IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 03:34 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i had mine fixed
Lexus australia knows about this
it's the cam gear backlash i think that what they called it
replaced the cam gears on mine and no noise.
Old 02-23-10, 05:45 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow i have this same exact noise from this user from youtube. i believe its the rattle sound every one is talking about. Should i have the dealer look into it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3xm-LhWqs
Old 02-23-10, 08:56 PM
malopez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my this fixed about a year ago on my 06 IS 250, and it has just come back. And of course, like the first time, the dealer will not address in until they can duplicate it which they cant seem to do when I leave it with them. This is really ridiculous, especially when I am in the car with MBZ and BMW owners, its embarrassing.
Old 03-04-10, 11:07 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by allst4r
wow i have this same exact noise from this user from youtube. i believe its the rattle sound every one is talking about. Should i have the dealer look into it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3xm-LhWqs
wow this really sucks? So it has been 20 some days and i have heard the knocking sound sometimes twice in the same day ... seems like its getting worst and iam hearing it more often? So there is no fix for this issue? is this noise damaging my car'?
Old 03-05-10, 09:53 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took my car into Newport Lexus, Newport Beach, CA, told them what I heard, left the car and they called me this afternoon and told me they replaced the affected parts per a TSB. End of story. They didn't even hear the noise to which I spoke of. They already knew of the problem. Great service............
Old 03-22-10, 12:25 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Well after almost excatly 2 years, the noise has come back.... I've heard it 3 times within the last 2 weeks. Time for a trip back to the dealer.... grrrr

but in all honesty, this has been my only problem with the car so in general it's been reliable.

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
yeah, they couldn't replicate the problem on mine, but I made them aware of the TSB and they fixed it no problem.
Old 03-23-10, 10:07 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Dropped it off this morning. The guy says that they'll keep it over night to see if the issue occurs in the morning. The problem is that this is intermittent. I told him he can keep it until it's fixed, and I don't plan on coming back until they fix it. We'll see how this pans out.
Old 03-23-10, 10:32 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Also, I had mine done back in May of 2008. I read posts here that since then, there's been updated parts. The service rep said he knew of the TSB for the cam gear, but was unaware of any updates to the parts involved. Anyone know the parts that were changed?
Old 03-25-10, 07:56 PM
sumfknguy
Driver School Candidate

i have 94K miles on my 06 IS250, would this be covered under warranty (drive train warranty?)? It used to only happen every so often, now it happens 1 out of 3 starts..
Old 03-26-10, 07:25 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

^^^i don't think it will be covered...you can try though at your local lexus dealer..but they will probably deny it...
Old 04-01-10, 06:44 AM
JUSROLLIN
Rookie

I've only had my IS350 a couple weeks, but I had this noise for the first time this morning on cold-start. It just so happens that I just changed the oil and filter yesterday afternoon, Mobil 1 full-synthetic 5W-30. I'll have to look at the reciepts that came with the car to see what was in it before...

Brandon
Old 04-01-10, 06:53 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by JUSROLLIN
I've only had my IS350 a couple weeks, but I had this noise for the first time this morning on cold-start. It just so happens that I just changed the oil and filter yesterday afternoon, Mobil 1 full-synthetic 5W-30. I'll have to look at the reciepts that came with the car to see what was in it before...

Brandon
I've got just about the same story. I heard this for the first time this week. Did it twice in one day but havent heard it since. I'm running Mobil 1 Full Syn 5w30 as well. Last oil change was back in November.

I've browsed thru most of the thread. I'm not covered under Lexus's warranty (except power train), has anyone had this issue fixed off warranty? I had planned on keeping this car atleast 5 years but am starting to worry now...
Old 04-01-10, 07:23 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine was fixed under warranty....they replaced the cam gear and I havent heard the noise since
Old 04-01-10, 03:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by AdioKIP
I've got just about the same story. I heard this for the first time this week. Did it twice in one day but havent heard it since. I'm running Mobil 1 Full Syn 5w30 as well. Last oil change was back in November.

I've browsed thru most of the thread. I'm not covered under Lexus's warranty (except power train), has anyone had this issue fixed off warranty? I had planned on keeping this car atleast 5 years but am starting to worry now...
Your powertrain warranty covers this.
Old 04-01-10, 03:53 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

As a follow up, Lexus Thousand Oaks was really pleasant to deal with. Despite not being able to replicate the noise, they understood that there was an updated part since my first TSB, so they went ahead and swapped in the latest stuff.

At the very least I got a free oil change.... I'm no re-thinking my long term plan to hold onto this car because I'm not confident that this fix will be final.

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
Also, I had mine done back in May of 2008. I read posts here that since then, there's been updated parts. The service rep said he knew of the TSB for the cam gear, but was unaware of any updates to the parts involved. Anyone know the parts that were changed?

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)