IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

rattles by my left ear

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 07:44 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rattles by my left ear

Rattle by my left ear. Something in the driver door is rattling making me nuts!!!

I think that it is the window because when it is opened/cracked noise is gone. Anyone have the same problem? I checked all Service Bullentin and nothing on this problem.
Old 10-13-06, 07:48 AM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup...

I recently took a 5 hour road trip, and halfway thru I heard a rattling by my left ear as well... kinda like it was coming from where the seat belt comes out over my shoulder. However, I noticed that when I pushed my elbow into the drivers door, the rattle stopped, so maybe it does have something to do with the window?
Old 10-13-06, 08:22 AM
eddo1
Driver

I have the same but occurs occasionally. One time I pushed on the B pillar pretty hard and it went away. But it seems like its from the door though. One speculation - the same thing happened with my BMW. When you crack open the window the noise goes away - it was the rubber door seals moving against the body of the car that caused it. Lubricating it with armor all or silicon spray helped for a few months. I wonder if that is also happened with our cars.
Old 10-13-06, 09:34 AM
jamthiede
Driver School Candidate

I had the same rattle in my 06 IS350 until I put the head rest all the way down. It really sounded like it was coming from the B pillar or the door, but in my case having the head rest all the way up caused it to rattle around it it's track.
Old 10-13-06, 01:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,065 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Mine stops with slight outward pressure on the driver's side window.
Old 10-13-06, 08:20 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

lobuxracer,

what do you mean by putting pressure? What are the step you took to get rid of it?
Old 10-15-06, 12:23 AM
muzzman1
Driver

I have the exact same metallic rattle. In my case it is in the door, in fact I have taken it in for the problem. The dealer installed felt all over the inside of the door, still have the rattle.....If I push out on the rear top part of the door panel with my left elbow it goes away. If I pull (unclip) the door panel while Im driving I can still hear it! It driving me crazy as well.....If anyone can shed some light on this one it would be awsome!!!
Old 10-15-06, 09:15 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Everyone needs to call Lexus Customer Service and report this. Only way it will get fixed. I have the same issue. When I push out on my window, it goes away.
Old 10-15-06, 03:34 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Default I fixed the rattle!!!!

So I made some time today to deal with my rattle. Here's what I did:

1.) Removed the door panel. I did not take pictures, but Ill do my best to instruct you how: a.) I used a flat screwdriver to gently lift up the window switch panel, and interior door handle/lock cover to reveal the screws that hold the door panel in. No force is required in either case. b.)pulled on the panel starting with the top to unclip the panel from the door, being careful to not pull too hard or far because there are wires attached to the panel for the tweeter and door light. c.) Unclipped door light and tweeter wires.

2.) Removed the window strip from the door, felted the metal clips that hold it down.

3.) The panel has a white nylon fabric on the inside, I peeled it up to inspect what the hell was under it (nothing) but my rattle was the platic crap under it. So I got some 3M spray glue and lightly sprayed the area to put the nylon fabric back down.

4.) put it back together the way I found everything...now the rattle is gone.

To be honest I dont know if I found the actual cause of the rattle, but by merely disassembling everything, and reassembeling it, I believe that is what killed the rattle (THANK GOD!)

Hope this helps you guys.....I might add I DID have lexus look at this problem and they were unable to fix it in one day, they wanted me to leave the car overnight, and at the time this was not an option.....its been a few months since then, and this thread reminded me of how annoying the rattle is....so thanks thread starter for reminding me....now Im going to drive the car w/o music for a while to enjoy the silence...!
Old 10-16-06, 08:56 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Argh, my car just developed this noise too.

Thanks muzzman1 - I'm going to print this thread and provide it to my Lexus service manager as a possible solution.
Old 10-16-06, 01:17 PM
NjDude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CarDudeRI
Yup...

I recently took a 5 hour road trip, and halfway thru I heard a rattling by my left ear as well... kinda like it was coming from where the seat belt comes out over my shoulder. However, I noticed that when I pushed my elbow into the drivers door, the rattle stopped, so maybe it does have something to do with the window?
This is exactly what happed with my car. I had it looked and was told that Lexus applied some lubrication and added padding to the speaker on the driver side door. It fixed the rattle for about 2 weeks and then it was back. The funny thing is, that the rattles comes and goes away in my car. I also put pressure with my elbow on the door and it stops, while my elbow is applying pressure.
Old 10-16-06, 07:48 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I just recently got mines fixed for the same issues. The noise that you are experiencing is from the B pillar seat belt. Take it to dealer and they will take care of it.
Old 10-17-06, 01:41 AM
muzzman1
Driver

Default ....my rattle is BACK!

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
I just recently got mines fixed for the same issues. The noise that you are experiencing is from the B pillar seat belt. Take it to dealer and they will take care of it.

I read a while ago that there was a rattle in the B-pillar but in my case (and with a few other's here apparently) the problem is in the door itself, that is why when pressure is applied to the door/window, the rattle stops....
.....I would also like to add that my rattle HAS returned!! So if anyone is successful in isolating this rattle please let us know....I will probably have some time in the next couple days to take it apart again, and see if I can isolate it...
Old 10-17-06, 03:11 PM
mort
Lead Lap

Had rattle from the same place and discovered it was the grip handle above the window. I pulled it down, pushed it back up and it was gone.
Old 10-17-06, 03:29 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mort
Had rattle from the same place and discovered it was the grip handle above the window. I pulled it down, pushed it back up and it was gone.
Same here.

Aloha

Quick Reply: rattles by my left ear