IS held up better than our Grand Cherokee (suprising to me), but both were pretty battered. I guess it could have been worse, there are probably 50-75 dents on the the Jeep and 30-40 on the IS. Man it hurts to see that. I will get some pics next week as I am heading out for a business trip this weekend, but will post some when I get back.

Never had hail damage before and for the first time we have 2 cars less than a year old, they both get hit. Oh well, guess that is why I have comprehensive coverage.
Old 10-05-06, 10:42 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkeys
So last night as I am trying to figure out what to have for dinner, the TV starts screaming about an approaching storm. I enjoy storms very much and was excited to get outside to see what was coming our way. As these really big fluffy clouds roll overhead the tornado warning system in our area starts to sound. I figure I better take the dog and wifey inside to watch from the comforts of our house when all of the sudden....bang, bang, Bang, BANG!!!!! We find ourselves square in the middle of a hail storm.

Most of the hail was about the size of a quarter but some were larger than a golf ball. So I quickly switch windows to look out at our cars and sure enough they were getting pelted with ice bouncing off of them left and right. I shut the blinds as I didn't want to see the carnage taking place and I waited for the storm to subside. After a few more minutes things calmed down and I headed outside. The IS held up better than our Grand Cherokee (suprising to me), but both were pretty battered. I guess it could have been worse, there are probably 50-75 dents on the the Jeep and 30-40 on the IS. Man it hurts to see that. I will get some pics next week as I am heading out for a business trip this weekend, but will post some when I get back.

Never had hail damage before and for the first time we have 2 cars less than a year old, they both get hit. Oh well, guess that is why I have comprehensive coverage.
Any cracks in the glass? Looks like a the paintless dent removal clinics in your area will be hella busy for awhile now. Sorry to hear about the damage.
Old 10-05-06, 10:47 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear, but next time that happens run outside and put a thick comforter (or car cover if not at home) over the car.
Old 10-05-06, 10:54 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Why dont u park your cars in the garage? Sorry to hear about the mishap.
Old 10-05-06, 11:04 AM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by jman-is350
Why dont u park your cars in the garage? Sorry to hear about the mishap.
Not everyone has a garage.

I'm from Northern Ohio, and we didn't get much of anything, but a few buddies in Columbus talked about it was pretty bad. Friend of mine hydrolocked his car trying to go through a big puddle in his apartment complex.

Where in Ohio you from?
Old 10-05-06, 11:27 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is going to be thousands of dollars in damage per car. Expect a check from your insurance company around $5,000 or so.
Old 10-05-06, 11:39 AM
totoro1224
Driver

sorry to hear that!
Old 10-05-06, 12:28 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
That is going to be thousands of dollars in damage per car. Expect a check from your insurance company around $5,000 or so.
for paintless dent removal?
Old 10-05-06, 12:37 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
for paintless dent removal?
Ya man, each dent usually averages out to be like $50 each. That's what it was in my area and that's what the insurance company gave me when I had about 40 dents last year, a check for $2000.

However, that was over the entire car (roofliner, trunk, hood) so paintless dent was the cheapest option... If it's like 40 dents on just the trunk, they will probably just buy you a new trunk lid, instead of doing a $2000 check for paintless dent... Whichever is cheaper...
Old 10-05-06, 12:45 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow... sorry to hear that. i would hardly call those 'showers.' hope everything gets worked out with insurance. i'm glad to be in socal...
Old 10-05-06, 12:58 PM
flyfl1pguy

OUch! Sorry to hear that.
Old 10-05-06, 01:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Ya man, each dent usually averages out to be like $50 each. That's what it was in my area and that's what the insurance company gave me when I had about 40 dents last year, a check for $2000.

However, that was over the entire car (roofliner, trunk, hood) so paintless dent was the cheapest option... If it's like 40 dents on just the trunk, they will probably just buy you a new trunk lid, instead of doing a $2000 check for paintless dent... Whichever is cheaper...
ive seen some places in houston do a flat fee per panel, maybe 150 each panel
Old 10-05-06, 01:44 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

it hailed once in socal and my car was parked outside. i quickly ran outside with an arm load of towels and covered up my car with several layers of bath towels hahah.
Old 10-05-06, 07:19 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Man i'm so pissed too, i'm here in columbus, Oh and i got hit hard, Luckily i took the is350 to work, and my Gs430 was in the garge, but the tacoma was not spared. The tacoma was parked under the tree but still got ding up bad on the hood, roof, and fenders. HAIL STORM
Old 10-05-06, 08:14 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

I've always wondered about hail. Isn't a car considered totalled since the entire vehicle has damage?

Quick Reply: October Showers...OUCH!