IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-12, 06:09 PM
boss22
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS 250 Weird noise when start the engine?? Advice needed!!

Hi everyone. I need your advice asap.
Since we have very warm weather something bad happened to engine in my car..?
When I start it sounds very weird for 1sec or two after that engine runs normally without any weird noises. It doesn't sound bad at every time I start it, it's like every 10 or 15 starts.

Car has 49500 miles right now
1500 miles (1,5 months) ago I switched oil from regular to synthetic. I am not sure I am not killing the engine by what exactly I did...? Many people said not to worry about switching from regular to synthetic but I was kind a suspicious to not to do so but finally I switched to synthetic.
The oil I put is Mobil1 5w30 I have to change once again soon cause is really dark brown after 1,500 miles only - wth??
My question is any idea that noise could be caused by wrong oil? Should I keep synthetic or go back to regular??
Thank you in advance for reply.

Last edited by boss22; 04-20-12 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-20-12, 06:41 PM
swirvin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

There's a TSB for this issue. Just call your local lexus dealer and explain to them what its doing. Its covered under your 70k powertrain.

Had mine fixed a couple months ago.
Old 04-20-12, 06:59 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the TSBs. I posted it a while ago with the PDFs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6243955-post2.html
Old 04-20-12, 07:26 PM
boss22
Driver

damnn is it serious? I red almost whole thread and still can't figure what is TSB?? And what parts have to be replaced?
Or maybe top the engine oil only? Since my last change ( I've done it by myself I put only 6 quarts instead of 6.7? Lets change the oil first then see.
Old 04-20-12, 08:41 PM
Sango
Pole Position

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin also known as
TSIB = Technical Service Information Bulletin

It's not serious but it's more of a something that should be fixed. Bascailly the cam gear has a bit too much freeplay even thou it is built within tolerences. The fix is that the new cam gears are built with tighter tolerences to address the problem.

The symptom would manefest itself during random start up as a rattle as the oil preasure is building up as it occurs as the cam gear is getting lubricated. Similarly, it would also do it on engine shut down (mine did it randomly) as the oil preasure is dropping as the cam gear is losing lubrication.

The parts which need to be replaced is below: from my invoice.

Old 04-20-12, 09:13 PM
boss22
Driver

Thank you sango. Thank you guys.
You think it might be caused I changed the oil from regular to synthetic? Synthetic oil in my opinion its kinda thinner than regular even if they have same weight 5w30 i Think I should never go to synthetic and keep regular but it's too late...
I dont think that going back to regular oil right now changes anything...??

My car is out of warranty, how much you think this going to cost me out of warranty?
Old 04-21-12, 01:06 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Hmm I'm not not how much it would cost out of warranty... You may want to talk with the dealership to see if they can have it done as a warranty repair.

As far as the oils go, keep the synthetic. The problem is with the cam gear so it would not make much of a difference.

For me, I use 0W-30 on the 07 IS.
Old 04-21-12, 05:23 AM
swirvin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

How can your car be out of warranty? My car is a 2006 and I bought it used August of 2011 with 60k miles and called Lexus @68k miles when I heard the same noise and the service adviser said I was still under factory 70k powertrain warranty.

I didn't buy any extra warranty's... They fixed it for free. If its out of warranty, it will be expensive. My service adviser told me the cam gears alone cost lexus $1100, Not counting its several hours of labor.
Old 04-21-12, 06:00 AM
boss22
Driver

Originally Posted by swirvin
How can your car be out of warranty? My car is a 2006 and I bought it used August of 2011 with 60k miles and called Lexus @68k miles when I heard the same noise and the service adviser said I was still under factory 70k powertrain warranty..

My car is salvaged. Bought from auction damaged. No warranty

Ok what anything bad going to happened when I going to drive like that?
Old 04-21-12, 08:44 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to get your opinion. My car has not made any of the noise mentioned. But I was thinking if I should take the car and get the cams replace anyways? What do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 04-21-12, 09:06 AM
Sango
Pole Position

^
You can try, but the dealership may not want to do it if they are unable to reproduce it if you get what I mean. Try having a word with them and see what they say; maybe just say your car does it at random and insist on the repair.

Last edited by Sango; 04-21-12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-21-12, 09:50 AM
boss22
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
^
You can try, but the dealership may not want to do it if they are unabel to reproduce it if you get what I mean. Try having a word with them and see what they say; maybe just say your car does it at random and insist on the repair.
They want me to leave the car overnight and see what they coud find. They charge $120 just for check up what is wrong. I bet they will not find anything cause this is very rarely to spot. So I am not going to waste $120. I've checked the oil level this morning and was between min and max so I topped up the oil and started engine and nothing. Maybe this was caused by the low oil level only?? Anyways today i am going change the oil to Castrol Edge 5W30 full synthetic (right now I have Mobil1 5w30 synth) then I will see how this going to work. Castrol never let me down in any car...
Old 04-21-12, 10:17 AM
Sango
Pole Position

No that won't casue it. The symptom would show during preasure build up and preasure drop as the engine is being started/shut down. When it's already preasured and on, it's fine.
Old 04-21-12, 04:05 PM
boss22
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
No that won't casue it. The symptom would show during preasure build up and preasure drop as the engine is being started/shut down. When it's already preasured and on, it's fine.
Changed for castrol edge 5w30 and first start i heard for 2 sec again then gone.

You think it might be caused by switching frm regular to synthetic? On regular oil (2 moths ago) I had nothing like that ...
I am afraid that synthetic oil made it go bad...
Old 04-21-12, 05:25 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by boss22
Changed for castrol edge 5w30 and first start i heard for 2 sec again then gone.

You think it might be caused by switching frm regular to synthetic? On regular oil (2 moths ago) I had nothing like that ...
I am afraid that synthetic oil made it go bad...
It's more like the previous oil was masking the underlying problem.

You could switch back to regular if you wish. How often do you switch your oil?

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)