IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

why the intelligent tranny annoys me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 08:27 AM
jjwalker
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xelvic
I noticed the same thing. I think it has to do with the pedal, well in my car anyways. I notice that when I push the pedal down 3/4 the way I don't get the womp. However, if I push it all the way to the floor which feels like a foot it takes off like a bat out hell. I know it sounds simple but try it.
I read somewhere throttle-by-wire has a delay. I can definately feel it.
Old 10-12-06, 08:54 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jjwalker
With what the person quoted above, throttle-by-wire would have remained unchanged.

Notice if you place your car in power mode, it gear hunts more as speed varies, than it does in standard mode. Power mode more offers the response that some individuals want when they hit the go pedal, but that comes at the expense of a smoother ride- constantly jerking as torque is applied, while pulling back as the throttle is closed. I can say with a bit of certainty, that the tranny and its techonlogy isn't at fault here, it's just typical "Lexus" at work- Luxury/smoothness first, performance next. Standard mode offers lesser amounts of gear hunting, and to greater degree, snow mode less than standard...but both come at the expense of slower acceleration, where the car can utilize fewer gears to reach the same speed.
Old 10-12-06, 09:11 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm.. after reading this. i was wondering why when i test drove the 350 i wasn't so impressed... i thought you guys overhyped it or it was just overrated because i was expecting a big diff from my 250 but when i floored the 350 at the dealership test drive, i wasn't impressed at all.

anyway i'm glad i dont' have that problem~
Old 10-12-06, 11:17 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so here's a theory:

Some people have complained that during the 650 mile break-in period, the tranny learns to become pretty conservative. What if you constantly drove the new car in Sport mode shifting on your own. Would this prevent the tranny from learning your driving habits until you pass 650 miles and are able to drive like you would normally?

I know it would be annoying to drive like that for the first 650 miles, but in theory it could work.
Old 10-12-06, 12:05 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ihkskim
hmm.. after reading this. i was wondering why when i test drove the 350 i wasn't so impressed... i thought you guys overhyped it or it was just overrated because i was expecting a big diff from my 250 but when i floored the 350 at the dealership test drive, i wasn't impressed at all.

anyway i'm glad i dont' have that problem~
i would think that it's a pretty good difference..
Old 10-12-06, 01:12 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
i would think that it's a pretty good difference..
well i'm sure the diff is significan't.. but from the test drive .. the first thing iw ondered was.. why isn't it downshifting when i floor it?
Old 10-12-06, 01:27 PM
jezza
Driver

Sorry, but I think you're all on crack. I drove my car plenty conservatively during break-in. I also drive it pretty conservatively on a daily basis on my commute to work.

However, when I romp on it, the last thing I'd think was that it's slow or that the tranny is doing anything other than what I want and/or expect it to do. Of course, I drive 100% of the time in Sport shift mode, so perhaps I'm avoiding whatever issue it is you're all having.
Old 10-12-06, 06:37 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, I don't get it. My IS250 downshifts immediately as soon as I hit the gas. You want slow? Just try it in a Mercedes. You can count to three before it downshifts and by than it doesn't matter cause your already screwed. Horrible transmission. The Lexus downshifts as fast as any I've ever seen in my 67 years.....
Old 10-13-06, 08:33 AM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Again, I don't get it. My IS250 downshifts immediately as soon as I hit the gas. You want slow? Just try it in a Mercedes. You can count to three before it downshifts and by than it doesn't matter cause your already screwed. Horrible transmission. The Lexus downshifts as fast as any I've ever seen in my 67 years.....
Again... the amount of time it takes to downshift is NOT THE ISSUE. The downshift is almost immediate. The issue is that when i floor the gas pedal, the car does not pick up with any urgency. It SLOWLY climbs thru the RPM's as if i carefully pressed the gas rather than flooring it. The car is not sensing me stomping on the gas pedal. Imagine sitting behind the wheel of your car at a red light... then the light turns green and you stomp the gas... imagine your surprise when the unmodded Honda Civic next to you (who's not even trying to race you) whoops your @ss. That is what is happening to me. When i stomp the gas, my car does not act accordingly. Yes, it downshifts immediately when i hit the gas, but it accelerates like a turtle. It's literally as if the engine under the hood of my IS was swapped out with the engine of a Toyota Yaris. This problem may not be happening to most of you, but, I don't know how some people on here can't understand what i'm saying. I really don't know how to be any more clear. Anyway... this is the end of my rant. I'm done... the purpose of this post was to see if I am the anomoly here, or if the problem i'm experiencing has been happening to other people as well, because Lexus doesn't seem to be too concerned about it, or think it's a problem. Funny, cuz when i'm getting walked all over by a Nissan Sentra... it sure seems like a problem to me. Thanks to all who have replied. Peace.
Old 10-13-06, 09:40 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gtidan
I have a 2005 MB CLK 320 and I believe the transmission shifts to be better than my IS 350. I have no problems with the IS and love the car but like the MB tranny better. It is more responsive when I hit the gas.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 10-13-06, 10:08 AM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Buds
Ok so here's a theory:

Some people have complained that during the 650 mile break-in period, the tranny learns to become pretty conservative. What if you constantly drove the new car in Sport mode shifting on your own. Would this prevent the tranny from learning your driving habits until you pass 650 miles and are able to drive like you would normally?

I know it would be annoying to drive like that for the first 650 miles, but in theory it could work.
That theory kinda sucks. No offense. Since its supposedly an intelligent tranny, even after the break-in period, all you have to do is drive like a crazy man all the time, and eventually the tranny will learn and compromise. I know mine does.

Dont know about others, but my tranny adjusts to my driving habits really quickly... i'd say within a day or so. When I drive hard, it learns quick that I wanna go fast. On the otherhand, when I'm on a quarter tank of gas, and I wanna take it slow, being light on the gas pedal changes the tranny from crazy to calm... at least in my opinion. I guess I just don't have a lead foot.
Old 10-13-06, 01:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by jjwalker
There's no "delay" but the throttleplate doesn't move like a cable operated unit. It will remain more closed than you would expect to improve intake velocity and prevent poor emissions. There are a couple of benefits to this, first is you can use a bigger throttlebody than if it were cable operated, second is, you can keep a much tighter rein on emissions. Keep in mind, the intake cam timing is a moving target, and the throttle position is related to the intake cam timing, so there's a whole lot of monkey motion and balancing act going on when you step on the pedal and tell the ECM you want to go faster.
Old 10-13-06, 06:12 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn this is a long thread with a lot of non-information...

I think lobuxracer hit on this in one of his posts, but you can just leave the tranny ECU's backup fuse out all the time if you don't want it to learn "bad things". There are TONS of auto performnace enthusiasts driving around in all sorts of cars with missing ECU backup fuses. Otherwise, you can just make sure you only use ECT-PWR mode when you really mean it.
Old 10-17-06, 05:09 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Default Toyota released a TSB!

Hey guys, I was just reading that Toyota released a TSB for what seems to be the same issue on the ‘07 Camry. The fix is a software upgrade and it solves the problem. I wonder if they will release one for our Lexus?

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/17/c...boot/#comments
Old 10-17-06, 05:17 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CarDudeRI
At least I know that i'm not the only one this is happening to now... it's a relief (in a sense), but again... this shouldn't be happening to anybody.

As far as the electronically controlled throttle... I never even thought about that, and it's a very logical suggestion. I will bring this up with the lexus dealer. But if it's "learning" is similar to the tranny, then it looks like i'll have to do the same, and keep disconnecting the battery.

Anyway, to answer Shinobi's question: I can be driving on the highway at 65 mph in 6th gear (around 2.5 rpms) -
I don't know if I am reading this right but when I drive on the interstate I do 70-80, and at 80 in 6th gear I am at 2.5 rpms. Thought that was kinda odd.

Quick Reply: why the intelligent tranny annoys me...