IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dyno #'s for all of the exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 07:54 PM
Weedo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno #'s for all of the exhausts?

I have yet to buy an exhaust for my cars that I haven't done before/after dyno's (even if I've seen other dyno #'s) and I'll probably do the same here. But I'm curious about what you are all showing for gains from the various exhausts?

Is there a thread showing the before/after of all of them? (searched, but didn't find one...)

Thanks!
Old 10-09-06, 09:17 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not many people have dynoed the exhausts except maybe the lms. but as for the tanabe, hks, and greddy, no one has posted any dynos yet as far as i know. but its safe to say those three will yield ~5whp gains, if any. they are all axlebacks/rear sections only so you can't expect gains. everyone is buying them for the look/sound, not performance. if you want performance, the lms is supposedly gaining ~20whp but it removes the cats and for most of us that's a big no-no.

but anyway, have you decided which one you wanted? i've been waiting for dynos too but i'm probably going to wait till hks comes out with an aftermarket exhaust...
Old 10-10-06, 07:27 AM
Weedo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jsquared
not many people have dynoed the exhausts except maybe the lms. but as for the tanabe, hks, and greddy, no one has posted any dynos yet as far as i know. but its safe to say those three will yield ~5whp gains, if any. they are all axlebacks/rear sections only so you can't expect gains. everyone is buying them for the look/sound, not performance. if you want performance, the lms is supposedly gaining ~20whp but it removes the cats and for most of us that's a big no-no.

but anyway, have you decided which one you wanted? i've been waiting for dynos too but i'm probably going to wait till hks comes out with an aftermarket exhaust...
One of my recent "toys" was a Magnum SRT-8. The cat-back (probably better referred to as axle-back) put down 21rwhp and 20rwtq. I was shocked, by far the best gains I have seen from any of my cars, including turbo and supercharged cars. It will be interesting to see if there are any differences between the exhausts for the IS (as far as power)...
Old 10-10-06, 08:46 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the time, there is a difference between what is referred to as an axle-back and a cat back.

Cat back usually refers to the exhaust immediately behind the cats, which usually includes a y-pipe (for V engines), a mid section (or mid pipe) that usually has a resonator, and then the muffler/cannister(s) section, which is commonly referred to as the axle-back.

If 'Cat back' has all of the above components, then there is room for such gains as you saw in your SRT as there could be restrictions with crimp bends in the y-pipe, an overly restrictive resonator, etc.

The only thing to be worried about with a cat-back exhaust is sacrificing low-end torque for high end HP. While many people look at dyno numbers (true or not) and see a +20 hp gain in the upper RPM's, you could be losing performance down low (where you do most of your driving) as you need a certain amount of back pressure for torque. Just like modding any other part of a car, you usually have to give something up to get something.

You don't have to worry as much about the loss of torque with strictly a muffler/canister as it won't appreciably affect back pressure. But then again, that's why you won't see the hp gains in the upper RPM range also.

People looking for performance gains with an axle-back will most likely be disappointed. Do it for the sound and do it for the weight loss as most aftermarket axle-backs weigh less than stock. That is where you'll get some performance benefits.
Old 10-10-06, 09:30 AM
SILes300
Driver

People looking for performance gains with an axle-back will most likely be disappointed. Do it for the sound and do it for the weight loss as most aftermarket axle-backs weigh less than stock. That is where you'll get some performance benefits.
Very well said.
Old 10-10-06, 02:20 PM
Weedo
Driver School Candidate

If it was just a weight savings, I'd be better off running around the block once a month to drop from 200lbs to 185, LOL!

I can see spending $500 for a deeper, nicer tone, and a bit of looks, but at $1500 for some of them, it seems a little odd.
Old 10-10-06, 04:07 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by al503
Most of the time, there is a difference between what is referred to as an axle-back and a cat back.

Cat back usually refers to the exhaust immediately behind the cats, which usually includes a y-pipe (for V engines), a mid section (or mid pipe) that usually has a resonator, and then the muffler/cannister(s) section, which is commonly referred to as the axle-back.

If 'Cat back' has all of the above components, then there is room for such gains as you saw in your SRT as there could be restrictions with crimp bends in the y-pipe, an overly restrictive resonator, etc.

The only thing to be worried about with a cat-back exhaust is sacrificing low-end torque for high end HP. While many people look at dyno numbers (true or not) and see a +20 hp gain in the upper RPM's, you could be losing performance down low (where you do most of your driving) as you need a certain amount of back pressure for torque. Just like modding any other part of a car, you usually have to give something up to get something.

You don't have to worry as much about the loss of torque with strictly a muffler/canister as it won't appreciably affect back pressure. But then again, that's why you won't see the hp gains in the upper RPM range also.

Great post

This should go along in the FAQ!!!!

I would just add to the end of it, "do it for looks"