IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 09:34 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Well update for my car.

Its my VVTI controller thing and it will be replaced in June. Apparently the parts are on backorder.

My service advisor says no harm will come to the engine. Still sad that I have to wait for a month. But atleast I know what it is and from what I understand from my advisor the majority of all Lexus dealerships should be aware of this issue.
Yikes, they are that back logged? Is it the same fix likely as this?
--
I took my vehicle in last week (4/27) and just got it back yesterday. The dealer had to replace the "valve lashes" that was recently revised. The vehicle was in for about a week. In that time, they tore apart most of the engine and replaced guides, seals, gaskets, etc. Thus far, I have not experienced any start-up noise or issues with cylinder misfire.
Old 05-06-07, 09:42 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
Yikes, they are that back logged? Is it the same fix likely as this?
--
I took my vehicle in last week (4/27) and just got it back yesterday. The dealer had to replace the "valve lashes" that was recently revised. The vehicle was in for about a week. In that time, they tore apart most of the engine and replaced guides, seals, gaskets, etc. Thus far, I have not experienced any start-up noise or issues with cylinder misfire.
I want to say that I remember the tech I spoke to tell me that the reason they haven't issued the TSB yet is because they have to ramp up production on these parts. They don't have enough in the supply line yet. Same thing with the seatbelt recall a long time ago. As soon as they issued the TSIB, there was a rush on the kits.
Old 05-06-07, 10:01 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Is there any chance the engine noise could be related to the tsb on the oil leak as listed below?

Anyone with an impacted vin notice any oil?
"2006 model year GS 300, IS 250, and IS 350 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown

Some 2006 model year GS 300, IS 250, and IS 350 vehicles may display evidence of a small oil leak, located on the timing cover and/or the Camshaft Housing Sub–assembly. Please use the repair procedure below to address customer concerns."

LINK TO TOPIC ON OIL LEAK TSB DISCUSSION:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...06#post2603606

Last edited by ES3; 05-06-07 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-06-07, 10:09 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had to wait 2 weeks for my parts
Old 05-06-07, 03:32 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car does not leak oil and it appears they are going to replace my VVTI thing, I don't recall him saying anything about the valve stuff. He said its because oil is draining out of the controller I guess and then once the engine starts it gets pumped back through.

He said they had a conference call with corporate about this a few weeks ago. So they are aware. All I said was "two second clatter on start up" and he knew exactly what I was talking about. There's another IS thats a 2006 build with only 10k miles that is going in for the same thing.
Old 05-06-07, 05:24 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
Is there any chance the engine noise could be related to the tsb on the oil leak as listed below?

Anyone with an impacted vin notice any oil?
"2006 model year GS 300, IS 250, and IS 350 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown

Some 2006 model year GS 300, IS 250, and IS 350 vehicles may display evidence of a small oil leak, located on the timing cover and/or the Camshaft Housing Sub–assembly. Please use the repair procedure below to address customer concerns."

LINK TO TOPIC ON OIL LEAK TSB DISCUSSION:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...06#post2603606
I think these two things are unrelated.
Old 05-06-07, 05:26 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
He said they had a conference call with corporate about this a few weeks ago. So they are aware.
My diagnostician must have been on the same call. He said that they have monthly calls and this topic was discussed. So, it must be true. He also said they're waiting to announce the TSIB until they get enough parts manufactured FWIW.
Old 05-12-07, 08:32 AM
kramo
Rookie

Caudlek,

Are you in the Toronto area? what dealership are you taking it to?

(Sent you a PM with the same question!)
Old 05-12-07, 11:08 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
My diagnostician must have been on the same call. He said that they have monthly calls and this topic was discussed. So, it must be true. He also said they're waiting to announce the TSIB until they get enough parts manufactured FWIW.
That is exactly what I was told. They are trying to manufacture more parts. They said this noise originated in the ES350. Those poor cars are having the worst issues.

I was concerned about the GS350, doesn't it use the 2GR-FSE?
Old 05-12-07, 06:27 PM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by kramo
Caudlek,
Are you in the Toronto area? what dealership are you taking it to?
(Sent you a PM with the same question!)
No Kramo, I'm in Ottawa.

The dealer here says the engine sound is "normal" (and it’s the fuel pump) .... although I doubt they actually heard it as it’s inconsistent. I provided them with a printout of the problem and a link to my sound byte but I don’t believe they checked it out.

This dealer is an OK dealer but never has been exceptional in any way .

KC
Old 05-13-07, 02:33 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

We're all going to self destruct?
Old 05-13-07, 06:36 AM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
We're all going to self destruct?
Well, hopefully not .... no one has actually mentioned thatthe VVTI controller
issue is anything other than noise .... what does is it's failure imply ..... who
is the OVC expert here???

"ES3" ... how do you find the park assist? I scraped up my front lip real nice
a few weeks ago ..... the lower lip is LOW ..... didn't realize that till too late.

Does it work on a 6-8" tall tire stop/curb that is common in parking lots?

I just had my front and back bumper covers pulled, and painted, so it looks great but i need to work on my "depth perception" i guess !

KC
Old 05-13-07, 07:43 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caudlek
"ES3" ... how do you find the park assist? I scraped up my front lip real nice
a few weeks ago ..... the lower lip is LOW ..... didn't realize that till too late.

Does it work on a 6-8" tall tire stop/curb that is common in parking lots?
Curbs still appear to be invisible to the park assist, it's more so for pillars etc. I just always give more space when coming up to a curb. So far so good.
Old 05-20-07, 06:31 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Angry

Well @#$%...... After about three weeks of no noise after they replaced the VVTI thing..... I started it up again today and guess what? I heard the noise. I'm hoping it's just the one they DIDN'T replace (they only replaced one and there are two, one for each set of cylinders). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't hear it again. If I do I'm gonna be an unhappy puppy.
Old 05-20-07, 11:13 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I changed my oil and filter today, and after letting the car sit for about 2 hours I started the car and heard the noise. I haven't heard in at least a month, but it didn't surprise me after draining the system of oil. Sadly, when I brought it in to the dealership last week it didn't make the noise...

Javier

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)