IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 12:04 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
problem solved.....

I got my car back today. Turns out the noise was from a faulty VVT-i controller. Here's the specifics on the service order.

Faulty VVT-i OCV on right hand side of the engine. Found no9ise coming from right side intake VVT-i gear. Removed intake, right-side valve cover, timing chains. Replaced right side VVT-i camp gear. Let the car sit overnight and check for abnormal noise. O.K. No engine noise. Test drive vehicle and check for all DTC code = OK.

Parts:
(1) 11213-31040 Gasket, Cylinder
(1) 17176-31060 Gasket, Air Surge
(1) 13050-31070 Gear Assy, Camsha
(2) 00272-SLLC2 Super Long Live C

All covered under warranty.

But alas, I picked up the car and lo and behold..... a giant gouge on the front passenger side door, dead center of the panel. 1 step forward...
I'm taking it back by today to have them look at it. They said they could touch it up but it's gonna require more than that...

EDIT: Update. Took it back by the dealer and the service manager, Lloyd, said he'd make it 100% along with a loaner while it was away. Kudos to him and his staff. This is exactly the reason I bought a Lexus and not another Honda or Chevy. Service and a customer-focused attitude like that is what justifies my paying a premium for regular service at the dealership.
Thx for the info, was this a tsb? Also, any problems since?
Lastly, does anyone think NOT having this done, could make the problem worse? I also hate to have them in my engine if I don't have to.
Old 05-04-07, 03:19 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The VVTi system uses motor oil to adjust the cam timing.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)-vvti-vvti.jpg  
Old 05-04-07, 03:46 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
Thx for the info, was this a tsb? Also, any problems since?
Lastly, does anyone think NOT having this done, could make the problem worse? I also hate to have them in my engine if I don't have to.
Lobuxracer mentioned that a TSIB had already been issued. I don't have the need to pay the $10 for techinfo.toyota.com. If you do get a day's subscription I think you would find it there. The tech that I talked to mentioned that a TSIB was forthcoming.
Old 05-04-07, 09:56 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Lobuxracer mentioned that a TSIB had already been issued. I don't have the need to pay the $10 for techinfo.toyota.com. If you do get a day's subscription I think you would find it there. The tech that I talked to mentioned that a TSIB was forthcoming.
Thx, was just hoping someone who'd had the procedure done may have TSB info on their service invoice.
Old 05-04-07, 05:33 PM
caudlek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the noise from the VVT-i camp gear?

.......... Sound Link

Old 05-04-07, 06:22 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by caudlek

.......... Sound Link

Wow you are probably the first to have recorded this elusive noise. I get it once in awhile myself. How often does your car make this noise?
Old 05-04-07, 06:23 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caudlek

.......... Sound Link

Yuppp.... that's it. Great audio on that. You nailed it. Just curious. Are you able to reproduce it every startup? Or only certain times? They should be able to fix this. If you want some specifics (service request #, dealership name, etc.) I'll be happy to provide them to you so that your mechanic can research to see what the problem was and the parts necessary to fix. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 05-04-07, 07:15 PM
caudlek
Driver

Yuppp.... that's it. Great audio on that. You nailed it. Just curious. Are you able to reproduce it every startup? Or only certain times? They should be able to fix this. If you want some specifics (service request #, dealership name, etc.) I'll be happy to provide them to you so that your mechanic can research to see what the problem was and the parts necessary to fix. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Thanks, but I already cut and pasted your details for reference .... the car goes in next Tuesday for new scuff plates, a loose fog and this noise.

The car was doing this much more often and louder up until a week ago when i topped it up with oil ..... it was down 1/4 quart??? .... not sure exactly.
Since the VVT-i camp gear appears to be relying on the oil flow for it to work i guess that shouldn't surprise. Its done it twice in the last ~30 starts since last week.

.......... Sound Link ..... for those of you not sure of the sound it can be heard from the 5 second mark to about the 6 second mark!!

KC

Last edited by caudlek; 05-04-07 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-04-07, 11:25 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is going back in on Monday. They couldn't reproduce the noise last time and I didn't hear it for about 2 weeks after my last oil change.

It's back but not quite as bad and less frequent now.

My SA asked for the list of parts. I'm going to print it out and take it in.
Old 05-05-07, 08:32 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine is fixed two weeks ago, they said the replaced the vvti actuators.
Old 05-05-07, 08:50 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tt061880
mine is fixed two weeks ago, they said the replaced the vvti actuators.
what dealer in Florida?
Old 05-05-07, 12:32 PM
teracon
Driver

Default Valve Lash

I took my vehicle in last week (4/27) and just got it back yesterday. The dealer had to replace the "valve lashes" that was recently revised. The vehicle was in for about a week. In that time, they tore apart most of the engine and replaced guides, seals, gaskets, etc. Thus far, I have not experienced any start-up noise or issues with cylinder misfire.
Old 05-05-07, 04:05 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by car_lost
what dealer in Florida?
JM Lexus in pompano
Old 05-05-07, 04:08 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

what did they put in the service invoice?
Old 05-05-07, 08:20 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Well update for my car.

Its my VVTI controller thing and it will be replaced in June. Apparently the parts are on backorder.

My service advisor says no harm will come to the engine. Still sad that I have to wait for a month. But atleast I know what it is and from what I understand from my advisor the majority of all Lexus dealerships should be aware of this issue.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)