IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 06:39 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELL Y
I'm also out of warranty, and lately I've been getting that annoying noise more and more, even when it's warm out. Absurd.
same here, happened today and it was pretty warm out. I had driven the car about 2hours before and had to move it in the driveway when I heard the sound. There were a few other times it had happened, its pretty random and that sound lasts for only a second.
Old 04-12-10, 10:26 AM
Joyride250
Rookie

how much would this repair cost? out of warranty too.
Old 04-14-10, 11:38 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Your powertrain warranty covers this.
Thanks for the info. I talked to the dealer last week and told them about the issue and let them know I was aware of the TSB. They told me they would have to reproduce the issue before they could do anything. I doubted they would be able to since it was only happening 1 out of every 30 or so starts. I dropped my car off Monday thinking I would atleast have the dealer document the issue if they cant reproduce it since I'm approaching 70k. Tuesday the dealer called and said they hadnt heard anything but wanted to keep it one more day. Wednesday afternoon they called, said they heard the noise and they were going to perform the work per the TSB. They had all but one of the cam parts in stock. Dealer says the remaining part should be in tomorrow and I'll get my car back tomorrow evening or Friday.

I must say so far Lexus of Chattanooga has been great to deal with. I didnt buy my car thru Lexus and its not CPO but they have been great working with me with the minor issues I've had since getting the car.

Last edited by AdioKIP; 04-14-10 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-14-10, 12:16 PM
JUSROLLIN
Rookie

Originally Posted by JUSROLLIN
I've only had my IS350 a couple weeks, but I had this noise for the first time this morning on cold-start. It just so happens that I just changed the oil and filter yesterday afternoon, Mobil 1 full-synthetic 5W-30. I'll have to look at the reciepts that came with the car to see what was in it before...

Brandon
My IS made the noise on the first cold start after the oil change, and then again when I left work that afternoon (2nd cold start since oil change). It has not done it again since then. This makes me think that it is an issue with the oil system, at least in my case...

Brandon
Old 04-14-10, 01:30 PM
AdioKIP
Driver

My IS made the noise on the first cold start after the oil change, and then again when I left work that afternoon (2nd cold start since oil change). It has not done it again since then. This makes me think that it is an issue with the oil system, at least in my case...

Brandon

I think the oil incidences for both of us are just a coincidence. Its a known issue with the Camshaft, I'd definitely take it to the dealer if you are still under warranty. As long as you have less then 70k miles then its covered. I was only getting the noise less then once a week or so (sometimes going a month or more with no noise)and sometimes it was barely audible but with 66k miles on my car I took it in and made sure I got it done while still under warranty since I've heard its expensive work if you're not.

One question to everyone. If the service envolves an oil change, and I'm running Mobil 1 Synthetic, is the dealer gonna know i have synthetic and replace it with Synthetic or are they just gonna throw regular oil in? I've heard its not good to switch back when you switch to synthetic, if this is true should I have an oil change done when I pick up the car and put the Mobil 1 back in it?
Old 04-14-10, 04:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AdioKIP
I think the oil incidences for both of us are just a coincidence. Its a known issue with the Camshaft, I'd definitely take it to the dealer if you are still under warranty. As long as you have less then 70k miles then its covered. I was only getting the noise less then once a week or so (sometimes going a month or more with no noise)and sometimes it was barely audible but with 66k miles on my car I took it in and made sure I got it done while still under warranty since I've heard its expensive work if you're not.

One question to everyone. If the service envolves an oil change, and I'm running Mobil 1 Synthetic, is the dealer gonna know i have synthetic and replace it with Synthetic or are they just gonna throw regular oil in? I've heard its not good to switch back when you switch to synthetic, if this is true should I have an oil change done when I pick up the car and put the Mobil 1 back in it?

They will put in whatever they use at the dealership. Which is probably not synthetic.

Synthetic and regular are entirely compatible however, there's no issue going from one to the other, or even mixing them in the same fill (that's what synthetic blends are after all), other than you lose most of the extra benefits of synthetic for that fill.
Old 04-14-10, 04:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,007 Likes on 2,428 Posts

The dealership did not change my oil either of the two times they performed this L-SB on my IS350. I am certain because Blackstone results would have indicated an unscheduled change and the flash point would have been lower.
Old 04-14-10, 05:53 PM
JUSROLLIN
Rookie

Originally Posted by AdioKIP

How many years is the warranty? I only have 37k miles, but it's an 06...

Brandon
Old 04-14-10, 07:06 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

How many years is the warranty? I only have 37k miles, but it's an 06...

Brandon
Powertrain warranty is 6 yr/70k miles so even the first 06s won't be past that on time until mid-late 2011
Old 04-14-10, 07:22 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn i keep putting this off?? is this tsib worth doing.. the noise has gone from 1 a year two once every two weeks. is the noise going to dmg my car in any way?
Old 04-14-10, 11:39 PM
Ki11switch
Rookie

Like many others with this problem i too have had this issues esp during the winter, but this past winter i decided to switch to Royal Purple from Mobile one and i had ZERO cold start knocks. Wondering if anyone else had this success with RP?
Old 04-15-10, 06:21 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I'm almost at 78k on the ODO, I get this noise intermittently and it started happening only in the past few months (after warranty period ended). I'm wondering what possible damage it could be causing the engine if I don't fix it? Assuming it gets worse over time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-10, 08:04 AM
hawk85007
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue on mine. bought the car out of warranty @ 73k miles. after 4months started doing the starup rattle noise. tool it in the the lexus dealer it bought it from and fortunately got it fixed free. they told me the repair cost approximately 1500. i was told that it doesnt damage the motor long term yet i still remain skeptical. if you bought it from a lexus dealer out of warrantly and it still hasnt been 90 days since the purchase, they should cover at least 50% of the repair. its still sucks but is better than paying the full repair cost
Old 04-17-10, 10:05 AM
caudlek
Driver

I have a 2006 IS350, and have had the Cam Positioner TSB done (2 years ago) .... noise is occurring again now every few weeks. I don't believe there is any danger to the engine however it can be freaking embarrassing at its loudest....LOL .... a real treat when transporting friends who own BMW's or Audi's etc.

I don't believe Lexus actually has a fix .... i suspect that if all tolerances on the parts line up just right you have no problem .... it is a major fix and takes about 6 hours labor if i recall correctly.

I have reported it to the dealer again, and i expect them to deal with it at some point. They will likely fix it, even if out of warranty .... we're talking a design defect here, not a normal wear issue. Keep all receipts and make sure the sound you report is noted on your service receipts! I even made a sound byte .... i think that forced their hand the first time because the service manager at the time was a **** .... wouldn't acknowledge this issue, the brake pad issue, or the rear view mirror issue. New manager now... much better.

Kurt
Old 04-21-10, 12:54 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was first serviced about 1.5yrs ago, but noise has come back again

Anybody know the new part number that was updated in this TSB?

A pic of your invoice would be really helpful for those who brought theirs in within last couple of months.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)