IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 02:55 PM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this done a couple days ago as well as the brake tsb.

My car felt different in terms of hp. I think it feels slower.. w/e my ecu is gonna get reset again when i get my megan mid pipe and f-sport intake installed soon!! WOOT!
Old 07-30-08, 04:10 PM
MiamiIS350
Driver

I took my car to the dealer and they told me it didnt fall under the TSIB. I am taking it dropping off this week, and they are going to try to diagnose the problem. I thought it was going to be a quick fix but guess not.
Old 07-31-08, 10:23 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dominant1
i get the noise every now and then, i think its oil starvation , i would never have the dealer tear down my motor to fix this.. i seem to remember never having this noise until i let my dealer put regular oil in at my 10k service. up until then i used synthetic oil only. the next oil change I'm going back to synthetics, and mixing in a little Lucas oil. i really think the problem will go away..
Did you NEVER notice it with the synthetic?
I notice it with regular oil EVERY time I get within 1k of my oil change. It's like the engine can tell the oil is getting dirty?
Old 07-31-08, 06:35 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

It's been almost 2 weeks since the TSB fix and no more crank noises, I am very glad I had this done at the dealer. I trusted my dealer because they knew about this crank noise and have fixed many other IS250 and 350's before mine so I was not worried. I also swear my car has more pep than before.

I don't think this has anything to do with oil or oil types. I remember hearing this before I had my very first oil change and my car was a virgin. My service advisor explained to me what was causing the problem with the cam shaft and how they will fix it. My car was outside the VIN# on the TBS I brought in from Clublexus but my advisor said it doesn't matter cause they heard the noise cause I taped it on my digi cam and brought it in for him to listen to and he knew right away what it was. I'm just glad the noise is gone.
Old 07-31-08, 10:59 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
It's been almost 2 weeks since the TSB fix and no more crank noises, I am very glad I had this done at the dealer. I trusted my dealer because they knew about this crank noise and have fixed many other IS250 and 350's before mine so I was not worried. I also swear my car has more pep than before.

I don't think this has anything to do with oil or oil types. I remember hearing this before I had my very first oil change and my car was a virgin. My service advisor explained to me what was causing the problem with the cam shaft and how they will fix it. My car was outside the VIN# on the TBS I brought in from Clublexus but my advisor said it doesn't matter cause they heard the noise cause I taped it on my digi cam and brought it in for him to listen to and he knew right away what it was. I'm just glad the noise is gone.
Hmmm maybe I'll try recording it too. I should set up a camera and mic in my garage to capture all engine starts, it just started occurring for me a few weeks ago but only infrequently. I'm also just outside the TSB vin# range on my '07.
Old 08-03-08, 09:34 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dominant1
never got the sound till i stopped using synthetic, that's why I'm going back to synthetic oil the next change...

I have used nothing but Mobil 1 5-30 since 7000 miles & I hear the noise once every 10 starts
Old 08-04-08, 12:35 PM
archaic
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have issues with getting the dealer to do this fix even though the VIN falls within the range? The dealer I took my car won't do the TSIB fix because they were unable to replicate the noise.
Old 08-04-08, 12:41 PM
MiamiIS350
Driver

Even if you/they can't replicate the noise, they still have to fix it, if your cars under warranty. Let them know that you need to have it checked, no excuses, and demand a loaner.
Old 08-04-08, 07:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiIS350
Even if you/they can't replicate the noise, they still have to fix it, if your cars under warranty. Let them know that you need to have it checked, no excuses, and demand a loaner.
No they don't. If they can't replicate the problem, they don't have anything to fix.

If the car doesn't make the noise, you would be foolish to have the TSIB done. If it does make the noise and they won't fix it, you need to complain to Lexus Corporate.

I've had it done twice now. Both times they were able to replicate the problem.
Old 08-05-08, 10:54 AM
archaic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No they don't. If they can't replicate the problem, they don't have anything to fix.

If the car doesn't make the noise, you would be foolish to have the TSIB done. If it does make the noise and they won't fix it, you need to complain to Lexus Corporate.

My car only makes the noise intermittently. I just think its unreasonable that my car has to make the noise during the short time that it's at the dealer in order for it to be repaired.
Old 08-05-08, 09:14 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

I had my car fixed and I am concerned, that it happened in the first place. I would have thought that Lexus would have thoroughly tested their engines before putting it out there. This is not Lexus like. I have previously owned BMW's but gave them up inspite of the great handling because of reliability issues. I know BMW had blown engines on their previous 300hp in line six, maybe they are trying too hard to squeeze more hp out of these engines.
Old 08-06-08, 12:08 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

if your car has been fixed at little or no cost to you, why are you still concerned? unfortunately the best manufacturers experience after production issues, this is inevitable sometimes. The key is that they stand behind their vehicles...even BMW does this...its 1 thing to say " this is a Lexus and this shouldn't happen", but the more realistic quote in today's world is, " Lexus fixed the problem and stands behind their vehicles if the unexpected happens"...as time passes on you will see that your Lexus with say 100k miles on it, will still run the same as if it had 5k miles on it...this is 1 of the many reasons why i bought mine...
Any major manufacturer if they want to stay in business will honor their warranty specially if it is still under warranty. So why is a Lexus a lot more expensive? If not to expect that their product is better. Unexpected things are for amateurs, for those that fail to test their products and cut corners to put a cheap product out there.
There are many other owners who do not like the fact that things have to be taken apart because things are not put back together as well. That probably says more about the mechanic but is that not the reason why if your car has been in an accident is worth less? Some owners are already on their second recall. Others are looking to dump their car. If a car has problems at 5k it is more likely that it will get worse by 100k. If I can get the same for less, I would be an idiot to pay more.
Old 08-06-08, 02:34 PM
ucdmoo
Rookie

I need to have this done now..

Has anyone tried the TSIB at the Fremont, CA dealership?
Old 08-06-08, 09:33 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
How long did the first fix last you before you had to go in again lance?
Old 08-07-08, 09:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,468 Posts

About 4 months. It may even do it again, but I have to wait for cooler weather. It seems mine is most likely to do it when OAT is ~50F. I haven't seen that in Hotlanta for awhile.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)