IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

rattles by my left ear

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 03:48 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by muzzman1
I read a while ago that there was a rattle in the B-pillar but in my case (and with a few other's here apparently) the problem is in the door itself, that is why when pressure is applied to the door/window, the rattle stops....
.....I would also like to add that my rattle HAS returned!! So if anyone is successful in isolating this rattle please let us know....I will probably have some time in the next couple days to take it apart again, and see if I can isolate it...
could you take some pictures of how to take off the door? I've tried in the past but felt like i was going to break the panel in half when I pulled. I'ld like to see what you do to get it off and where and how hard to pull.
Old 10-17-06, 06:28 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I will update this post when I get it back. Wish me luck!
Old 10-19-06, 02:53 PM
Mushu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I will update this post when I get it back. Wish me luck!

I rant into this rattle issue for a week. I could not figure it out where it came from. Do you have any update?

Does any one know the root cause? Thx

Old 10-19-06, 03:04 PM
Mushu
Rookie

I found this information from google

If a creak, tick, or rattle noise is heard at the top or bottom of the windshield, the source of the noise may be the two windshield stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield or the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield. This bulletin provides the recommended repair procedure to eliminate these types of noises from the windshield area.

NOTE: Some vehicles have both stoppers and retainers while others may only have stoppers at the top of the windshield. Use the chart in this bulletin to determine the location of the windshield holding devices.

Old 10-19-06, 08:07 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

There is a Service Bulletin on the windsheild problem. I have the repair instructions from Lexus TS website saved on PDF if anyone is interested.

Anyways, I got my car back from service yesterday. Guess what? The rattle is still there after a full day at the dealer. They said they padded the entire door panel and it should do the job.
I called them today and told them it is not resolved. They will replace the entire door panel next week. We will see if that works. I will keep everyone updated. It is too bad that I am the guinea pig.

Last edited by Dj_AmtraX; 10-19-06 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-19-06, 10:33 PM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

I've supposedly had both of my door panels replaced but the noise has not gone away. This car has the worst interior fit-and-finish of any car I have had. My Nissan Sentra which cost me $9950 had better interior quality. I've got rattles coming from the dashboard, doors, NAV, etc. I've brought the car in 4 times and I'm tired of going back in ... I look like an idiot. A ^%### Toyota Corolla has better interior quality!
Old 10-19-06, 10:45 PM
bryan83
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem with IS250, but my dealer found the problem. since i know the lexus manager where i go, he gave me a fully loaded RX until they fixed it....anyways, the noise is coming from the seatbelt holder but when they added a felt between, it was still rattling......after a day they found out it was the DOOR HINDGE LOCK.....so the noise was rattling through the hole to my EARS......

SO hope this helps u should tell your dealers maybe its the same problem as mine and enjoy your ride rather than thinking about that rattle

Old 10-19-06, 11:09 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Bryan83,

Which dealer did you go to? What does you service receipt say in exact words. I want to share it with the service tech when I bring in the car next week.
Old 10-19-06, 11:54 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Originally Posted by bryan83
i have the same problem with IS250, but my dealer found the problem. since i know the lexus manager where i go, he gave me a fully loaded RX until they fixed it....anyways, the noise is coming from the seatbelt holder but when they added a felt between, it was still rattling......after a day they found out it was the DOOR HINDGE LOCK.....so the noise was rattling through the hole to my EARS......

SO hope this helps u should tell your dealers maybe its the same problem as mine and enjoy your ride rather than thinking about that rattle

Unfortunatly in my case and I believe in other's it is not the door hinge simply because when I push on the top of the door panel or the window it goes away....I AM going to find it...and I will keep you all posted! Im splitting town on vacation for a couple weeks, so when i get back I will tackle it...(I hope)
Old 10-20-06, 12:42 AM
muzzman1
Driver

Default I stand Corrected!!

Ok so bryan83 Your post got me thinking after my last reply. I mentioned that we have to push out on the panel, or the window....so I proceeded to have a look at the door hinge on our cars....and here's what I found. After locking the hinge without closing the door, simply with a screwdriver I found that the latch tip is metal! And apparently in my case it was rattling against the latch on the body (the C shaped metal piece in the pictures) So I simply cut a small piece of scotch tape to cover the inboard part of the C latch facing outward. I hope you guys can see the tape on the piece so that it makes sense. I took the car for a spin on and NO RATTLE! I'm going to give it some time to be completely satisfied because this rattle does come and go....but at least if this does fix it...it is a VERY easy fix you all can try....

Old 10-20-06, 04:07 AM
b3dlam
Driver

great work muzzman!

while i dont really have this issue, i think many isx50 owners will thank you if it turns out to be the problem!
Old 10-20-06, 11:36 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Muzzman,

Are you going to leave the tape there or take it to the dealer? I will try it on my car today.
Old 10-20-06, 11:50 AM
bryan83
Driver School Candidate

Bryan83,

Which dealer did you go to? What does you service receipt say in exact words. I want to share it with the service tech when I bring in the car next week.
i go to Richmond Hill Lexus in Canada. never go to Don Valley Lexus, bad experience . i check my work order and they didnt put any comments on it. the manager only told me where the problem was.

bryan
Old 10-20-06, 01:54 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Muzzman,

Are you going to leave the tape there or take it to the dealer? I will try it on my car today.
Im definetly not making a special trip for it, so the tape stays, but when there are more substantial issues to bring it in I will.....but for now at least the rattle has not reappeared.
Old 10-21-06, 07:59 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Anyone that had this rattle applied the tape?

Quick Reply: rattles by my left ear