IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Survey of 06 & 07 2IS Bugs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 02:34 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poman
TRAGEDY!!! That must be from the Turnpike. Please wash it ASAP! I travel turnpike often too for work and wash my car everyday after. That looks painful. I hope it's clean now!
ugh...wtf is that??..is that bug splatter? what continent did you get that in?
Old 10-12-06, 03:57 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
ugh...wtf is that??..is that bug splatter? what continent did you get that in?
FL during lovebug season. I drafted a Durango for a while as a bug blocker. Had to stop and wash the windshield so I could finish my drive home. Washed it as soon as I got home, the coat of wax I put on the day before helped out.
Old 10-12-06, 08:30 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

I had a similar thing happen here in LA going up one high altitude highway intersection ramp... all of a sudden tons of fn bugs, it was the weirdest hting

This 3M bra pays for itself every day!!
Old 10-12-06, 09:03 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SolaraToIS
2,100 miles and not a single problem. First car for me that didn't have
a little something that bugged me. Fingers crossed that it holds up
Thank you Lexus
Hey we both got ours about the same time...my 2007 IS250 starfire pearl was delivered on 08/30/06 too and i bought it on 09/13/06.
I have had no problems besides the squeaky brakes and occasional crackling noises in the dash...
Old 10-12-06, 09:34 PM
juncho
Rookie

For minor interior squeeks and rattles, is this something that is covered by warranty?

If so, what's everyone's experience in getting it fixed by the dealer? I have a couple: 1) near the driver seatbelt area and 2) in the dash.

Anyone been successful in getting rattles fixed w/o the dealership accidently causing additional rattles in the "fixing" process?
Old 10-13-06, 04:02 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by juncho
For minor interior squeeks and rattles, is this something that is covered by warranty?

If so, what's everyone's experience in getting it fixed by the dealer? I have a couple: 1) near the driver seatbelt area and 2) in the dash.

Anyone been successful in getting rattles fixed w/o the dealership accidently causing additional rattles in the "fixing" process?
Getting rattles fixed at the dealer is akin to walking in and saying "Good morning, I'm here to **** off all the mechanics." In the rare event they can even replicate the particular rattle, there's every chance they're going to make an even bigger mess of things by pulling apart door panels, headliner, etc. etc.

Personally, I've chosen to live with it.
Old 10-13-06, 04:38 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are making me nervous about buying an IS. I have a big pet peeve about noises in the car. I was really hoping that the interior of the IS was going to be really tight and not make lots of rattles/squeeks and such noises. Please tell me the noises you guys have are really easily id'd by the mechanics and fixed and that they really are rare. It is one of the reasons I am choosing the Lexus over a BMW.
Old 10-13-06, 05:40 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jezza
Getting rattles fixed at the dealer is akin to walking in and saying "Good morning, I'm here to **** off all the mechanics."
ROTFL! Isn't that the case... that's why when I started having the issue with wind noise from my moonroof I waited to see if I could live with it or if it would correct. After it got so loud that you could hear it above to the radio at sound level 40 and I asked other IS owners about it, I had to break down and take it to the dealer. Fortunately it was bad enough that they had no problem saying it was a defect... Now if they could only fix it.

I'm scheduled to have all of the workings of the moonroof (glass, seals, rails, etc.) replaced. Lexus Corporate has hinted that if this doesn't fix the issue they will replace the car.

As stated above, aside from this one issue, the car's been great and I love it!
Old 10-13-06, 05:43 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

TorontoTL, aside from the moonroof sounds leak (which is a total fluke), my IS250 is dead quite. I'm sensitive to sound too so I know where you are coming from.
Old 10-13-06, 05:59 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SerKevin
Lexus Corporate has hinted that if this doesn't fix the issue they will replace the car.
If that happens, you'll have to pay the difference between the depreciation of your car (wholesale value), and the cost of the new car, plus tax, title, license. In other words, you're just doing a normal trade-in for a new car. They get more of your money, and your old car goes right onto the used car lot where they sell it for even more profit. And in the end, you just get another car with the same rattle and squeeks.
Old 10-13-06, 07:53 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
If that happens, you'll have to pay the difference between the depreciation of your car (wholesale value), and the cost of the new car, plus tax, title, license. In other words, you're just doing a normal trade-in for a new car. They get more of your money, and your old car goes right onto the used car lot where they sell it for even more profit. And in the end, you just get another car with the same rattle and squeeks.
No way... He can get a new car, for zero cost... I've seen it done before and I've done it myself, with a Jaguar...

Pay the difference?!?!? wtf is that... that's if you cave in...
Old 10-13-06, 09:12 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
No way... He can get a new car, for zero cost... I've seen it done before and I've done it myself, with a Jaguar...
All because of a rattle in the sunroof?
Old 10-13-06, 09:31 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

FF_, did you even read my post???

Not rattles, wind noise (think window half cracked and whistling), it LEAKS like a sieve!

Because the car was two weeks old when this started and it's still <2 months (they had tried 3 times to fix already). They said if it is a manufacturing defect, they'll replace the car for free.

Last edited by SerKevin; 10-13-06 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-13-06, 09:43 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
All because of a rattle in the sunroof?
No, there was an odor coming from the vents that I didn't like...
Old 10-13-06, 12:02 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Two months and absolutely no problems .....

I haven't had a tick, squeak, groan, grunt, rattle or other noise that I've heard from my '06 IS350, and I hope it remains that way. The only thing that I'm remotely aware of is higher than 'normal' tire noise, but I chalk that up to the sport suspension and low profile tires. Certainly not a defect.

I can understand everyone's concerns over noises in their machines but these cars are built by humans with thousands of interlocking parts. There will always be variations in how they feel or react. That's why you can drive two identical cars back to back and they will feel minutely different. At the end of the day a Lexus is pretty much trouble free and dealer's, for the most part, try to give good service. But they are stuck with many of the same problems as the rest of the world, and that's getting qualified technicians. That is obviously Lexus' problem but is not a small problem facing the industry.

I also collect wrist watches, and there are many brands that cost far more than a Lexus. I'm talking $100,000 on up (these are way out of my price range). But these essentially hand built machines still have problems that crop up soon after they leave the 'factory', or the owner sees a slight 'defect' in the dial, or feels something 'wrong' when winding it. It's the nature of the beast. The more precise something becomes the more we expect perfection. Unfortunately the business model has set these companies up, like Lexus, so they appear to be perfect in execution. (The whole 'Passionate Pursuit of Perfection' thing.) Unfortunately we are dealing with human beings making objects. We are seeking perfection in a non-perfect world. It ain't going to happen.

Quick Reply: Survey of 06 & 07 2IS Bugs.