IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Plastic Snaps around the engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 07:34 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plastic Snaps around the engine bay

Anyone have any useful suggestions for the easy removal and replacement of those plastic snaps used to hold down the covers around the engine? Do I need a special tool?

I found you can remove them by poking the center tap down but was unable to get the tab back up so I could replace it. It can't be that hard but I guess I'm slow in figuring it out....

Along those same lines once the from cover/s are removed can you get to the high and low bean bulbs to replace them?

Any help would be appreciated...
Old 10-18-06, 07:40 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the split ends apart and push the center tab in the other way. take care not to pull the split ends too far apart and snap them off.
Old 10-18-06, 07:50 PM
buhda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tabs gave me a bit of a problem too trying to pop back in the first time. All you have to do is pull the bottom of the tab apart and the the tab should pop back up. Hope this makes sense
Old 10-18-06, 09:47 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

The owner's manual is your friend... there's a very useful diagram on how to pop the center button back up by spreading the legs of the clips in the Owner's Manual under the section: "How to replace your headlight bulb."

Javier
Old 10-19-06, 06:31 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know where to buy some of these clips? i few of mine fell into the engien bay. i got some at the dealer, but the ones they ordered are different and they say those are the only ones they can get.
Old 10-19-06, 08:50 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I got mine from the dealer, mainly because I didn't feel like searching around for some other ones. We searched the exploded diagram of the engine bay on the parts department computer, and discovered they are Lexus part # 90467-07211, and cost $1.74 each. They've changed the clips, though - the new ones fill out the hole better and don't break NEARLY as easily. However, they are unfortunately a bit more difficult to take out than the original clips. To take these out, you have to work your fingernail or a flathead screwdriver into the center lip of the button, instead of just pressing the small head all the way down like on the original clips. Anyway, I like the new ones WAY better than the old ones...

Javier
Old 10-19-06, 09:00 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

the new ones you are talking about are the ones i recieved. i have a printout of all the part numbers for clips and what not for the engine bay. it shows 2 different part numbers for the clips. 1 part number for the clips on the front panel and another one for the clips on the 2 side panels.
Old 10-19-06, 09:36 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

So what are the part numbers?

Javier
Old 10-19-06, 10:11 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted a DIY in the 3GS section... Here you go: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...71&postcount=9
Old 10-19-06, 10:59 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by javyLSU
So what are the part numbers?

Javier
i'll have to look for the printout once i get out of work. hopefully i remember.
Old 10-19-06, 06:06 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
I posted a DIY in the 3GS section... Here you go: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...71&postcount=9
Ahhhhhhhhh. In a sea of nonsense and worthless comments that serve no purpose there comes a diamond up from the sand. Thank you so much for the photos and instructions.

Final question on the subject. After I've done all that is there any other hidden gems I need to know before I can remove the high beam bulbs?
Old 10-19-06, 07:09 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Ahhhhhhhhh. In a sea of nonsense and worthless comments that serve no purpose there comes a diamond up from the sand.
Whoa there. Just because you're lazy and refuse to read your owner's manual or the rest of the instructions provided here for your convenience doesn't give you the right to dog everyone's attempt here to help you...

Javier
Old 10-19-06, 07:23 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Whoa there. Just because you're lazy and refuse to read your owner's manual or the rest of the instructions provided here for your convenience doesn't give you the right to dog everyone's attempt here to help you...

Javier
Sorry.................didn't mean to hit a nerve ol' boy. But if your honest to yourself you'll admit there is a lot of useless chatter on this and most other forums. I mean stuff like: Oh boy.........I got one......come see it is pretty lame. Yes, I know we're all excited when we pick up our new car but..........

And I didn't say 'everyone' now did I? I've found a lot of useful information mixed in with a lot of total nonsense. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

I'm talking about useful information we can all use to help us enjoy our car. If you still miss my point I can't help it.

Happy Holidays to all..........
Old 10-19-06, 07:30 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

My apologies, I thought you were referring to this thread in particular, and not the forum as a whole. I agree, there is a lot of useless chatter around here, but that's what makes it fun...

Javier
Old 10-19-06, 09:27 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

I agree, but after all, we are trying to help.

Quick Reply: Plastic Snaps around the engine bay