IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Money burning a hole for mods... which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 04:49 PM
Weedo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, there are a couple of things I'd like to address here:

1. You can't "blanket statement" that exhaust won't produce power on a naturally aspirated car. I keep saying this, buy my SRT-8 gained 21rwhp (as did others locally, and more on the forums). I had an M3 gain 12rwhp. My Lightning gained around 8rwhp (supercharged). My Mustang gained 18rwhp. And I could go on.....

As far as the exhaust, it turns out the LMS does not delete the pre-cats so the car still has cats. I will probably go with the LMS and will do back-to-back dyno runs as I have done with all my cars in the past.

2. Intakes.......... I can't express enough that an intake is NOT going to give you the numbers in the dyno. They rarely do. But once you're on the road and moving, the air coming in will be cool and flowing enough to make the difference. I almost always run a 1/4 mile run with any intake and on all that I can remember gain in the .1 range. If I can't hit the 1/4 mile, I use my GTech. Now, that's not to say that they ALL make power as they probably don't. I'm sure you've all read on the new G35 twin-intake that gains 0hp on the dyno but is supposedly worth 6hp or so once you're moving. Similar theory here.

Since there isn't much info out there, I'm going to go with the LMS Intake and Exhaust. They're backordered for 3 weeks. Once I get them, I'll do some back-to-backs and some GTechs at the very least. (I still want to figure out a bit more on how there are still 2 pre-cats yet it is not "street legal".

Anyway, good info, keep it coming!
Old 10-17-06, 04:55 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

If you are referring to my response, you got me wrong on what i was trying to say. What I said was that he will not be able to see significant gains from exhausts and intakes. It sounded like that you were wanting a significant gain from your post so i thought that is what you intended. If you are looking for best gains with the aftermarket modifications out at this point, your best bet is LMS exhauhst and their intake.
Old 10-17-06, 04:59 PM
Xelvic
Driver

Here vote in my poll.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241442

I’ve been trying like hell to get the aftermarket players interested in this car. It seems that most IS owners do not care about doing anything to there car other then trying to keep it stock. I sold my 2005 Acura TL to get this car. I used to b**ch over at their forums about no aftermarket. I didn’t know how good I had it compared to the IS. I thought when I bought this car that the aftermarket would be all over a rear wheel drive 306 hp sports sedan that mostly the young crowd is buying. Boy was I wrong! I guess what it comes down to is that most Lexus owners are just not interested. I’m starting to realize that if I wanted a car to mod I should’ve got the 2007 G35. I like the IS so much more but with the money I’d save buying the G35 I could’ve modded the hell out of that car. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
Old 10-17-06, 05:14 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Weedo;2187229]Ok, there are a couple of things I'd like to address here:

I keep saying this, buy my SRT-8 gained 21rwhp (as did others locally, and more on the forums). I had an M3 gain 12rwhp. My Lightning gained around 8rwhp (supercharged). My Mustang gained 18rwhp. And I could go on.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow...........I don't know what to say right now.....I'm still on the floor laughing.............Hey, I've got a really cool 'basement' apartment right on the beach for sale.........you interested?

No really...........go ahead and buy your exhaust.....I wish you well.
Old 10-17-06, 05:19 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Xelvic
Here vote in my poll.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241442

I’ve been trying like hell to get the aftermarket players interested in this car. It seems that most IS owners do not care about doing anything to there car other then trying to keep it stock. I sold my 2005 Acura TL to get this car. I used to b**ch over at their forums about no aftermarket. I didn’t know how good I had it compared to the IS. I thought when I bought this car that the aftermarket would be all over a rear wheel drive 306 hp sports sedan that mostly the young crowd is buying. Boy was I wrong! I guess what it comes down to is that most Lexus owners are just not interested. I’m starting to realize that if I wanted a car to mod I should’ve got the 2007 G35. I like the IS so much more but with the money I’d save buying the G35 I could’ve modded the hell out of that car. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
I think there is a lot of people with 2IS's that want to modify their cars, but just can't justify spending big bucks on parts that give little to no gains. I see more and more people with modified suspensions and aftermarket wheels, so i'm fairly certain the want is there, but the current products available for making any power are not yet produced or proved beyond doubt.
Old 10-17-06, 05:25 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Weedo, I see you are in AZ. Let me know when you get the mods and get them installed. If you are ok with it, I would love to come see the finished product. I, too, am looking at making my car BPU.

On a second note, I hope all of us AZ folks can get together sometime.. maybe a Globe or Payson cruise and lunch.

Anyways, keep us posted on your progress! I'm excited to hear about it and hopefully see it!
Old 10-17-06, 05:27 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

[QUOTE=Gtidan;2187275]
Originally Posted by Weedo
Ok, there are a couple of things I'd like to address here:

I keep saying this, buy my SRT-8 gained 21rwhp (as did others locally, and more on the forums). I had an M3 gain 12rwhp. My Lightning gained around 8rwhp (supercharged). My Mustang gained 18rwhp. And I could go on.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow...........I don't know what to say right now.....I'm still on the floor laughing.............Hey, I've got a really cool 'basement' apartment right on the beach for sale.........you interested?

No really...........go ahead and buy your exhaust.....I wish you well.
What was so funny about posting numbers from dynoing other cars?
Old 10-17-06, 05:51 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=JB IS350X;2187298]
Originally Posted by Gtidan

What was so funny about posting numbers from dynoing other cars?
Did I miss something here? I don't see any dyno numbers just statements without proof. Show me the dynos and I'll eat the crow. Until than I'm laughing.......
Old 10-17-06, 05:59 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by caymandive
I think there is a lot of people with 2IS's that want to modify their cars, but just can't justify spending big bucks on parts that give little to no gains. I see more and more people with modified suspensions and aftermarket wheels, so i'm fairly certain the want is there, but the current products available for making any power are not yet produced or proved beyond doubt.

I agree. The want is there. However, when the availability is not, we spend the money on other "mods" for our cars. Granted, I recognize not everyone on this forum is this way. However, I for one would rather spend $3k on some nice engine and performance modifications then on wheels. Yes, I want wheels, but I like the X-Package wheels I have right now, and I have no problem keeping my car a sleeper. I did not buy the Lexus for the purpose of modding, I would have bought a MKIV for that. I did buy an amazing car though, with every option I could want a car has to offer, and I want to make it personalized to me with some performance mods.
Old 10-17-06, 07:21 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JB IS350X
I agree. The want is there. However, when the availability is not, we spend the money on other "mods" for our cars. Granted, I recognize not everyone on this forum is this way. However, I for one would rather spend $3k on some nice engine and performance modifications then on wheels. Yes, I want wheels, but I like the X-Package wheels I have right now, and I have no problem keeping my car a sleeper. I did not buy the Lexus for the purpose of modding, I would have bought a MKIV for that. I did buy an amazing car though, with every option I could want a car has to offer, and I want to make it personalized to me with some performance mods.
Well said my friend. Couldn't agree with you more. Each time I push the start button I find myself enjoying the car more and the amazing technology that went into it.
Old 10-19-06, 08:06 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Any updates Weedo?

I did some research (probably common knowledge to those who have had a brand new car in AZ before) and found out we don't have emissions testing for the first 5 years we own the car. If LMS is the best out and going to be the best out, then I will have it bought and installed very soon.

Anyone hear any leaks about any other exhausts coming out soon that are supposed to be impressive?