IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

why the intelligent tranny annoys me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 10:11 AM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why the intelligent tranny annoys me...

This is the gripe that i've had with the tranny for a little while now. I understand that the tranny is supposed to "learn" your driving style and adapt to it, but I think it needs another level of intelligence to work properly. Here's why:

I usually drive fairly quickly. However, when i'm driving in rush hour traffic, I maintain an appropriate, calm driving style. What I have noticed is that when I do want to have fun and mash the gas pedal when it’s appropriate, the tranny doesn't react the way it should. It doesn't drop to the lowest gear possible for the best pick-up. Instead, it selects a less aggressive gear for the speed I'm going, as if my right foot said "let's pass at a moderate speed rather than ***** to the wall." It does this simply because during certain portions of my day, there is a need to drive calm and smooth. Doesn't the tranny realize that I like to drive fast more often than not?

Anyway, I brought this issue up with my service rep at Lexus, and he confirmed this with me by saying "a lot of customers say how the loaner car we give them is much quicker than their own vehicle, and it's because of the intelligent tranny. Loaner cars are typically abused and pushed by the customer, and therefore the tranny reacts that way." He then went on to tell me that if I wanted the tranny to act like it did on day 1, that all i'd have to do is disconnect the battery for 5 mins. The problem with that is the hassle of even having to take it to that step. Why can't there be a tranny reset button, or sequence of buttons or whatever inside the cabin? Or hell, why can’t the tranny have enough intelligence to understand that no matter when I mash the gas pedal, it means “MOVE”! The reason i'm bringing this whole thing up (besides being annoyed) is what almost happened to me the other day. Long story short... another driver wasn't paying attention and was about to smash into me. I slammed the gas to get out of the way, yet the car didn't react to my intention. Instead, it dropped to 4th gear rather than 2nd or even 3rd, as if it was not sensing my desperate need to get the hell outta the way. I almost got creamed, and that to me is dangerous. I'd feel better if the tranny didn't have any memory to it, and it just reacted on day 200 as it did on day 1. Does anybody else share this gripe, or had a similar circumstance happen to them?
Old 10-10-06, 10:28 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Just press the power/ect button when you want to drive 'spirited' . . .
Old 10-10-06, 10:41 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I have the same problem as well, even with the Power/ECT button on. My only solution is to switch to manual mode where you can control the downshifts and upshifts. This obviously wouldn't help you in an emergency situation like you described, but it helps when you want to have some fun.
Old 10-10-06, 10:53 AM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

Originally Posted by socalJD
Just press the power/ect button when you want to drive 'spirited' . . .
Like VikDiddy said, the ECT power button still doesn't help solve this situation... all it does is quicken the response time in how long the tranny takes to react, and hold onto a gear longer. Whether the power button is on or not, the tranny still doesn't drop to the lowest gear available... only the manual fuction on the tranny will force it to it's lowest gear.
Old 10-10-06, 11:05 AM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
I have the same problem as well, even with the Power/ECT button on. My only solution is to switch to manual mode where you can control the downshifts and upshifts. This obviously wouldn't help you in an emergency situation like you described, but it helps when you want to have some fun.
Guys, the S-Mode disables the AI-SHIFT feature (according the manual). Just drive in S-Mode, 6th gear, if you don't want to shift...
Old 10-10-06, 11:12 AM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS3FIDDY
Guys, the S-Mode disables the AI-SHIFT feature (according the manual). Just drive in S-Mode, 6th gear, if you don't want to shift...
I appreciate everyone's input... however, i've tried all of these things, and they don't solve my issue. I don't mind shifting, I enjoy it... problem is, even if I drive in S-Mode and leave it in 6th gear (keeping all shift gates open), when I mash the gas pedal, it STILL doesn't drop to the lowest gear available... I have to manually shift down to the lowest gear (usually 3rd when crusing on the highway). This is the only work-around i can find besides resetting the tranny by disconnecting the battery. And when I do that... the tranny works great for a week or so, and then reverts back to it's nanny-like ways.
Old 10-10-06, 11:50 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

In the highway situation in S mode, rapidly tap the downshift paddle and the car will be in the lowest gear possible. THEN mash the throttle and rapidly upshift to 6. The car will then shift at redline through the gears.
Old 10-10-06, 12:08 PM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
In the highway situation in S mode, rapidly tap the downshift paddle and the car will be in the lowest gear possible. THEN mash the throttle and rapidly upshift to 6. The car will then shift at redline through the gears.
Thanks Vik. This is something I do now... just worried when i have to make an evasive maneuver and instantaneously gun the gas as described earlier in my post to avoid someone else. Maybe nobody else has yet to experience this... but when you do... it will scare the crap outta ya when the car doesn't react they way you tell it to.
Old 10-10-06, 12:15 PM
Xelvic
Driver

I noticed the same thing. I think it has to do with the pedal, well in my car anyways. I notice that when I push the pedal down 3/4 the way I don't get the womp. However, if I push it all the way to the floor which feels like a foot it takes off like a bat out hell. I know it sounds simple but try it.

Last edited by Xelvic; 10-10-06 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 01:31 PM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

Originally Posted by Xelvic
I noticed the same thing. I think it has to do with the pedal, well in my car anyways. I notice that when I push the pedal down 1/3 the way I don't get the womp. However, if I push it all the way to the floor which feels like a foot it takes off like a bat out hell. I know it sounds simple but try it.
Maybe I wasn't clear??? But when I said that I "mashed" the pedal, I mean that I am pressing the pedal ALL THE WAY to the floor in one motion with enough force and speed from my foot. Normally, this action would cause any car to drop to the lowest gear possible for the greatest amount of thrust and pick-up. However, that is NOT happening in my 2IS. When I mash the pedal, the car responds with only slight pick-up as if I had only depressed the pedal lightly, and 1/4 of the way of it's full motion. Again... this problem goes away when i disconnect the battery and "reset" the transmission... but it occurs again within a week or so. IMO - this should not be happening at all.
Old 10-10-06, 01:46 PM
Xelvic
Driver

Your right, it should not be happening. When I punch it, it goes. By the way in my intial post I ment to say 3/4 of the way and not 1/3. I changed it. I wouldn't expect anyones car to move with only 1/3 of the pedal.
Old 10-10-06, 02:10 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe your pedal is loose..after all the pedal is electronically controlled.
Old 10-10-06, 03:18 PM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

i feel your pain...
yet another reason why i miss my old 5-speed. =(
Old 10-10-06, 04:54 PM
maz
Lead Lap

In my 1992 LS400, when I floor it it, there is a little button under the gas pedal that drops the tranny into 1st gear (I believe). Is this not available on the 2IS?
Old 10-10-06, 05:10 PM
Tuxlex
Driver

I've noticed this also. When I first got the car, I broke it in
using ECT power. It was quick driving around just localy.
Then one day I took on the freeway to the airport 50 miles
away. After that it was slow all the time.

The other day, one member said that you can drive the car
in snow mode and still have full power. So I tried it for a day
on my way to work. Well now it is slow as molassis.

I guess, I'll have to mash the pedal for a few days to get back
to normal.

Quick Reply: why the intelligent tranny annoys me...