IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 12:44 PM
boss22
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingster
About a year now, I started having that same start up issue. I did noticed that sometimes it will simply go away (could it be because oil service was done) for some time and return in a few weeks. I read some of these posts and during the weekend, I added some Toyota 5w -30 and the noise is gone. Noise will be back as other times, but hopefully, I can control the cranking noise by adding oil when low.

If you are running out of miles (warranty) don't drive your car as much and when noise returns, take it to the dealer. Drain some of the oil just to verify if when car is running on low oil the noise is more persistence.

I guess this issue is not of life and death situation to consider it a re-call (federal mandated correction.)
I think you got that right. When the oil is low my car do the same thing . I changed the oil lately and noise is gone even this morning was really cold. I dont really think that outside temperature has to anything to do with this. Like somebody said above is oil pressure dropping off when cold start.

Anyway What oil do you use from Toyota? Just regular 5W30 or synthetic?

I am not going to touch my engine right now.. Screw it, I am going to change the oil every 3k miles even if this is synthetic. We'll see...

I have leaking windows, both front bearing hubs are very noisy and I will need replace them which is $250 a piece , now cranking noise, WTF I am asking?!??? Did I buy Lexus or freakin Ford?? Time to go back to bimmer hell yeah!!!
Old 04-25-12, 03:27 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine "Growling" upon ignition start?!?

Hello All,

So lately, when I press the ignitiion button...the car will start followed by a "growling" of the engine, for lack of a better term. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does it definitely sounds like something is wrong with the car. I've asked a mechanic to look into it, but since it doesn't occur all the time he was unable to diagnose the problem.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I'd really like to figure this out before something really goes wrong and ends up costing me big bucks to fix.

Thanks so much!
Old 04-25-12, 07:02 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boss22
I think you got that right. When the oil is low my car do the same thing . I changed the oil lately and noise is gone even this morning was really cold. I dont really think that outside temperature has to anything to do with this. Like somebody said above is oil pressure dropping off when cold start.

Anyway What oil do you use from Toyota? Just regular 5W30 or synthetic?

I am not going to touch my engine right now.. Screw it, I am going to change the oil every 3k miles even if this is synthetic. We'll see...

I have leaking windows, both front bearing hubs are very noisy and I will need replace them which is $250 a piece , now cranking noise, WTF I am asking?!??? Did I buy Lexus or freakin Ford?? Time to go back to bimmer hell yeah!!!
good luck with that!! you'll be buying 2000 dollar fuel pumps in no time with a bimmer.
Old 04-26-12, 03:46 PM
will_is250
Driver School Candidate

I think it's funny whenever someone talks of how unreliable bimmers are, well the difference is they have never really tried to place themselves as a reliable car. People buy them because they like how they handle and fully expect the ongoing repairs. That might have something to do with them covering maintenance on newer cars.

But with Lexus all we ever hear about is how reliable they are and how long they last. It's understandably frustrating then when at 30k miles the car repeatedly almost stalls out at a light....or grinds sometimes on start-up. by 55k miles my engine was already opened up 3 times and 2 of those were for major repair work(cam gear & pistons). That's pretty bad even for a bimmer, the only thing I can say is that at least the company is trying to fix it, but still this car is a long shot from being a 300k mile car....

If I knew before buying my IS that either way with the bimmer or the lexus I'm going to have all these problems, I too would have gone with the bimmer.

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
good luck with that!! you'll be buying 2000 dollar fuel pumps in no time with a bimmer.
Old 04-26-12, 04:23 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
Yep agreed.

Most people around this area, just get them on a lease than to buy them knowing that.

My co-worker who drives an M3 knows BMWs will cost in the long term as he knew that going in. For his case, he bought the M3 primarily to be used on the track as he does racing with it (licensed). He has told me he as broken suspension pieces and stuff and some of these stuff flew off while at the track, so his car has been through a lot and willing to pay for it. Of course he's got the money so he's fine.

His daily beater is a Nissan Sentra normally and also drives a Dodge diesel truck to pull his boat around.

Last edited by Sango; 04-30-12 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-26-12, 08:09 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by will_is250
I think it's funny whenever someone talks of how unreliable bimmers are, well the difference is they have never really tried to place themselves as a reliable car. People buy them because they like how they handle and fully expect the ongoing repairs. That might have something to do with them covering maintenance on newer cars.

But with Lexus all we ever hear about is how reliable they are and how long they last. It's understandably frustrating then when at 30k miles the car repeatedly almost stalls out at a light....or grinds sometimes on start-up. by 55k miles my engine was already opened up 3 times and 2 of those were for major repair work(cam gear & pistons). That's pretty bad even for a bimmer, the only thing I can say is that at least the company is trying to fix it, but still this car is a long shot from being a 300k mile car....

If I knew before buying my IS that either way with the bimmer or the lexus I'm going to have all these problems, I too would have gone with the bimmer.
Which what my "message" was when I've been chatting with my SA. It's "listen, I love the car.....and I do appreciate the fact that lexus is standing behind it's motor by replacing the shortblock and now the cam gears.."

but ..

i've never had these kinds of issues in a car before. Never!!

It's like the american car companies got the motor right but couldn't do the rest of the car right (like lexus did)...
Old 04-27-12, 07:36 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Default What's the latest info on the noise/crank on start up?

I see there's an old thread and someone posted the bulletin. My car is an 07 but doesnt fall within the correct vin#s for it to be effected. Im getting the noise a little more often lately though. The car was bought there used with no warrenty. I have about 50k on the car. Do you think they will someone how cover this? If I dont get it fixed will the problem get worse?
Old 04-27-12, 09:21 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a huge thread on this, no need for a new one: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

And it's recent, having been posted in only 2 days ago.

If your car is a 2007 and it only has 50k miles, then it's very likely you're still covered by the 6 year/70k mile factory powertrain warranty. Check your in-service date or contact your local dealer to find out if you're still covered by that warranty. The cam gear TSIB is covered by the powertrain warranty.
Old 04-28-12, 07:25 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
There's a huge thread on this, no need for a new one: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

And it's recent, having been posted in only 2 days ago.

If your car is a 2007 and it only has 50k miles, then it's very likely you're still covered by the 6 year/70k mile factory powertrain warranty. Check your in-service date or contact your local dealer to find out if you're still covered by that warranty. The cam gear TSIB is covered by the powertrain warranty.
oh I didnt know that would fall under powertrain. Yes im still covered, they just replaced my torn boot. thanks man
Old 04-28-12, 10:17 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Got this TSB done on mine, Dealership was real nice about it...LOVE my SA!!! If I ever have a job I can't do myself... I will be bringing it to the dealership just so he can get some $$ out of me..

( I left my dash cam in the car and ON, lets see if I still love them after I watch the footage!!)

Yup, watched the dash cam footage and it looks like a real professional operation... one guy stopped at a gas station for a drink or something but that's ok with me!

Last edited by J3ffrey; 04-28-12 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-28-12, 01:38 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Got this TSB done on mine, Dealership was real nice about it...LOVE my SA!!! If I ever have a job I can't do myself... I will be bringing it to the dealership just so he can get some $$ out of me..

( I left my dash cam in the car and ON, lets see if I still love them after I watch the footage!!)

Yup, watched the dash cam footage and it looks like a real professional operation... one guy stopped at a gas station for a drink or something but that's ok with me!
what year is your car? did it fall within the vin#'s of the bulletin? Is there a new bulletin out other then the one posted a couple pages back?
Old 04-28-12, 02:13 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flektone
what year is your car? did it fall within the vin#'s of the bulletin? Is there a new bulletin out other then the one posted a couple pages back?
2007, yes it fell within the vins... I dont think there's a newer one than that.
Old 04-29-12, 07:28 AM
boss22
Driver

Originally Posted by will_is250

I am signed under this!! If I knew that almost every lexus has this issue I would never buy this tight piece of sh...t, but the problem is that the IS shape is the only Lexus shape that looks good to me I dont really like the other at all...

I wonder how does the motor will last with this issue and what may happened if I don't do anything with it?? If you guys know what part touching what part inside the motor when it is occur? Is it cam gears falling apart or it is the chain being no timing enough?
Old 04-30-12, 12:23 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The VVTi cam gears "lose" their mechanical/hydraulic lock which causes the timing chain to "slacken" as the oil pressure bleeds off after shut down. This happened for most of us on cold start for the first instance and the cam gears were replaced and fixed the issue.

The second issue appeared on hot start after about a year or more of use.

On start up the chain will rattle against the tensioners until sufficient oil pressure is built up, because they nolonger lock on shut down,....about two to three seconds. The cam gears were in their fifth revision when I had mine replaced last year,...hopefully that was the last revision.

The F series V8 use electronic VVTi,...they don't suffer from the same issues
Old 04-30-12, 12:34 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boss22
...I wonder how does the motor will last with this issue and what may happened if I don't do anything with it?? If you guys know what part touching what part inside the motor when it is occur? Is it cam gears falling apart or it is the chain being no timing enough?
You motor won't be harmed. I beileve I mentioned this to you before in my previous replies.

Since clubfoot replied, that better explains about the tolerence which I was saying earlier as the original cam gear had too much freeplay (even thou it was built within tolerence). Now with the new revison, the cam gears have been built with tighter tolerences prevent this from happening.

Last edited by Sango; 04-30-12 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)