IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 01:13 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine also stop doing it once I got an oil change...Now its starting to do it again. My delaer even had the parts but I tolds them No since the noise went away. I wasn't too happy with them taking apart my engine. Even if its something minor. I guess I have no choice but to send it too them. I was hoping the new oil would fix the problem.
Old 02-10-08, 01:25 PM
Lama
Driver

My car really does it consistantly when I park on my friends steep driveway, and leave it for a while. When I get back in, rattle.

Also, if a hot girl gets in my car, it does it also, just to blow the effect of getting in a nice ride.
Old 02-10-08, 07:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,007 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by caudlek
No its not coincidence ..... i saw the same results by topping up between oil changes. These cam positioners require oil and oil pressure to work properly ,,,, if the oil level was down a little, i got the noise on startup more often.

KC
Maybe you don't understand how this thing works. There's a metal pin that locks the cam position when you shut the engine down. If the pin fails to engage (old design), then you get the noise on start up. The pin retracts when the oil is up to pressure. All you are doing with oil changes is reducing the amount of time it takes to pump up. You're not solving the fundamental problem.
Attached Thumbnails Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)-vvti-construction.jpg  

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-10-08 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-08-08, 07:29 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought I would let you guys know. I had my second "surgery" for this issue last week. Originally, when the problem was first addressed they replaced only one side. That seemed to work fine for about 6 months. Well the noise came back. My first thought was ughhh.... they're not going to fix it a second time. I made an appointment, went through the whole explanation again (as well as the compulsory claim that it is NOT the injectors... funny how that always comes up). He said they would get back with me. I had dropped the car off late in the day so that they could keep it overnight and do a cold start. They said they'd get back with me. (They were also going to do the fuel pipe recall). Got a call at the end of the next day... they had addressed BOTH sides this time by replacing the parts. They had their best tech on tech job (our very own VVT-i, thanks Nuum) and everything is grand. Gotta say I was VERY pleased with my service advisor (CJ and Ed sort of tag teamed on this one) and Lloyd (Service Mgr) is top notch (Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett). I was surprised that it had been fixed in such short time given that I thought there was a wait on getting the replacement parts.
Also, you may find this interesting. When talking with my SA, he stated that Lexus had redesigned the part a second time because the first redesign didn't fix the problem. Also, he said that it's strictly a noise that has is of no mechanical detriment to the engine which was reassuring. My question to you guys is this. If this happens again outside of my 3-year warranty will it still be covered under the extended drivetrain warranty?
Old 03-08-08, 10:22 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

my parts are back order and it'll take around 2-3 weeks.
Old 03-08-08, 07:13 PM
Nick-L
Driver School Candidate

Same problem, after car sits for a day without starting upon initial start up a loud clanking noise then it goes away... and my car has 34,000 miles on it and it still does it every so often !
Old 03-08-08, 07:50 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Has anyone tried to talk the advisors about lubing/greasing the flywheel? Maybe the starter ring gear has a random nick/bend/scratch/chip in it and when the starter engages the ring and retracts you hear the clanking..try that one..I know it is pretty common w/ our cars with this same complaint. I'm a service advisor at MB..
Old 03-16-08, 01:37 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

took mine in to lexus of westminster because it was growing more excessively now occurring on a daily basis. advisor had mentioned other people have inquired about this and knew the exact problem with the camshaft. went to start up my car and it occurred so they are addressing the issue. so looks likes lexus of wesminster are willing to work on it without hesitation.
Old 03-16-08, 05:39 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I wonder if all of this is worthwhile, I've had the noise a couple times, but I hate to tear apart my engine?
Old 03-16-08, 09:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
Has anyone tried to talk the advisors about lubing/greasing the flywheel? Maybe the starter ring gear has a random nick/bend/scratch/chip in it and when the starter engages the ring and retracts you hear the clanking..try that one..I know it is pretty common w/ our cars with this same complaint. I'm a service advisor at MB..
No, that's not a problem on Lexus designs and not the root cause of this noise. It is well known, and the noise exists after the starter bendix has retracted the drive gear.
Old 04-02-08, 11:58 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well...you guys can welcome me to the "startup noise" club...

it started last week and now it is happening about once every 5-10 starts....

anyone got some pointers on how to approach the dealer with this problem and not have them give me the run-around?

Probably going to take it to Park Place Grapevine
Old 04-03-08, 05:27 PM
johnis350
Driver

GOt mine fixed. Dearler had to removed engine from vehicle and disassembled engine. Replaced crankshaft, oil pump,crank shaft bearing ect....
Attached Thumbnails Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)-lastscan.jpg  

Last edited by johnis350; 04-03-08 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added image
Old 04-03-08, 06:04 PM
johnis350
Driver

car was just towed in the dealer. engine rattle at all rpm and can put in gear. might be tran problem when engine was removed from vehicle.
Old 04-24-08, 07:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I really hate to bring this up, but post TSIB EG019-07 Revised, I have still heard the startup knocking sound. I haven't talked to Lexus about it yet, but I was quite dismayed to hear the same noise on Tuesday after a 45 minute drive and restarting the car.

Anyone else have this happen AFTER the TSIB service was completed?
Old 04-24-08, 07:12 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Guys I had the same problem when I would start up my car. I told lexus & they ordered some parts & its gone now. The description of the problem straight from my invoice is improper free play in cam shaft pully, replaced bank 1 & 2 cam shaft pulls.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)