IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10 | 08:32 AM
snoopy2624
Driver School Candidate

GTIDAN I have the same problem on my IS. And bought my car from Newport Lexus. Did they fix the problem with no questions asked? Or did they give you a hard time?
Old 04-06-10 | 06:50 PM
Cristian0
Driver School Candidate

Question is250 making weird noise when started

I have a IS250 AWD and I have noticed a strange noise when I start it. It doesnt do it all the time, Its weird I have noticed it for for a little while but it just doesnt seem normal. I took it to the dealorship but it didnt make the noise when I took it in. Its kinda like a sputtering noise or something. It does it when its some what cold outside. It does it for a sec. and then goes away. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 04-06-10 | 08:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cristian0
I have a IS250 AWD and I have noticed a strange noise when I start it. It doesnt do it all the time, Its weird I have noticed it for for a little while but it just doesnt seem normal. I took it to the dealorship but it didnt make the noise when I took it in. Its kinda like a sputtering noise or something. It does it when its some what cold outside. It does it for a sec. and then goes away. Does anyone know anything about this?
cam gear rattle... there's a TSIB for it, pretty large repair but free under warranty
Old 04-07-10 | 06:02 AM
Cristian0
Driver School Candidate

yeah I have read that but the dealorship seems to be trying to go around that. I have read it could be cam gear rattle also valve springs. I posted this thread to make sure that I am right because I am going back to the dealorship tomorrow and I am going to tell them I dont want the car back until they hear it and get it fixed. I am tired of being worked around this. I am so pissed off because you can tell the guy that was helping me was being lazy and didnt want to deal with it!
Old 04-07-10 | 06:03 AM
Cristian0
Driver School Candidate

Kurtz thanks alot for responding to this.
Old 04-07-10 | 06:05 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

start recording your car starts on your cellphone. Thats what I had to do to get mine replaced under warranty cause it would never make the noise at the dealer.

Once I emailed my service rep the sound file, they scheduled me for the warranty repair.
Old 04-07-10 | 11:01 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

I thought the cam gears noise was only for 06-07 IS350 engines?

http://www.lexustsb.com/questions/20...t+Cold+Startup

I was having trouble getting the dealer to fix it I tried a couple times when I brought the car in for service they claimed they couldn't reproduce it.

I took the car to a different dealer for service the next time and they fixed without hassling me.
Old 04-07-10 | 12:49 PM
drlovegun
Driver School Candidate

SO what happens if you're out of warranty? SOL? Can this screw the motor up after time?
Old 04-07-10 | 02:19 PM
ThaSneak
Driver

mine does this as well, but it is much louder because of my exhaust/midpipe =[
Old 04-08-10 | 07:42 AM
Cristian0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drlovegun
SO what happens if you're out of warranty? SOL? Can this screw the motor up after time?
Its not good for your motor it can damage it over time. But the warranty you should still be good cause for that its 6years/70,000miles. I took my car in yesterday and talked to the head tech and he heard it and now they taking care of it. You should take it in if you hearing that when starting the car. It will only do it when the car is turned off for awhile.
Old 04-08-10 | 07:48 AM
Cristian0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
start recording your car starts on your cellphone. Thats what I had to do to get mine replaced under warranty cause it would never make the noise at the dealer.

Once I emailed my service rep the sound file, they scheduled me for the warranty repair.
Thanks for that idea, i went ahead and did what you said and it worked they taking care of it.
Old 04-08-10 | 08:38 AM
drlovegun
Driver School Candidate

I'm at 90K so I'll have to see how much they'll charge to do it
Old 04-08-10 | 08:39 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I'm also out of warranty, and lately I've been getting that annoying noise more and more, even when it's warm out. Absurd.
Old 04-08-10 | 02:42 PM
Stokeless
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cristian0
Its not good for your motor it can damage it over time. But the warranty you should still be good cause for that its 6years/70,000miles. I took my car in yesterday and talked to the head tech and he heard it and now they taking care of it. You should take it in if you hearing that when starting the car. It will only do it when the car is turned off for awhile.
I get this too. I bought my car used but it is under 70k, do you think they will fix it. I bought if from a local non-lexus dealership.

Last edited by Stokeless; 04-08-10 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-08-10 | 04:37 PM
Cristian0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stokeless
I get this too. I bought my car used but it is under 70k, do you think they will fix it. I bought if from a local non-lexus dealership.
It doesnt matter its covered take it to yout local lexus dealership. Dont say anything about where u brought it from it does not make a difference.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)