IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 12:24 PM
scampbell
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peteypablo
Scampbell, is there a way u can send me original video please! my car does the noise and i cant capture it on video because it does it occasionally and i need it for dealer. i would really appreciate it if u can send me original video to my email so i can use it. thanxs
email: petey24pablo@gmail.com
petey, i just sent it

Last edited by scampbell; 05-11-11 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-17-11, 04:49 AM
30john
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for anyone who has this problem i recommend try getting it on video as that really helps justify the problem. I had this problem and the dealer couldn't duplicate it and so they didn't bother fixing it until i got feed up and started carrying my camera in the car. I started recording everytime i would start the car and recorded at least 10 instances. If you can, use a camera or a smart phone to record the actually noise and they won't argue with you about the TSIB. I had my done at 67k miles finally 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-17-11, 04:52 AM
30john
Driver School Candidate

Question

Everyone who had this done, how long was the services for this TSIB? Mine took 2 days.
Old 05-18-11, 03:37 PM
supz
Driver School Candidate

It took me 4 trips to the dealer to finally get this fixed... The 3 times I took it to the dealer they gave me the "It could not be duplicated" BS while they had the car a week at a time (was getting other work done) and I am 110% sure it rattled/ grinded during start up AT LEAST once there since it was getting pretty bad... After the 3rd "could not duplicate" i got fed up and started recording every startup on my voice recorder... lucky on the second day of recording it rattled/ grinded 5 of 7 startups which I played for the SA on my 4th trip to the dealer. But my SA still gave me the BS that they had to duplicate the sound.. @.@ but she did add on the paper work that I had recorded the issue, which I think helped me get this fixed. Kinda seemed to me the mechanics were avoiding to fix it since it seemed to be a complicated job in my opinion looking at the TSIB... Unless you have some hard evidence, but yea had my car back for 2weeks now no rattles or grinding!!
Old 05-18-11, 07:03 PM
twenty
Pole Position

My car goes in next Tuesday for two days... they are replacing the VVTi unit in both heads.
Old 05-18-11, 07:22 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

i used to have this inconsistent problem... it happened more in the cooler days.... so much for lexus quality.
Old 05-18-11, 09:31 PM
Miggs
Driver

if chatters for only 2 mins right after start up its likely to be piston slap

ask GM about piston slap .. lol

I had the same problem though! it was the VVT actuators!!
or might your problem be the Valve springs? you know there is a recall right
Old 05-19-11, 01:53 PM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
You know actually same thing here. I haven't heard the sound in a long time either and seemed to have stopped after around 12,000 miles. I'm at 14900 right now. When I used to hear the sound it was rare, but was def there once in a while on first start up of the day. BTW Mobile 1 10w30 synthetic has been in my car since it's first oil change.
I have 61,044 miles on my 07 IS and i get the sound every once in awhile. Always to this point on a cold start up....
Old 05-21-11, 03:46 PM
MotoX
Pole Position

Got it back from dealer three days ago. I don't feel any different, but I notice that I think they change the motor oil too. If I knew, I won't change my oil before bring it in for service. So, if you haven't done it I would waited before your next oil change so you get an free oil change. Hope that hope someone.
Old 05-27-11, 05:09 PM
autox250
Driver

the piston slap is alot more noticeable on the ES350... but on these that clanking noise you're hearing is the Intake cam gears on their way to taking a dump... There's a revised cam gear part# the TSIB for it is for 6hrs/labor, eventually the knocking in the gears will shred the bolts that keep the assembly together and send bits of bolts down the front timing cover, best you can hope for is that the cam stops rotating on a relaxed position and you wont bend any valves... and just drive it to the shop limping its a common problem
Old 05-28-11, 01:40 PM
autox250
Driver

here's a picture of a camshaft gear that came apart on a GS350. the hole you see on the gear assembly (left of the colored timing marks) is where the bolts that hold the assembly used to be.... in this case, the chain spins the outer part of the gear but doesnt turn the camshaft...
Attached Thumbnails Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)-photo0107.jpg  
Old 06-02-11, 10:54 AM
nickr9287
Driver School Candidate

I took my 06 IS350 to Lexus of Bellevue on Tuesday to have them do this TSB. Before I could finish telling the service advisor what I was experiencing he said it was a known issue and said they would fix it under warranty. They had the my car for 2 days and it was fixed with the updated part numbers.
I talked to the tech and he said it won’t affect the engine, (which I found hard to believe) but he said it does sound terrible and any dealership worth their salt knows about this issue and will fix it no questions asked.
I will post my work order if it will help anyone get the work done.
Old 06-02-11, 09:46 PM
autox250
Driver

its true, dont find it hard to believe... changing cam gears doesn't affect the engine at all. It's only a revised part, the old gears don't retain oil well that's why the clatter.
Old 06-03-11, 11:27 AM
nickr9287
Driver School Candidate

Agreed. I trust my tech, but after hearing that horrible sound it just seems hard to believe it won’t affect anything long term if it goes unfixed
Old 06-07-11, 08:24 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Just had the work done. It was the same TSB. The dealer noted that corporate needs to specifically authorize the work before it can be done as it seems some dealers were "scamming" corporate to get the money for it. So this might slightly delay things.

But after the work was done, I noticed that my car "feels" (keyword) more responsive. It must be in my head unless the new cam gears did something or my old gears were outta shape. Either way, I like my car more now.

I also noticed the engine sounds slightly different. Almost like there's a constant "kuh" sound. It's probably the cams spinning and it's new design means a different sound. I noticed my engine overall was louder than before (intake and exhaust sounded a tad bit louder) which my friend who's in my car a lot also noticed. Then again it might be placebo.

Either way I'm happy with the job. Couldn't ask for more.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)