IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 02:19 PM
MGLane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdioKIP
You mentioned only owning the car a year. Are you sure the previous owner didnt already have the work done?
I looked through the records on the drivers.lexus.com site and I didn't see anything that looked like the cam TSIB. There was the seat belt recall, whatever recall this is-- C/S: RECALL NOTICE NUMBER: 9LA 9LA 9LB 9LC--, and the standard oil changes and what not. Nothing that seemed to me to be something like the cam issue.
Old 11-23-10, 02:56 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Cam TSIB refers to the engine startup rattle noise. Anything like that listed?
Old 11-23-10, 03:05 PM
MGLane
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brociouz
^ Cam TSIB refers to the engine startup rattle noise. Anything like that listed?
Nope. Like I said it all looks like pretty standard stuff. I did have the mirror vibration TSIB done though, and it isn't listed, so I guess who knows...
Old 11-29-10, 08:56 AM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Not sure if I am experiencing the same issue here. However my 07 IS250 (with about 49k on the odo) makes a clicking noise when running, especially when cold. Seems more like a cam issue.
Old 11-29-10, 12:18 PM
Ep350
Rookie

[QUOTE=Bichon;2184160]What about them? They make a ticking sound that some have likened to diesel clatter.

whats up everybody. sorry but i'm a newbie to this forum. i'm a proud new owner of an is350 and i'm wondering if it's normal for the car to sound like a "diesel" car when the car is at a normal idle? i just noticed this when the radio was off? thanks.

sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
Old 11-29-10, 12:42 PM
MGLane
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Ep350;5962891]
Originally Posted by Bichon
What about them? They make a ticking sound that some have likened to diesel clatter.

whats up everybody. sorry but i'm a newbie to this forum. i'm a proud new owner of an is350 and i'm wondering if it's normal for the car to sound like a "diesel" car when the car is at a normal idle? i just noticed this when the radio was off? thanks.

sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
The direct injection on the 350 (and other) engines does make a sort of tick-tick-tick sound at idle and is normal. That is certainly more noticeable than non-direct injection engines. The "diesel" sound people are talking about is right at start-up and is noticeably different from the other ticking sound. There is a good video clip capturing the differences between the sound on page 7 (or near there) of this thread. Give it a watch and that should help you be able to tell normal from not.
Old 11-29-10, 12:51 PM
shortbus19
Pole Position

[QUOTE=MGLane;5962940]
Originally Posted by Ep350

The direct injection on the 350 (and other) engines does make a sort of tick-tick-tick sound at idle and is normal. That is certainly more noticeable than non-direct injection engines. The "diesel" sound people are talking about is right at start-up and is noticeably different from the other ticking sound. There is a good video clip capturing the differences between the sound on page 7 (or near there) of this thread. Give it a watch and that should help you be able to tell normal from not.

Thanks for the heads up on the sound file on page 7. Mine definitely does not make that ungodly noise...more of a ticking sound. I suspected it was the DI....but I figured I'd ask. Thanks again man.
Old 11-29-10, 01:07 PM
Ep350
Rookie

Thanks MGLane for the quick response and info. greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-29-10, 04:50 PM
MGLane
Driver School Candidate

No problem guys. This is my second car with direct injection like this and I remember the first time I heard it I was about to flip out because I had no idea what it was. I'm glad I could help!

Now I've just got to figure out how to get my cam guts fixed without having actually heard that noise so far...
Old 11-29-10, 05:45 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allst4r
been 3mo since i had this done but now i notice that my rpm and mph needle dont move all the way to red line then back on start ups? usally when you turn your car on first all the needles move to red line then back to idle. but today i noticed it didnt do that? why is that?
bump any one notice this????
Old 11-30-10, 12:31 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by allst4r
bump any one notice this????
Nope, my needles does the full sweep on the dials. Might want to check with the dealership about that.
Old 11-30-10, 03:36 PM
obicruz
Driver School Candidate

I had this same problem with my '07 250. I was able to record mine with my phone and the service advisor at the dealer plugged the info into the computer and they had a TSB on it. It was a known problem with the cam bearings (???) and they replaced several items. Problem was solved after that.
Old 11-30-10, 06:39 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by intellis
Just received my car back, and there was no noise. I will be listening if it comes back
So far so good and I'am still going strong. I had this done 10/1/2009.

Last edited by intellis; 11-30-10 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Correcting the timeline of service work.
Old 01-03-11, 01:37 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys. When you bring in your cars for these TSIBs are your cars in stock condition. Because my car is lowered and has some mods done to it and its way out of warranty i believe. How will it look bringing in my car in this condition for a TSIB?
Old 01-03-11, 01:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jnguyen87
Hey guys. When you bring in your cars for these TSIBs are your cars in stock condition. Because my car is lowered and has some mods done to it and its way out of warranty i believe. How will it look bringing in my car in this condition for a TSIB?
If your car is out of warranty you'll be paying out of pocket for any work regardless of if there's a TSIB for it or not.

Only recalls are free outside of warranty.

(and even if you were in warranty having aftermarket suspension parts has no relation to having a warranty (TSIB) engine repair done).

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)