IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Survey of 06 & 07 2IS Bugs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 12:10 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I one day dream of owning a phat daddy minute repeater... patek maybe... or a breguet...

Good watches do start at $100k, that is very true... The ones I want are more like $200k
Old 10-13-06, 12:34 PM
Heltah
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dunno if this was already brought up,

Rattling at the rear end over bumpy road or lane changes

Parking brake cable tension too tight from factory. (over factory specs)
1st service they loosened it to the factory spec. Service guy said about
60% of the IS's on the lot are the same. But not too many people complained
about it, he said most of the owners dont drive with the windows down.
Old 10-13-06, 01:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
~behind upper seat belt pivot, B-pillar rattle for me~

After many miles of trying to figer out where the noise is comming from, I concluded that it is from the window. Rattle is only noticable with window up, not cracked or opened. Let me know what you guys think.

Anyone took theirs to dealer?

I looked up dealer service bulletins and not a thing about driver side rattle.
Originally Posted by AndyL
I have the same issue but it is intermittent and depends on the room temperature
Exact same issue. Only on certain roads, not temperature dependent, and goes away with slight outward pressure on the window. It's not audible if I'm playing music except on certain roads with a very grainy surface.
Old 10-13-06, 01:07 PM
omggimme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please tell me someone else is having this problem. I have an 06 250 RWD that I bought 2 months ago. Periodically for the nav system, I'll pick "Audio" (second to top button on the left) and it will switch to the nav map screen. Sometimes I'll select "Climate" (top button on the left) and again will switch to nav map screen. WHY does it like going to the map so much?? It doesn't happen all the time so I cannot replicate it for the dealer. Any suggestions?
Old 10-13-06, 01:36 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

I dont know if anyone noticed, but if you open the rear windows all the way down(leave the front windows closed), you will feel like you are in a tank or something. The amount of wind is excessive. It is not a defect but just letting people know not to do so.
Old 10-13-06, 01:38 PM
cali_guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by omggimme
Please tell me someone else is having this problem. I have an 06 250 RWD that I bought 2 months ago. Periodically for the nav system, I'll pick "Audio" (second to top button on the left) and it will switch to the nav map screen. Sometimes I'll select "Climate" (top button on the left) and again will switch to nav map screen. WHY does it like going to the map so much?? It doesn't happen all the time so I cannot replicate it for the dealer. Any suggestions?
Try to see if you have the setting on for that option in your Navi option menu. I remember mine was doing that too and i turned that feature off in the menus.
Old 10-13-06, 01:49 PM
omggimme
Driver School Candidate

thanks cali_guy, do you know what the setting is called? i thought it was some sort of glitch in the system where i'd select climate or audio and it goes to the nav map.
Old 10-13-06, 02:01 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

that's a setting... i forget where to set it tho. might be in the "menu" settings???
Old 10-13-06, 02:12 PM
omggimme
Driver School Candidate

thanks! i'll check it out tonight. *crosses fingers*
Old 10-13-06, 02:29 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
. . . I also collect wrist watches, and there are many brands that cost far more than a Lexus. I'm talking $100,000 on up (these are way out of my price range). But these essentially hand built machines still have problems that crop up soon after they leave the 'factory', or the owner sees a slight 'defect' in the dial, or feels something 'wrong' when winding it. It's the nature of the beast. The more precise something becomes the more we expect perfection. . .
Just curious - since you collect 'em, what is an acceptable lapse for self winding chronograph watches - would you say that losing a second a day is excessive ? Should Rolex be held to higher standards ???
Old 10-13-06, 02:37 PM
veejay
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Rattle

Hi,
i have a rattle from the air vent near the driver's door.
I have sprayed the area with WD 40 , but no improvement.
Any ideas?
Old 10-13-06, 04:08 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A bit off topic ..... but a parallel to the car industry

Originally Posted by socalJD
Just curious - since you collect 'em, what is an acceptable lapse for self winding chronograph watches - would you say that losing a second a day is excessive ? Should Rolex be held to higher standards ???
Bear with me here as it is going to come back to Lexus.

Accepted industry standards for a watch to be a 'chronometer' is a daily rate of -4/+6 seconds variation. Most any mechanical watch can be adjusted to this rate. If you have a mechanical watch that keeps consistent time within 1 second per day you have a phenomenal timekeeper.

To the high end watch world Rolex is a mid-tier brand. They get kudos for making 800,000 rugged watches a year to good timekeeping standards, but the movement quality from a finishing, or fineness, perspective are average at best. To most people Rolex is the be all, end all, of watches. But that just shows what clever marketing and market positioning can do. They are a good watch, but not a fine watch in the class of an Audemars Piguet or a Vacheron Constantin, brands not well known by the public.

But here is a parallel to the car industry. This kind of marketing concept of Rolex works in all kind of businesses, especially cars. Business usually works on the principle of image. If you can get most people to BELIEVE that a certain watch (Rolex, for example) or car (Lexus maybe ?) is the best product out there it becomes irrelevant how well the item actually performs or compares with its competition. This is not to say Rolex or Lexus are inferior or bad products, they are not. But they are both positioned to give a certain cachet to their owner, and to make other people want them. They are aspirational products. But neither of them are really the 'best' made.
Old 10-13-06, 05:04 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07Txlex
Actually with the radio off the rearview mirror vibrates to the point where you cannot see out of it when any bump in the road is encountered.. Of course it will shake with bass, I know that BUT it should not make a audible noise, none of my other cars have inculding the 300 which the system came directly from.. I just wish someone had a fix
Same problem here... I was hoping it was fixed for '07, as the IS250AWD loaner I'm in does not seem to have NEAR the vibration problem. But apparently others in '07s are.

Originally Posted by veejay
Hi,
i have a rattle from the air vent near the driver's door.
I have sprayed the area with WD 40 , but no improvement.
Any ideas?
I actually think I have the same rattle... that's probably a dealer question. Mine is a phantom rattle, meaning everytime I take it in, it's gone!
Old 10-13-06, 05:20 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Like I've said before, 99% of rearview mirror vibrating problems can be fixed by just tightening the mount.
Old 10-13-06, 05:39 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technique
Like I've said before, 99% of rearview mirror vibrating problems can be fixed by just tightening the mount.
I like your optimism. The dealership told me there's not a way to tighten it anymore than it's been tightened. Perhaps they are lazy. I will confirm this when the car comes back.

Quick Reply: Survey of 06 & 07 2IS Bugs.