IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 04:28 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n8236
Then why haven't you gotten it fixed? Or does the dealership claim it to be within' being normal."
If you read my post 378 I did get the startup rattle fixed which this thread is about. The ticking sound at is from the DI running at high pressures. If I misunderstood by the engine quieting down with no startup rattle, then yes, it never happened again after the fix. The ticking quieting down at idle, then no.
Old 09-24-08, 06:21 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last time i got an oil change was an 5k and now im about 8300+ and i havent gotten an oil change yet. i heard that noise just today for the first time but it wasnt at the start of my day...
Old 09-28-08, 09:06 AM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

For New Yorkers information:

Few months ago, Lexus of Queens denied my TSB for the rattle. They strongly believed my car was low on oil so then I was told they added TWO quarts of oil to overfill my damn engine without my permission. The rattle did go away, for exactly 13 days, then came back even worst. I told them about the TSB, they said my car's VIN# does NOT fall within the range of the affected vehicles of the TSB. I call BS, my VIN# is within the range.

Few weeks ago, I then went to Lexus of Rockville Centre. Told them about the rattle during COLD start. I dropped my car off 7 in the AM, they called at noon telling me they tried starting up my car SEVENTEEN TIMES and heard no unusual noise. I only had one word to say to the service advisor... "stupid". I'm just kidding I didn't say that. So they had it over night then told me they heard the noise. They did the TSB repair in a one-week period of time. Since then, no noise.

Advise:
Don't change the oil before going to the dealership.
1) New and full pan of oil will have less chance of duplicating the rattle noise.
2) The TSB includes a free oil change! (no filter change)

Parking on a hill will have a higher chance of duplicating the rattle noise.

Last edited by GordoNx3o9; 09-28-08 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-06-08, 05:39 PM
ShreveIS
Driver School Candidate

After having the TSB performed on the IS for the engine crank noise, is there anyone on here that's had to bring in their car because the noise came back? Mine has been in the shop 3 times now for the same problem....the last being 3 weeks ago. Well, now it's doing it again. I have an appointment in a couple days to bring it it...yet again (this being the 4th time now). Each time I've brought it in, it seems to be diagnosed corrected with the Cam Shaft Gear Assembly being replaced each time. Just wondering if anyone else has had repeated problems with this TSB. Thanks
Old 10-06-08, 06:15 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShreveIS
After having the TSB performed on the IS for the engine crank noise, is there anyone on here that's had to bring in their car because the noise came back? Mine has been in the shop 3 times now for the same problem....the last being 3 weeks ago. Well, now it's doing it again. I have an appointment in a couple days to bring it it...yet again (this being the 4th time now). Each time I've brought it in, it seems to be diagnosed corrected with the Cam Shaft Gear Assembly being replaced each time. Just wondering if anyone else has had repeated problems with this TSB. Thanks
Are you close to any other dealerships? If you are, maybe you could give another dealer a try. It has been about 4 or so months and still no rattling issue.
Old 10-06-08, 06:59 PM
ShreveIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AzNLeX350
Are you close to any other dealerships? If you are, maybe you could give another dealer a try. It has been about 4 or so months and still no rattling issue.
Actually, two different dealerships have worked on it. It's very frustrating that my car is in the shop so often (will be 4 times in 6 months) for the same issue. What about the lemon law? In Louisiana the dealership is given 4 failed attempts to correct a problem before it can be reported. Is this issue substantial enough to warrant taking action to have the car classified as a "lemon"?
Old 10-06-08, 07:01 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was fixed flawlessly
Old 10-08-08, 03:18 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Visit #2 to Lexus of Serramonte and another failed attempt. This time, while they kept my car for two days they came back w/ nothing (again). I made progress, but not much. At least they acknowledged there is a a TSIB, but not for my year and vin. The guy (Alfred) said come back when it's consistent, ya....right. I'm going back soon again. Once I got into my car, it made the noise again!!! I'm getting extremely frustrated and annoyed.

Is there a TSIB for the '08s and vin list?! If I had to guess, they heard it but simply lied about it because it's such an expensive and long project. But I will be back and bug them some more.

Please help
Old 10-08-08, 03:44 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HighImStan
NEVER go to Serramonte. I only went there once and will never go back again. You rather go to Putnum or better yet Magnussens
Dude, I hope you're right about Putnam. I just scheduled an appointment there for later this month and hope to get EG019-07 (engine rattle/knock) and SU001-08 (vehicle pull to one side) fixed. I hope they're nice. This time I'm going to be firm.
Old 10-25-08, 10:50 PM
Zender
Rookie

I think I heard this for the first time yesterday on my car.

I have US one in Canada so it's a little more trouble getting warrenty work done. Worst case scenario I can drive to the closest US deal (4 hour drive).
Old 10-28-08, 12:11 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Putnam has not found any irregularities. Ugh. This will never get solved. I already contacted Lexus HQ about this service not being done, hopefully that'll iron everything out. Isn't the bulletin for the '08s out yet -_-
Old 10-28-08, 01:10 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow I can't believe I missed this thread. My 06 is350 has been rattling at startup since a year ago and I thought it was my JoeZ intake tube rattling against the throttle body assembly on startup. I adjusted it to make sure there's not metal on metal contact and it seemed to go away... then again it could be due to the summer weather making it warmer and masking the problem. Lately I've been hearing it again a little bit so I thought I had to check my joez tube again but now that I read this thread it could be the tsib problem. I was thinking about canceling my extended warranty but with this..hmm I think it might be good to keep it.
Old 10-28-08, 06:05 PM
Srd555
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello all,

I recently had the rattle on start up. I took it to Lexus of West Kendall here in Miami several times, and they were unable to re-create the sound. The service adviser told me to try to record the sound. I did one better I made a movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3xm-LhWqs
after they saw it they fixed the problem with no questions asked. Its been fine for the last 5000K miles.

Good luck to all.
Old 10-28-08, 07:07 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Lightbulb Bring the Video as proof?

For those that have problem w/ the dealer not fixing your "rattle", why not ask 'SDR555' for his video file and bring it to the dealer w/ you? If it work for SDR555, try it. Better than going to the dealer w/ empty hand.

Old 10-29-08, 07:27 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Originally Posted by speed_Demo
For those that have problem w/ the dealer not fixing your "rattle", why not ask 'SDR555' for his video file and bring it to the dealer w/ you? If it work for SDR555, try it. Better than going to the dealer w/ empty hand.

You have to understand the dealerships won't fix swat unless they can duplicate the problem suggested. I've brought my car to fix this three times in two different dealerships with no success of them duplicating it. They know what the issue is.

To have some common sense, why would anyone even bring their Lexus in to have their engine torn apart to have this fixed it this problem didn't exist. I just don't understand why they won't take my word for it. It's not like the dealerships don't get paid to fix things. It's such a waste of time having to drop the car off, get a loaner car, return days later to know nothing is fixed. Seriously, some of us have jobs and bills to pay.

For me:

Serramonte: Gone in twice - no go
Putnam: Gone in once - no go

I'm working with Lexus Corporate right now and hopefully I'll get something out of this.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)