IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 12:16 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car in for the cold start up noise a few days ago. Just got it back.
Turns out there was also an issue with the water pump. I thought that noise was related to the cold start up noise....anyway, they list the cause as, "excessive clearance in camshaft".The invoice listed "Gear Assy, camshaft" and three or four gaskets...
If your having anything close to this noise, and the car is still under warranty, just get it fixed. I'm guessing it was a combination of the bad water pump and the start up noise, but my car seems to run much better. they also fixed the fuel line issue and the throttle recall. Washed the car and filled my tank with fuel....no questions asked. I had loaner and my car back in 2 days.
As I was leaving I passed the parts dept. and decided to break down and order my F-sprot sway from that dealer since they where so helpful.

....a few more details. I've owned the car since new, it is a 250AWD and has 35k miles.

Last edited by Big Willy; 04-29-10 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-29-10, 07:36 PM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Dropped off the wifes car yesterday morning. Haven't heard anything from the dealer and we aren't bugging them. We have a HS250 H for a loaner
Old 04-30-10, 06:16 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any tips to give the dealer to induce the crank startup noise? Last time I gave it to them they couldn't reproduce the noise.
Old 04-30-10, 06:40 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VikH
Anyone have any tips to give the dealer to induce the crank startup noise? Last time I gave it to them they couldn't reproduce the noise.
Mine started happening more often when I let it sit all weekend. So maybe just tell them park the car for a week. I also noticed it more when the air temp was cooler.
Old 04-30-10, 07:55 PM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Two + days later the dealership says they can't make the noise happen. The SA says we know of the TSB, but won't fix it until it makes the noise. I told them I will spend Monday driving the car in and out of the dealership until it makes the noise
Old 05-03-10, 08:26 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChickenIS
Two + days later the dealership says they can't make the noise happen. The SA says we know of the TSB, but won't fix it until it makes the noise. I told them I will spend Monday driving the car in and out of the dealership until it makes the noise
Take your car to the dealer, get the loaner, and tell them keep your car until it makes the noise. If they let it sit and it is the same problem, after a week of not starting it, it will make the sound again.
Old 05-07-10, 01:50 AM
Magicks
Rookie

I have the same problem. Engine makes a crackling sound during 1st start of the day EVERYDAY.

*edit* Its more of a rattling sound actually
Old 05-07-10, 06:47 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Magicks
I have the same problem. Engine makes a crackling sound during 1st start of the day EVERYDAY.

*edit* Its more of a rattling sound actually
If your car has under 70k it should be covered. I would say take it to the dealer and have them fix it.
Old 05-07-10, 06:51 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

How many miles on the cars that have been fixed? Does anyone know how many miles the new parts are breaking down at? My concern is that the parts last for 40k or 50k miles, so I will need to pay out of pocket the next time the thing breaks.
Old 05-10-10, 03:27 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

^^^ I have 41K on mine and my dealer is also saying they can't get it to make the noise..... My car is out of warranty but if it is the cam shaft gears its still covered by the drive train warrantee until i think 75K..
Old 05-10-10, 10:01 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr05
^^^ I have 41K on mine and my dealer is also saying they can't get it to make the noise..... My car is out of warranty but if it is the cam shaft gears its still covered by the drive train warrantee until i think 75K..
Don't give up bud. The tech that worked on one of my customer's IS250 was able to replicate the condition and was able to replace the camshaft gear assembly. He has about 49600 something miles and gave me a laundry list of warranty concerns. BTW the powertrain warranty is 6 years/70k miles.
Old 05-10-10, 11:51 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

My dealer kept my car for a week and gave me a 2010 RX350 as a loaner. They had to order the camshaft and parts.

Car is back, haven't heard any grinding noise. So far so good.
Old 05-11-10, 08:34 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Well got a call back from the dealer and they can't get it do make the noise and it sat for 3 day's. So i will be picking it up today and will have to pay $125.00 just for them to look at it. So any other advise otherwise i will have to keep taking it in and if they dont hear ill just have to pay them $125.00 the service rep did say if it still happens to call Lexus Corp direct.. Can anyone help me out ???
Old 05-11-10, 08:39 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Well got a call back from the dealer and they can't get it do make the noise and it sat for 3 day's. So i will be picking it up today and will have to pay $125.00 just for them to look at it. So any other advise otherwise i will have to keep taking it in and if they dont hear ill just have to pay them $125.00 the service rep did say if it still happens to call Lexus Corp direct.. Can anyone help me out ???
I would be very straightforward with them and let them understand that it makes the noise and you are not picking the car up until it is fixed.
If it didn't happen in three days then tell them let it sit for a week. If your car does make the noise, it will happen again.
Old 05-11-10, 09:16 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Are you serious??? You need to print the TSB and take it with you. There is no way they should be billing you $125. I didnt buy my car thru lexus and its not CPO yet they treated me better then that. They kept my car for 3 days. Each day they called, said it hadnt made the noise and asked would I like to pick it up or leave it with them. Finally it made the noise on the 3rd day. Even if I had picked it up without it making the noise they werent going to bill me. Since I knew what the issue was (and so did they they just had to hear it themselves) its not like they had to do diagnostic work. They literally started the car once an hour or every few hours until it finally made the noise. You need to let them know you are aware of the TSB and that you dont feel you should be billed for a known issue even if they couldnt duplicate it at the time. Not to mention the simple fact of if they are billing you $125 for a diagnostic then they should odviously be able to tell you whats wrong. If they cant tell you whats wrong then WTF did they diagnose and what are they billing you for?

Last edited by AdioKIP; 05-11-10 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)