IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 01:45 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I've been getting the noise too but randomly. I haven't been able to record it. Anyone get this repair done by a dealer in Northern, NJ?
Old 09-19-11, 01:54 PM
bones714
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this done about a year ago at tri-county lexus in little falls NJ and the noise is back again anyway. It actually make this noise almost every morning and sometimes after a few hours of being parked. I don't know if I want to waste my time having them do it again because I'm not sure they really have a permanent fix for it. The car sounds like crap at startup and I cringe everytime I hear it.
Old 09-20-11, 12:40 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

I'm stick with this predicament. I had the grind happen ONLY ONCE to me for a brief second upon a cold start on a HOT day. Since then it has not happened again. I've taken the car into the local Lexus dealership and ONLY because the Lexus rep was there the guy I spoke with said the rep approved the replacement parts order...yet to this day I have yet to heard back from them (almost been a month).

My question, should I even bother doing the repair until this grind gets more prominent knowing that full well that others have had the replacement cam gears done and NOT fixed the problem?

Thanks for the input/advice!
Old 09-26-11, 01:19 AM
starkey444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bones714
I had this done about a year ago at tri-county lexus in little falls NJ and the noise is back again anyway. It actually make this noise almost every morning and sometimes after a few hours of being parked. I don't know if I want to waste my time having them do it again because I'm not sure they really have a permanent fix for it. The car sounds like crap at startup and I cringe everytime I hear it.
Hi, I believe I was the first person in the UK to have this fix done back in 2008 (I think). after about a year, the problem re-occurred - I took it back to my dealer and he said that Lexus had been continually refining the faulty part and that there had been 5 revisions of the part since mine had been fixed ! They took my car in and did the fix again with a revised part. That was 2 years ago and the problem hasn't re-occured since.

I wouldn't put up with the noise - I'd go have it re-done and hope they put in the latest revision of the faulty part!

Hope this helps
Old 09-26-11, 11:37 AM
bones714
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by starkey444
Hi, I believe I was the first person in the UK to have this fix done back in 2008 (I think). after about a year, the problem re-occurred - I took it back to my dealer and he said that Lexus had been continually refining the faulty part and that there had been 5 revisions of the part since mine had been fixed ! They took my car in and did the fix again with a revised part. That was 2 years ago and the problem hasn't re-occured since.

I wouldn't put up with the noise - I'd go have it re-done and hope they put in the latest revision of the faulty part!

Hope this helps
Well I made an appointment for this Wednesday and I hope they don't give me a hard time about trying to reproduce it. The only time I can be absolutely sure it will happen is the 1st start in the morning. After that it's hit or miss. I also hope there is a new "fix" available otherwise I'm sure it will re-occur somewhere down the road again.
Old 09-28-11, 05:16 AM
bones714
Driver School Candidate

Dropped the car off at the dealer today and I'm praying that they fix this issue for good. Part of me doesn't have too much faith that anything will change because the service rep didn't mention anything about a revised procedure or part for this when he mentioned that I already had this TSB done. I just told him that although I had this "fix" done last year, the problem is back. I really want to keep this car but if I continue to have to hear this rattle/noise, I'm going to have to get rid of it.
Old 09-28-11, 09:08 AM
bones714
Driver School Candidate

Dealer just contacted me and told me they have to order new parts for the job and it won't be finished until tomorrow the earliest. The 1st time I had this done I don't recall them ordering anything and I got the car back the same day. I guess there is hope after all!
Old 09-28-11, 09:14 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bones714
Dealer just contacted me and told me they have to order new parts for the job and it won't be finished until tomorrow the earliest. The 1st time I had this done I don't recall them ordering anything and I got the car back the same day. I guess there is hope after all!
Under warranty work?
Old 09-28-11, 09:54 AM
bones714
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gladius
Under warranty work?
Yes! My original warranty just ran out in August 2011 but the drivetrain warranty was extended 2 more years due to the recall. The car is an 06 but only has 41,000 miles.
Old 10-03-11, 05:04 PM
ald03
Rookie

whats parts did they order? mine has been doing that for awhile and the dealer treats me as if im crazy
Old 10-03-11, 06:07 PM
NESIS250
Driver School Candidate

I started noticing the valve train noise at morning startup.... Especially when started in PWR Mode on cold starts! So far my 2006 IS250 RWD is at 65kmi and has only generated the noise about 5 times before I changed my oil specification weight because of constant hot weather in SFL! I also keep the engine oil pan topped off with an Extra 1/2 quart !!
Old 10-03-11, 07:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

Oil weight and level has nothing to do with it. There are two lock pins in the sprocket that fail to lock the cam in place while oil pressure is low. The IS250 (4GR) cam sprocket is on its fourth revision. The IS350 (2GR) cam sprocket is on its fifth revision. The LSB now covers models through MY 2008.
Old 11-29-11, 05:48 PM
386Kustoms
Driver School Candidate

So since my car is not under warranty is this going to have to come out of pocket to fix?

I have an '06 IS350 with 101,000 miles that I bought in September. I currently get this rattle at least once a day. I found this yesterday after doing some searching.
http://www.lexustsb.com/questions/20...t+Cold+Startup
Old 11-29-11, 05:54 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 386Kustoms
So since my car is not under warranty is this going to have to come out of pocket to fix?

I have an '06 IS350 with 101,000 miles that I bought in September. I currently get this rattle at least once a day. I found this yesterday after doing some searching.
http://www.lexustsb.com/questions/20...t+Cold+Startup

Most likely it will come out of your pocket. The TSB is covered under powertrain warranty.
Old 12-03-11, 07:56 PM
386Kustoms
Driver School Candidate

What parts are actually making the noise?? I tried to skim through the 50 something pages but I'm not finding the answer.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)