IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

rattles by my left ear

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06, 09:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,996 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Not yet, but I have a 500 mile trip to make on Monday with a return on Tuesday. It'll be worth a shot to see if it quells the noise.
Old 10-22-06, 09:37 PM
savon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by muzzman1
Anyone that had this rattle applied the tape?
I want to say thank you and God bless you. I have a ES350 with this rattle problem almost for 4 months since I bought the car. The dealer couldnt fix it. I applied the tape the way you had shown but I still could hear the rattling noise, so I wrapped the whole C-metal with the tape, and test drove again. The noise was gone. I drove all the bumpy and rough streets I knew of for half an hour. 90 percent of time I couldnt hear the noise. The tape lost some of its effectiveness on the way back home but the noise was still nothing compared to what I could hear in my left ear everyday. When I got home, I got rid of scotch tape and used electrical black tape which is a little bit more thicker and test drove again. I drove the car for about 5 minutes on two of the worst streets in my neighborhood. Downhill there was absolutley no noise but up hill there was a little noise. I have wrapped another layer of tape on top of existing one and I am going to test it again tomorrow on the way to work. At least I know where the problem is. Now I can go to dealer and tell them where the noise is coming from. It is really disappointing that a company like lexus (toyota) doesnt address this problem. I went to toyota forum and people there had the same rattling noise problem. I noticed today that both camry and lexus have the same door locks. In my opinion, there is something wrong with the lock itself or the way it is assembled in the door.
Old 10-23-06, 02:28 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the tape trick on one side and no luck for me. I will try taping the entire thing. Wish me luck on the way home from work.

Otherwise I have another appointment with the dealership to replace the door panel like they suggested. I will keep everyone posted. I till think that mine is the window.

I hope that the dealer doesn't do more damage.
Old 10-25-06, 08:08 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Okay everyone, I took the door panel off yesterday night and the ratlle is still there. I tried the tape trick, but no luck. I asked the service tech to call me today so we can chat about this. Anyone have any ideas? I really sounded like it is comming from the window.
Old 10-26-06, 01:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I also tried the tape (electrical tape) and it made no difference at all. I did a more definitive test to determine if the window adjustment was at fault, and no, it is not the window.

I had the pleasure of riding on the passenger side for part of the trip as well, and guess what? Same noise on the pax side too.
Old 10-26-06, 08:15 AM
eddo1
Driver

Try moving that seatbelt adjuster thing on the doorsill all the way down or all the way up. That seemed to help for me.
Old 10-26-06, 10:23 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by eddo1
Try moving that seatbelt adjuster thing on the doorsill all the way down or all the way up. That seemed to help for me.

yes, this is what i did and the rattling went away.
Old 10-26-06, 02:05 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

I have the same issue, however it seems to be coming from the seat belt holder on the passenger side. While driving I actually leaned over and pressed on the seat belt holder and the rattle went away. I let go and 10 seconds later it was there again. I havn't noticed it for 2 days for some reason, so it seems to come and go. I'll try the tape trick next time it comes up, but it is very annoying. Now that it is getting colder outside, I fear that the rattles will be comin in droves.
Old 10-26-06, 06:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If I press outward on the door, the noise stops. I can use the window or the interior panel, but the result is the same. No more noise.
Old 10-28-06, 12:13 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Time for an update. My car is still in service for the forth day now. They replaced the door panel and adjusted the window track and weather strip. They will replace the door latch assembly today. The service tech called Lexus tech support and they have no idea where the noise is coming from. They will change one thing at a time. Basicly trial & error. Wish me luck!
Old 10-28-06, 01:47 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope they are able to fix your noise without causing more issues or problems. I found with my Acura TL everytime I brought it in to fix a noise they created a problem. I hope that Lexus build quality is better and that service if needed is better.
Old 10-29-06, 11:21 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Time for an update. My car is still in service for the forth day now. They replaced the door panel and adjusted the window track and weather strip. They will replace the door latch assembly today. The service tech called Lexus tech support and they have no idea where the noise is coming from. They will change one thing at a time. Basicly trial & error. Wish me luck!
Please keep us posted on what you find is the issue. If you can narrow it down to one single part or assembly I'll take mine in and ask them to replace it.
Old 10-29-06, 07:09 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by mort
Had rattle from the same place and discovered it was the grip handle above the window. I pulled it down, pushed it back up and it was gone.
Same problem here. Experienced additional rattles with the drivers side vent, apply slight pressure to the vent and the rattle goes away.
Old 11-02-06, 12:12 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Okay boys, the rattle is gone! The dealer tried new door latch & door panel. Yes, I said tried. Not replaced. The thing that did the job was adjusting the door inner frame (I don't know what that is) about 3mm and bending something in the window assembly. The door does not open & close like the others. A little off aligment, but not enough to bother me.

Before you run to the dealer, think about it first. I regret letting the dealer butchered my new car this early on. They scratched the door panel and everything don't fit as nice as it used to. They will not replace the door panel, but offer to fix the scratch.

The tech called Lexus tech support for direction on how to perform the work. Service manager said that not very many complaints about this. I told him that no one is stupid like me to bring in their new car to be ripped apart.

If you really want ot fix it, tell the service manager to call Lexus prior to working on it. So your car won't be butchered like mine.
Old 11-15-06, 12:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I fixed this noise myself this evening. I got tired of hearing it in my ear.

I tested a couple of theories before I started tearing things apart. First I found the noise would go away by putting pressure on the door panel about 6 inches from the back end of the door. It would also go away by pulling on the panel. So it seemed pretty clearly related to the panel. If I lowered the window even slightly, the noise ceased.

I decided to remove the panel and see what might be causing this. There is a row of clips that hold the inner window liner. The clips are metal. They clip into a plastic substructure for the inner door panel. There was significant evidence of fretting on the clip - plastic dust - and the fit was unbelievably loose and sloppy on the back end. On the front end it was tight.

So I put some neoprene weather stripping in between the clips and the substructure, put the door back together and went for a drive. Silence again. Unfortunately, now I hear the same issue on the passenger's side, and when I'm listening critically, I even hear it a little from the back door.

I took some pics...this is the clip that was very loose.
Attached Thumbnails rattles by my left ear-img_0011.jpg  

Quick Reply: rattles by my left ear