IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 08:39 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
Will the valve spring recall finally fix this for good?
One has nothing to do with the other
Old 09-06-10, 09:49 PM
delscorcho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took mine to Longo last Tue and got it back on Sat. They changed the cam gears and did the valve spring TSIB at the same time.

I'm surprised they don't change the oil after doing this service. After driving it around yesterday I got some time to change the oil today. Found a few metal flakes in the drain pan that I've never seen with previous oil changes. A few of the flakes I could feel with my fingers and some others were too small to feel. I already tossed the oil filter and was too lazy to fish it out of the trash. I hope the filter caught whatever was in the oil.
Old 10-31-10, 04:19 PM
ltzSupra
Driver

Any idea on how I can prove that I have the rattle noise?

My car does it whenever it wants to, not like I can be prepared with a camera to catch it because I have no idea when its going to happen.
Old 10-31-10, 07:18 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Does anyone have the sound clip I can use to prove to my dealer? I can't record it myself since I have intake/midpipe/axle back and it is way too loud to hear.

I have brought my car in asking for repair on start up crank noise but they said they can't replicate it so they won't fix it.

I hear it at least twice a week.
Old 10-31-10, 07:35 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

My friend 350 sound very loud too, sound like the engine run on low oil? and the sound come from the part under the TB right under the intake pipe, is it the sound you guys have?
Old 11-01-10, 08:04 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus is acutally doing this TSB for my IS250 AWD which I am suprized. Even thou they were unable to reproduce the problem at service, but based on the description of the problem and referencing the TSB for the cam replacement, Lexus was able to approve the work without futher duplication or concern.

I will see how the car is when I pick it up tommorow.
Old 11-02-10, 08:02 AM
Tulsa1
Rookie

I had this TSB done the same time as the lifter recall.
Haven't heard a sound since
I described the sound and that was good enough for them to do the cam replacement.
Old 11-02-10, 10:51 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got my car today. Sound is gone. The engine sounds more robust has seems to have more "vroom" on the engine start. Shutting off the engine is sounds good now too as it use to make an odd cranking once a while similar to the start up issue before.
Old 11-14-10, 06:00 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been 3mo since i had this done but now i notice that my rpm and mph needle dont move all the way to red line then back on start ups? usally when you turn your car on first all the needles move to red line then back to idle. but today i noticed it didnt do that? why is that?
Old 11-15-10, 03:02 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Phew. Just got done reading (well, reading lobuxracer's posts and skimming over most of the others) this epic thread.

I remember hearing this sound from my car a couple of times upon cold start several months ago. After switching to 5w20 synthetic and putting in 6.8 quarts (.1 more than spec) I haven't heard the sound since. I realize after reading this thread I'm merely masking the underlying problem. I'm wondering if I should switch back to 5w30 oil, put in maybe 6.6 quarts to try and induce the problem so that the dealer can perform the TSIB. Or is this insane?
Old 11-21-10, 11:43 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Bump for my possibly stupid question above. ^^^
Old 11-21-10, 03:02 PM
MGLane
Driver School Candidate

^ If I read correctly and caught everything, and who knows at this point because this thread is indeed epic, I would guess that the extra oil is just covering the problem up.... because the problem itself is the sump isn't getting enough oil to the top? So, if you add more oil, then it would seem that it would be easier to get the oil to the top. I don't really know...

To add more fuel to the fire so to speak, I'm a little concerned because while my car is covered under the TSIB vin #'s, I've not yet noticed any sound like what this should be. I would hope (probably foolishly) if it were a global problem affecting every pre- #75015099 IS, then there would have been a recall. Also though, cold in Alabama is completely different from a lot of other people's 'cold.' I wonder if maybe my cold sump starts just aren't cold enough to produce the sound. There have been time were the car has sat for a few days without cranking, and I would have thought that that would be enough of a cold start.

Long story short, if I'm covered by the TSIB, but I haven't yet noticed the noise in about 20k miles and a year of ownership, do I really need to push to have the work done? Will the part inevitably fail eventually (meaning I should get the work done while I'm still in warranty as opposed to being screwed once I'm out)?
Old 11-21-10, 09:24 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Bump for my possibly stupid question above. ^^^
you're insane.
Old 11-22-10, 11:14 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by MGLane
^ If I read correctly and caught everything, and who knows at this point because this thread is indeed epic, I would guess that the extra oil is just covering the problem up.... because the problem itself is the sump isn't getting enough oil to the top? So, if you add more oil, then it would seem that it would be easier to get the oil to the top. I don't really know...

To add more fuel to the fire so to speak, I'm a little concerned because while my car is covered under the TSIB vin #'s, I've not yet noticed any sound like what this should be. I would hope (probably foolishly) if it were a global problem affecting every pre- #75015099 IS, then there would have been a recall. Also though, cold in Alabama is completely different from a lot of other people's 'cold.' I wonder if maybe my cold sump starts just aren't cold enough to produce the sound. There have been time were the car has sat for a few days without cranking, and I would have thought that that would be enough of a cold start.

Long story short, if I'm covered by the TSIB, but I haven't yet noticed the noise in about 20k miles and a year of ownership, do I really need to push to have the work done? Will the part inevitably fail eventually (meaning I should get the work done while I'm still in warranty as opposed to being screwed once I'm out)?

Before your warranty is up go into the dealer and tell them you've heard the noise. They will either fix it, or say they cant reproduce it so its not necessary. If they cant reproduce it, atleast it is on record that you had the car in for servicing of the issue, this way if it comes up after the warranty, its already on record and you should have less hassle getting it covered.

You mentioned only owning the car a year. Are you sure the previous owner didnt already have the work done?
Old 11-22-10, 11:57 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AdioKIP
You mentioned only owning the car a year. Are you sure the previous owner didnt already have the work done?
Yeah, I wondered about. I'll see if I can get a complete service printout.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)