IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

decisions decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 06:27 PM
nmes923
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decisions decisions...

between the new HKS exhaust that lexus is selling now and the tanabe exhaust, which one would give better numbers in term of performance? the lexus hks is relatively new, so im aware that not many people have it, but ill ask since its worth a try thanks =D any other suggestions are welcome
Old 10-17-06, 06:46 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

Well i'm sure HP number will be very similiar,i'ts only an exhaust! But HKS sounds ALOT better!
Old 10-17-06, 07:05 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

if you are looking for performance, you will not gain much from neither. I think they will both be relatively the same. HKS i beluieve sounds better(from videos) and is a little less conservative sounding than the Tanabe(from videos). haha i am not to judge as you can tell..
Old 10-17-06, 08:36 PM
nmes923
Rookie

i see... i want to buy that lexus HKS exhaust, but i heard theyre releasing a new systen from hks and i dont know if should wait because if its just an axle back itll be pointless =/
Old 10-17-06, 08:46 PM
nmes923
Rookie

hmmm the lexus hks exhaust is a little more than 1k and its an axle back, the lms exhaust which has some good numbers from dyno is around the same price and is a true full exhaust system. why doesnt everyone just get that? i know that it doesnt pass the smog test... so how would you deal with that? if i buy it and want to get it installed will they ask questions about the exhaust?
Old 10-18-06, 12:33 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

hks is coming out with another after market exhasut for lexus is, iam waiting for that one.. the dealer option one is ok..
Old 10-18-06, 06:29 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nmes923
hmmm the lexus hks exhaust is a little more than 1k and its an axle back, the lms exhaust which has some good numbers from dyno is around the same price and is a true full exhaust system. why doesnt everyone just get that? i know that it doesnt pass the smog test... so how would you deal with that? if i buy it and want to get it installed will they ask questions about the exhaust?
Everyone doesn't get the LMS because first and foremost, it's illegal in many states as you acknowledged. To pass smog tests, not only would you have to keep an extra exhaust system around, but you'd also need the time, skill, tools, and patience to return the system to a "smog-passable" state. This, of course, becomes a moot point if you're not in a state that is **** about smog tests. Secondly, having personally heard it, I can say that the LMS system is loud and there is also a noticeable drone when cruising. As far as getting it installed, the only people who would ask any questions about your exhaust would be your smog testing officials if you fail the emissions test.

Javier
Old 10-18-06, 08:30 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Everyone doesn't get the LMS because first and foremost, it's illegal in many states as you acknowledged. To pass smog tests, not only would you have to keep an extra exhaust system around, but you'd also need the time, skill, tools, and patience to return the system to a "smog-passable" state. This, of course, becomes a moot point if you're not in a state that is **** about smog tests.
Javier
It's actually illegal in all states. It's a federal regulation that you cannot remove/replace the OEM cats unless they are damaged or defective. If they do get damaged or are defective, you must replace them with the same OEM cats.

You are very correct about certain states being more relaxed than others, not testing, etc.
Old 10-18-06, 09:05 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al503
It's actually illegal in all states. It's a federal regulation that you cannot remove/replace the OEM cats unless they are damaged or defective. If they do get damaged or are defective, you must replace them with the same OEM cats.

You are very correct about certain states being more relaxed than others, not testing, etc.
So, you are saying that if I would get HKS or Tanable exhaust (not oem), would that be illegal?
Old 10-18-06, 10:21 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by viettho
So, you are saying that if I would get HKS or Tanable exhaust (not oem), would that be illegal?
Since these do not change/remove the stock catalytic converters, AFAIK, they are legal.
Old 10-18-06, 10:57 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Correct - the Tanabe is an "axle-back" exhaust system, and does not delete any cats.

Javier
Old 10-18-06, 11:02 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by viettho
If it's offered as an accessory by Lexus dealers (HKS exhaust) how can it be illegal ? Remember this is the same car company that won't let us input Nav adjustments while in motion . . .
Old 10-18-06, 11:37 AM
Weedo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Everyone doesn't get the LMS because first and foremost, it's illegal in many states as you acknowledged. To pass smog tests, not only would you have to keep an extra exhaust system around, but you'd also need the time, skill, tools, and patience to return the system to a "smog-passable" state. This, of course, becomes a moot point if you're not in a state that is **** about smog tests. Secondly, having personally heard it, I can say that the LMS system is loud and there is also a noticeable drone when cruising. As far as getting it installed, the only people who would ask any questions about your exhaust would be your smog testing officials if you fail the emissions test.

Javier
It does leave the precats which is nice. I'm 99% this is what I'll go with. I want it louder as I've heard the Tanabe is just barely above stock, and doesn't produce much if any power. So basically $600 for slightly nicer tips.

The LMS actually produces gains which is what most people want when replacing the exhaust.

You mentioned it's LOUD. Of course this is relative; can you say what it might compare to? 350Z loud? Civic with straight pipe loud? Or Mustang GT with Flowmasters loud?
Old 10-18-06, 11:44 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

I Believe Every Car You See Out There Thats Tuned, Will Not Pass A Reg Smog Check Lol..* It Doesnt Really Matter You Can Bypass It Either Way! $$$ Performance Is Everything Now HKS Needs To Bring That TRUE DUAL EXHAUST OUT!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-06, 12:43 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I'll preface my comments by stating that I'm not trying to say one exhaust is better than another or convince you of such - just trying to lay out some personal observations (as in "my own thoughts" - not what I "heard" from anyone else) which might help those of you who haven't had the opportunity to see and hear the exhausts in person (which is clearly the best way to pick these things, but obviously not possible for everyone )
Originally Posted by Weedo
It does leave the precats which is nice. I'm 99% this is what I'll go with. I want it louder as I've heard the Tanabe is just barely above stock, and doesn't produce much if any power. So basically $600 for slightly nicer tips.
One of the things that I love the best about the Tanabe is that it produces a nice, deep hum at low RPM's - not ricey at all, but instead is a very "high-end" and classy sound. Additionally, the sound is only there when I want it to be. In other words, when I stand on the throttle, you can obviously tell that I have an aftermarket exhaust. However, in normal driving or in freeway/crusing type situations, there is no cabin drone, and this was a HUGE factor for me in selecting this exhaust. The stock exhaust, I'm sure everyone will agree, is silent. The sound you get from the Tanabe is completely different, and most definitely louder than stock. Now, in regards to the value of the system, I would disagree with you that it's "basically $600 for slightly nicer tips." It's lighter than the stock exhaust, extremely well-built, much better-looking, throws in some modest gains to boot, and I absolutely love the sound.

The LMS exhaust produces a sound that I liken more to a muscle car. It is a very throaty exhaust note, and I like it, too. If I were to pick an exhaust on ONLY sound, the LMS would probably be my pick. However, there were a couple of things that I didn't like about this exhaust: 1) the drone. I had a Magnaflow dual cat-back exhaust on my Chevy Z71 that had better road manners than this thing - as you can tell, cabin drone is one of my pet peeves. 2) More importantly, the smog inspection issue. I don't have time or the desire to come up with a scheme to pass smog tests.

Originally Posted by Weedo
The LMS actually produces gains which is what most people want when replacing the exhaust.
That is usually true. However, the exhaust situation for this car is quite different than, say, a Ford Mustang. The 2GR-FSE engine is already a high-compression engine with a well-designed and efficient exhaust system. Low compression engines like those found in Mustangs and Corvettes tend to respond much better to intake and exhaust modifications because of their pre-existing ineffeciencies. This has basically reduced the exhaust market for the 2IS to "which sound do you like best?" unless you have connections that can help you circumvent your smog inspections. While the LMS supposedly offers the most in performance gains, there are sacrifices in luxury and regulatory compliance which must be dealt with. In the end, it's your car and your money, so spend it on what you like, don't look back!

Hope I've helped!

Javier

Quick Reply: decisions decisions...