Calling All people with after-market Sub System

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 08:01 PM
Kuki_350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling All people with after-market Sub System

I know that we have a lot of Audiophiles in CL, so i have a few questions:

First, i have the ML system with Nav, overall the system sound very good to me but i need a little more Bass to make the system better.
I have read some threads on this subject but so far i have not be able to answer all my questions. So I turn to fellow CL for some guidance:

1) I would like to run a JL audio 8W7 sub with a Rockford Fosgate (RF)
T10001 amp (rated 1000W), will this be too much bass for an everage person? Because I currently running a 12" RF stage II sub with this amp and it is too much bass and too heavy for my taste; I want to keep it more suble. Also is the amp too much for the JL sub?

2) What would be the ideal box (seal 0r ported) and volume size of the box?

3) Will the car power dist. system have enough power to power the sub/amp without affecting the overall car's electronics and lighting system? Will the extra Capacitor help (i have heard no help at all) or i have to upgrade the Alternator, better grounds...etc?

4) Has anyone currently has the JL Audio 8W7 in their 2IS? Please give me your verdict.

I am planning to have this install soon so any response would greatly help. Thanks in advance,
Kuki
Old 10-12-06, 06:03 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

1. As a previous 8W7 owner, it is an excellent sub if installed correctly. However I blew the sub on a 500-watt amp. As far as too much bass, turn the amp gain down so it will blend in with the main speakers at a level you like.

2. Use a sealed box between .8 and 1.0 cu ft in size.

3. Yes, the car will have enough power for the 1000-watt amp. I currently have about 1700 watts in my 2IS and have no problems. However I don’t turn the volume up loud much at all. If you turned up the volume and left it for a while, then you might have some problems. Just make sure you run a 4 gauge power wire or larger from the battery to the amp with a fuse inline in the power wire near the battery and before the wire goes through the firewall. Use the same size wire for the amp ground.

4. See #1.
Old 10-12-06, 07:01 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the diameter of the sub you put in will effect the depth frequencies of your bass.
the smaller the diameter the more poppy the bass will sound. the bigger the diameter, the lower frequency of bass you'll be able to hit.
i think if you like rap - go bigger diameter, for techno/etc go smaller.
Old 10-12-06, 07:19 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dfw350
the diameter of the sub you put in will effect the depth frequencies of your bass.
the smaller the diameter the more poppy the bass will sound. the bigger the diameter, the lower frequency of bass you'll be able to hit.
i think if you like rap - go bigger diameter, for techno/etc go smaller.
Actually that is incorrect. A smaller sub can play the same "deep" frequencies as larger subs, but most of the time not as loud. The overall loudness of a sub mostly comes from how much space the cone displaces while it operates back and forth. Of course a 12" sub will has more cone area than a 8" sub if both are at rest. But if the 8" sub cone can move in and out much farther (the measurement is called the X-max) than the 12" sub, then the 8" sub could possibly sound louder at the same frequencies as the 12". The 8W7 has a very large X-max and can displace more air space than two normal JL 10W6 subs. When I was using the 8W7 I had several people think I had a 12" sub in my car when playing notes as low as 18Hz.