IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Money burning a hole for mods... which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 09:50 AM
Weedo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Money burning a hole for mods... which ones?

It doesn't appear that there are a lot of us out here buying mods for the IS350. I've been following for a while now trying to determine which exhaust and which intake are "the best". What I'm really looking for is some real independant dyno's that have been done testing before/after for the various intakes/exhausts. Maybe my searching sucks, or there are really only a couple people that have done any dyno runs. I struggle with spending $1000-$1800 for an intake/ehaust setup with a gain of 5hp (+/-). But I'm certainly willing to fork over the dough for some proven performance parts. Lord knows I've spend upwards of $10,000 on mods on my previous toys!

As always, the more info the better!
  • I can't find any dynos on the LMS exhaust.
  • Tanabe appears to be, what, 3hp? Or is it 7hp?
  • Is the K&N Typhoon kit really 11.27hp at the wheels? Hopup wouldn't say if it was at the wheels or the crank, and they don't have any dyno graphs.
  • What about the LMS intake? Any real numbers on it?
  • Are there any other exhausts or intakes that I should consider that someone has real numbers on?
Old 10-17-06, 10:14 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Weedo
It doesn't appear that there are a lot of us out here buying mods for the IS350. I've been following for a while now trying to determine which exhaust and which intake are "the best". What I'm really looking for is some real independant dyno's that have been done testing before/after for the various intakes/exhausts. Maybe my searching sucks, or there are really only a couple people that have done any dyno runs. I struggle with spending $1000-$1800 for an intake/ehaust setup with a gain of 5hp (+/-). But I'm certainly willing to fork over the dough for some proven performance parts. Lord knows I've spend upwards of $10,000 on mods on my previous toys!

As always, the more info the better!
  • I can't find any dynos on the LMS exhaust.
  • Tanabe appears to be, what, 3hp? Or is it 7hp?
  • Is the K&N Typhoon kit really 11.27hp at the wheels? Hopup wouldn't say if it was at the wheels or the crank, and they don't have any dyno graphs.
  • What about the LMS intake? Any real numbers on it?
  • Are there any other exhausts or intakes that I should consider that someone has real numbers on?
Yes, I am also interested in the same answers...
Old 10-17-06, 10:14 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Weedo, yes your searching does suck because there are quite a few intake/exhaust choices available for the 2IS... just kidding!
It doesn't appear that there are a lot of us out here buying mods for the IS350. I've been following for a while now trying to determine which exhaust and which intake are "the best".
Good luck with that one...
What I'm really looking for is some real independant dyno's that have been done testing before/after for the various intakes/exhausts.
Good luck with that one, too...
I struggle with spending $1000-$1800 for an intake/ehaust setup with a gain of 5hp (+/-).
You certainly don't need to spend that much. Check out this thread and you'll see almost every possible intake/exhaust comination availalble for the 2IS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235313

Hope this helps,

Javier
Old 10-17-06, 12:27 PM
Weedo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Weedo, yes your searching does suck because there are quite a few intake/exhaust choices available for the 2IS... just kidding! Good luck with that one...
Good luck with that one, too...
You certainly don't need to spend that much. Check out this thread and you'll see almost every possible intake/exhaust comination availalble for the 2IS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235313

Hope this helps,

Javier

Helps a little bit, but really just shows that no one has spent $60 and and 30 minutes to dyno test any of the products. I'm sure some of us have, but the only ones I recall seeing showed little to no gains.

Another options is to show some back-to-back Gtech times or actual 1/4 mile times. Intakes are notorious for putting out 0hp on the dyno yet can yeild, say, .1 in the quarter mile.

I dyno'd my '06 SRT-8 before and after the exhaust install and it was around 21rwhp/20rwtq. Others got similar gains. I'm just surprised I'm not seeing any exhausts being tested with proven gains. LMS hasn't responded to any of my questions regarding dyno numbers on their exhaust, or even how it works as far as throwing codes with no cats. If the LMS puts down 20rwhp and the Tanabe is 5rwhp, that will certainly help my decision... I haven't seen any dyno numbers on the LMS intake either.
Old 10-17-06, 12:56 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Save your money and take a vacation instead. None of the intakes will make much of a difference and if you are itching to buy an intake the JOEZ intake pipe is what I recommend. Works for me plain and simple as this is my only mod and it hasn't disappointed me yet. If I were to get an exhaust I really would have to have money burning a hole in my pocket. Most run between $650-$1400 and give little gain and have minimal weight savings. HKS through the dealers seems to be the most expensive, but from what I have heard sounds very good. Would love to see someone "third party" dyno before and after the exhaust install.
Old 10-17-06, 01:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the car paid off?
Old 10-17-06, 01:05 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

LMS hasn't responded to any of my questions regarding dyno numbers on their exhaust, or even how it works as far as throwing codes with no cats. If the LMS puts down 20rwhp and the Tanabe is 5rwhp, that will certainly help my decision... I haven't seen any dyno numbers on the LMS intake either.
Here is a link to my LMS intake dyno. Sold shortly after dyno session.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201659
Old 10-17-06, 01:24 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the end most of the $$$$$ spent on an exhaust system will be for nothing other than the satisfaction is setting your car apart from the crowd.....at least some of the crowd

Adding a new exhaust to a modern car for a power gain you can feel is the biggest waste of $$$$$$$$ there is next to drugs. On the other hand if your looking for a different sound and looks that's another story but still an expensive program. Modern exhaust systems are very efficient these days and that's why most exhaust companies are reluctant to publish data and those that do are usually bs-ing you.

I also have problems with those intake systems as well. I've seen test results where the power actually dropped. Why? Because most of the systems take air in from under the hood and where the temp can be 140 degrees or more. Ever notice how your stock system gets it air from outside the car? There's a good reason for that. Most dyno results I've seen were taken with the hood open........not closed as in the real world.

Unless you live at the drag strip and every tenth of a second counts. Take the money and spend it on a nice vacation and you'll get more bang for your buck.....

Just food for thought
Old 10-17-06, 01:42 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it's stupid to get an exhaust system JUST for power, it is a nice plus, unless you think that all reported power gains are just a complete scam (which I find difficult to believe).

I mean, 9-10 rwhp (like in the HKS exhaust) isn't exactly overwhelming, but it's nothing to sneeze at. It's an incremental improvement... and those all add up.

Throw in the improved exhaust note, slightly updated appearance, and slightly lower curb weight, and you have something that at $500-$1000 is at least as good of an investment as, let's say, a $2500-$4000 set of rims IMO...
Old 10-17-06, 02:06 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
While it's stupid to get an exhaust system JUST for power, it is a nice plus, unless you think that all reported power gains are just a complete scam (which I find difficult to believe).

I mean, 9-10 rwhp (like in the HKS exhaust) isn't exactly overwhelming, but it's nothing to sneeze at. It's an incremental improvement... and those all add up.

Throw in the improved exhaust note, slightly updated appearance, and slightly lower curb weight, and you have something that at $500-$1000 is at least as good of an investment as, let's say, a $2500-$4000 set of rims IMO...

I would be really suspect of any power claims of 9/10 RWHP for adding just an exhaust......
Old 10-17-06, 02:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

tanabe claims 7-8 rwhp, apparently the stock exhaust is restrictive, gains would be better if the resonator could be replaced too
Old 10-17-06, 02:56 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gtidan
In the end most of the $$$$$ spent on an exhaust system will be for nothing other than the satisfaction is setting your car apart from the crowd.....at least some of the crowd

Adding a new exhaust to a modern car for a power gain you can feel is the biggest waste of $$$$$$$$ there is next to drugs. On the other hand if your looking for a different sound and looks that's another story but still an expensive program. Modern exhaust systems are very efficient these days and that's why most exhaust companies are reluctant to publish data and those that do are usually bs-ing you.

I also have problems with those intake systems as well. I've seen test results where the power actually dropped. Why? Because most of the systems take air in from under the hood and where the temp can be 140 degrees or more. Ever notice how your stock system gets it air from outside the car? There's a good reason for that. Most dyno results I've seen were taken with the hood open........not closed as in the real world.

Unless you live at the drag strip and every tenth of a second counts. Take the money and spend it on a nice vacation and you'll get more bang for your buck.....

Just food for thought
Not true. The Tanabe sticker adds 11hp alone.
Old 10-17-06, 03:42 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dabigman
Not true. The Tanabe sticker adds HP alone.

Not a chance in hell it does that. Remember Tom Cruiser's remark: Show me the money? Well; Show me the dyno chart? From someone legitimate.

There was also this guy, an circus owner I think, who coined the expression: There's a sucker born every minute. Ever hear of it? For me the fish ain't bitting on that lure.....
Old 10-17-06, 03:53 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

You will not get significant gains from N/A mods or bolt on performance mods such as an exhaust and intake. You will probably get most hp gain from the LMS exhaust but it will not be legal. I believe that LMS is comming up with a supercharger and that would probably be your best bet if you dont mind your warranty. Good luck!
Old 10-17-06, 04:15 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, you're taking it a little too far.

I know it's possible to power a car up a significant amount while keeping it naturally aspirated. There's no single end-all solution, but there are a lot of small changes you can make that can upgrade performance incrementally. I haven't done a significant amt of research into those kinds of mods for the 350 (yet), but I'm sure you can make a decent amount of progress with the car.

Even if there isn't a whole lot available yet, I'd think there should be soon. I knew of people with the IS300 who got that car up to 300+ bhp without forced induction. Legally... (90% sure about that last part, anyways).

Quick Reply: Money burning a hole for mods... which ones?