IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 09:20 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind if it is the lifters bleeding down after a period of time, each time they start the car it's loading the lifters with oil and it will take additional time to bleed down and make the noise. They should keep the car still for one week, then try it.
Old 05-11-10, 02:23 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This same issue started for me a few months ago. I spent several weeks recording my car starting up using my phone trying to isolate the noise. Of course the car would only make the noise when I wasn't recording.

I was finally able to get a recording of the startup (MP3 audio found here: IS250StartupNoise1.mp3 )

However, when I took the car to my dealer last week, the Service Advisor REFUSED to even listen to the audio clip and proceeded to tell me that the car only makes the noise when the engine is cold (which in my case is absolutely NOT true). My car makes the noise usually after sitting for a bit. Sometimes it's 30 minutes, sometimes its a few hours. The car RARELY does this when I start it first thing in the morning. Sorry, but my engine doesn't "cool down" after being off for 30 minutes, parked outside in 90 degree heat! I will be taking it to either a different dealer, or asking for a different service advisor when I take the car in next week.

Last edited by Buds; 05-11-10 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-11-10, 02:41 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

yep i am not very happy at all and i actually did print out the TSB and left it for them on my passenger seat but it only states 350 models not IS250's.. Such BS i personally think the noise also happens durning mid day also this happened to me once before regarding a different issue (I think the rear view mirror shaking) i am actually going to call my advisor again and just state if they can keep trying....

Originally Posted by AdioKIP
Are you serious??? You need to print the TSB and take it with you. There is no way they should be billing you $125. I didnt buy my car thru lexus and its not CPO yet they treated me better then that. They kept my car for 3 days. Each day they called, said it hadnt made the noise and asked would I like to pick it up or leave it with them. Finally it made the noise on the 3rd day. Even if I had picked it up without it making the noise they werent going to bill me. Since I knew what the issue was (and so did they they just had to hear it themselves) its not like they had to do diagnostic work. They literally started the car once an hour or every few hours until it finally made the noise. You need to let them know you are aware of the TSB and that you dont feel you should be billed for a known issue even if they couldnt duplicate it at the time. Not to mention the simple fact of if they are billing you $125 for a diagnostic then they should odviously be able to tell you whats wrong. If they cant tell you whats wrong then WTF did they diagnose and what are they billing you for?
Old 05-12-10, 10:00 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

*** Update i went to the dealership yesterday after work and spoke to the shop lead and told him i was aware of the TSIB for the 350 well he said he would look into it and well i never ended up speaking to him after that my service rep ended up telling they did find a TSIB for it. i will let you guys know what exactly was replaced so anyone with a 250 wont have to go through this with there dealership.
Old 05-12-10, 10:02 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 600rr05
*** Update i went to the dealership yesterday after work and spoke to the shop lead and told him i was aware of the TSIB for the 350 well he said he would look into it and well i never ended up speaking to him after that my service rep ended up telling they did find a TSIB for it. i will let you guys know what exactly was replaced so anyone with a 250 wont have to go through this with there dealership.
Keep us posted. My car is at the dealer now for this exact issue. I'll let you guys know what they come back with as soon as I know something.

EDIT: Dealers ears must have been burning... they just called and told me they found the problem... the "Cam Solenoid" has gone bad. They are replacing it tomorrow and will let me know when the car is ready to pick up.

Last edited by Buds; 05-12-10 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Updated Information
Old 05-12-10, 10:04 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will this be under the 75,000 miles powertrain warranty or just the basic?
Old 05-12-10, 10:07 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by radicalrev
I believe its under the powertrain warranty, however I'm not 100% certain. I'll let you know when I find out for sure.
Old 05-12-10, 10:11 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Buds
This same issue started for me a few months ago. I spent several weeks recording my car starting up using my phone trying to isolate the noise. Of course the car would only make the noise when I wasn't recording.

I was finally able to get a recording of the startup (MP3 audio found here: IS250StartupNoise1.mp3 )

However, when I took the car to my dealer last week, the Service Advisor REFUSED to even listen to the audio clip and proceeded to tell me that the car only makes the noise when the engine is cold (which in my case is absolutely NOT true). My car makes the noise usually after sitting for a bit. Sometimes it's 30 minutes, sometimes its a few hours. The car RARELY does this when I start it first thing in the morning. Sorry, but my engine doesn't "cool down" after being off for 30 minutes, parked outside in 90 degree heat! I will be taking it to either a different dealer, or asking for a different service advisor when I take the car in next week.
How many miles on your car?
Old 05-12-10, 10:14 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

The question I have is: Is this problem solved on current model year (2010/2011) IS350's rolling off the line or is this a problem inherent in the design of the engine and never going away?

Anyone just live with this out of warranty? What happens long term if it never gets fixed? Do the noisy starts lead to something worse?

Last edited by CRB; 05-12-10 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-12-10, 10:20 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Big *****
How many miles on your car?
Almost 38,000 and the problem just started a few months ago
Old 05-12-10, 10:32 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Buds
Almost 38,000 and the problem just started a few months ago
I went to the dealer after about 34k. The sound was more consistent and wasn't going away. I noticed it for the first time around 15 k-20k...
I'm guessing the life span for the part is only around 20-30k thats why some people are bringing the cars back for the second time. Is the cure to get after market lifters?
Old 05-12-10, 11:25 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by radicalrev
Its covered under the power train warranty which is 6 years / 70,000 miles.
Old 05-12-10, 09:20 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

^^^^ That is correct.....
Old 05-14-10, 02:34 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Got my car back from the dealer yesterday. I thought I heard the noise earlier today when starting up but I'm not 100% sure since it was pouring rain. If they did all this work and it's not fixed I'm gonna be pissed. Anyways, here's a copy of the work done including TSIB #s:

Name:  lexus.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  114.3 KB
Old 05-16-10, 05:19 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

yep that is exactly what they did to mine haven't heard that noise since but we will see if it comes back.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)