Audio issues with ML?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 06:33 PM
Jatt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio issues with ML?

Hi guys,

I was driving on the hwy, at normal speeds, outta no where, the speakers go out. I mean even the beeps from the touch screen weren't sounding anymore, and I couldnt adjust the volume from the **** or steering wheel? It was showing the tracks it was playing through the nav system, but that was it, even when I tried using voice command, it wasn't catching anything I said...

So I pull over, stop the car, and restart, speakers start working fine, question is should I take it back to the dealership to look it over? I have 600 km on the car.

Ontop I had the thing set to display the outside temperature on the dash, but now its just showing the gear's the car goes through, which I never changed myself, the car did it on its own? Does anyone know how I can change it back.

Really appreciate the help you guys have given so far, thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-06, 06:52 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Have the dealer check out the speaker problem as soon as you can. Since it is a new car you will want ANY problems fixed immediately in case of a lemon. I don't know what the lemon laws are in Canada, but if they are similar to the states then you should take care of this problem soon.

To fix the temp display on the dash you have to push the "disp" button on the steering wheel. You can use this to cycle through various information on the dash. You should really sit down with the manual one day and go through all of the options. You will learn about all the little things that make this car so great.
Old 10-15-06, 07:25 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Lemon law? For a audio system problem that happened one time and was fixed by power cycling the unit? C'mon VikDiddy, no wonder Lexus lawyers are terrified of their lawsuit happy American customers.

I wouldn't bother with the dealer unless the problem recurs. The radio on a Canadian car is covered for four years or 80,000 km. That's plenty of time to see if the problem was a one-time glitch or a real problem.
Old 10-15-06, 09:26 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jatt
Hi guys,

I was driving on the hwy, at normal speeds, outta no where, the speakers go out. I mean even the beeps from the touch screen weren't sounding anymore, and I couldnt adjust the volume from the **** or steering wheel? It was showing the tracks it was playing through the nav system, but that was it, even when I tried using voice command, it wasn't catching anything I said...

So I pull over, stop the car, and restart, speakers start working fine, question is should I take it back to the dealership to look it over? I have 600 km on the car.

Ontop I had the thing set to display the outside temperature on the dash, but now its just showing the gear's the car goes through, which I never changed myself, the car did it on its own? Does anyone know how I can change it back.

Really appreciate the help you guys have given so far, thanks in advance.

Hey Jatt, what you have is a faulty ML amplifier. Some of the ML amps out there are faulty and will go into protect mode when they overheat a little. Just have your dealer change the amp and your problem will be fixed.

I had the same problem with mine and when Lexus replaced it the problem stopped.
Old 10-15-06, 09:47 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Alex is right. After doing a search I found a couple threads on this topic. Looks like many people have had this problem:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=sound+stopped

Seems like the faulty ML amp could be the problem.

Originally Posted by Bichon
Lemon law? For a audio system problem that happened one time and was fixed by power cycling the unit? C'mon VikDiddy, no wonder Lexus lawyers are terrified of their lawsuit happy American customers.

I wouldn't bother with the dealer unless the problem recurs. The radio on a Canadian car is covered for four years or 80,000 km. That's plenty of time to see if the problem was a one-time glitch or a real problem.
You're right, he might want to wait to see if the problem happens again before heading to the dealer. However, Lexus lawyers terrified? Lexus provides a separte detailed brochure on the lemon law in your state with EVERY new vehicle. Most lemon laws only apply to the first few months of ownership, so fixing problems early on is a good idea IMO. Also, dealerships are more accomodating with new car customers and could charge you for the service if it is done later on. Plus, its a new car. It should not have any glitches. I didn't buy a lexus expecting a car that runs okay, it should run well
Old 10-15-06, 10:17 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I just got mines back from the dealer for the same problem. First they changed the dvd unit thinking that was the problem. If anyone that knows their stereo stuff they would know that if the amp is cutting off, and everything else is working then it's the amp. They told me that they would try the dvd player first and then the amp last. So they changed the dvd and problem was still there so now the next step is to do the amp. So far everything is going great since they changed the amp. The weird thing about the radio cutting off was that it only did that to me when i reach freeway speeds around 65 to 70mph and my volume lvl was only at 27. Good luck and go tell them it's the amp thats doing it that way you don't get the run around like i did. I had to come back 3 times before they got it right i hope.
Old 10-15-06, 10:30 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME....but it seem to only happen with a certian song...so i dont put that cd in anymore..no problems yet
Old 10-16-06, 02:40 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
The weird thing about the radio cutting off was that it only did that to me when i reach freeway speeds around 65 to 70mph and my volume lvl was only at 27.
Lexy, that is because the ASL increases the volume level at higher speeds, thus increasing the power going to the amp, therefore making it heat up and going into protect mode.

Originally Posted by k_dizzle
THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME....but it seem to only happen with a certian song...so i dont put that cd in anymore..no problems yet
K_dizzle, your problem is that the song probably requires a lot from the amp (it probably has a lot of bass or something along those lines) and makes it overheat faster than other songs that don't have as much bass and triggers the "amp shutdown". I would recommend you go and get it replaced, you'll be glad you did
Old 10-16-06, 07:54 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I still don't understand what mark levinson engineers were thinking when they came up with this amp. Over heating come on please. Not when volume lvl is at 27 and listening for only 10minutes.
Old 10-16-06, 08:47 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
I still don't understand what mark levinson engineers were thinking when they came up with this amp. Over heating come on please. Not when volume lvl is at 27 and listening for only 10minutes.
I don't think it's a problem with the design of the amp because once I had it replaced, the problem stopped. I think that the problem is probably a batch of faulty amps that came out on the first generation vehicles, but once you get one of the non faulty amps, your system will be OK.
Old 10-17-06, 01:49 PM
attack7
Rookie

I had this problem too, but it was because I failed to seat the connectors fully after doing the nav hack. (Not related to the nav hack, just didn't plug everything in tightly) -- so you might just have a loose connector back there.

Matt
Old 10-17-06, 09:01 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this a problem. If I raise the base to 4 or 5 and play a rather base(y) song, it sounds like something is banging on the truck. Is this normal? Volume is only at 25-35.
Old 10-17-06, 11:32 PM
Jatt
Driver

Julez, might depend on the track your playing.
Old 10-18-06, 11:30 AM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jatt
Julez, might depend on the track your playing.
Could it be that the mp3 is not CD quality? I love my base but the MLs base is insane if you play Hip-Hop. I think I'll leave mine at 3 to avoid any kind of damage. That and I can't hear the lyrics if the base is raised any higher.
Old 10-24-06, 05:14 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Well you can add another IS350 to the faulty ML amplifier going out list. Our IS is a June build, never cranked it up ( wife's car boy was she upset ). My question is does anyone know if the ML problem is limited to a few IS builds or has this be going on for a while in the other models too? Thanks for your info.