IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Matador Red Three-Stage Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 08:57 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok, I don't want to contribute to the thread-hijacking we've already done, but I cannot for the life of me understand why we are still talking about this... The ONLY reason that a black paint job can appear "deep" is BECAUSE of the clear-coat. A clear coat is specifically what adds the effect of "depth" to the finish. Also, we just had the very person who started this thread, who is IN THE PAINTING INDUSTRY, look the paint up BY THE PAINT CODE, and verify that it is indeed a two stage paint. What more do you want? If you want to believe that your car has a single stage 80's paint job, go right ahead... but at least come with more than "I think I read somewhere," and "my girlfriend who works in customer relations said..." I'm speaking from first-hand, industry knowledge (I used to work in the painting/finishing industry), as is uthatch. I'm not trying to offend anyone in any way, so please don't take this personally - just trying to get the facts straight.

Javier
Old 10-20-06, 09:10 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uthatch
I'm suprised by the amount of 3-stage colors on IS's. I was particularly surprised at 8U0 being a 3-stage. Usually auto companies shy away from 3-stage colors due to the extra steps and quaility control, but it seems like Lexus does not live in fear!
Why were you surprised 8U0 is 3-stage?
Old 10-20-06, 09:43 AM
uthatch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Why were you surprised 8U0 is 3-stage?
Just because, typically speaking, dark blues/grays/black are not 3-stage. However, I've never really inspected this color too closely in person, so I'm just going off the typical color.

I'm kind of curious about the color now, so I'm going to see if I can find and IS this color at one of the local dealers.
Old 10-20-06, 09:52 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uthatch
Just because, typically speaking, dark blues/grays/black are not 3-stage. However, I've never really inspected this color too closely in person, so I'm just going off the typical color.

I'm kind of curious about the color now, so I'm going to see if I can find and IS this color at one of the local dealers.
I saw it in person, on both a cloudy and sunny day... It really is a pearl paint job... Definitely looked 3-layer to me... Maybe even like 4... Remnicent of the purple paint job on the special edition Integra of the late 90s...

Anyway, the car is very dark blue, almost black when it's cloudy... When it's sunny, the car is dark blue, but is dark purple where the sun "refelects" off the paint... It's quite an interesting color IMHO...

And btw, it seemed to have less swirl marks than the black IS's on the lot... (Yes, I believe all dark colored cars come with swirl marks from the factory)
Old 10-20-06, 09:52 AM
uthatch
Driver

I'd like to see the posts and hear the reasons why some of you guys are thinking the black is not cleared. Sometimes there is just a confusion of the painting terms.

For example, someone might have said something to the effect of "Obsidian is just a basecoat". That could lead people to think it's just color, no clear. But it could also mean that it's just a basecoat then clearcoat. It's common for people in the paint industry to assume the clearcoat or that everyone understands that clearcoat is included in a paint related converstaion. This leads to sometimes people saying that a particular color is a "2-stage" when, if you count the clear, is actually a "3-stage". Or some might say a color is a "single stage", again assuming the clearcoat.

In our company we've tried to make it a habit to call colors that require a basecoat/midcoat or topcoat (again dependig on who you speak with)/clearcoat "3-stage". And colors that are colorcoat then clearcoat we call 2-stage or "basecoat/clearcoat".

It definitely gets confusing at times. But one thing is for certain, I would also be willing to lose a LOT of money on a wager of whether Obsidian, or and Lexus paint at all fr that matter, is clearcoated.
Old 10-20-06, 09:55 AM
uthatch
Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
I saw it in person, on both a cloudy and sunny day... It really is a pearl paint job... Definitely looked 3-layer to me... Maybe even like 4... Remnicent of the purple paint job on the special edition Integra of the late 90s...

Anyway, the car is very dark blue, almost black when it's cloudy... When it's sunny, the car is dark blue, but is dark purple where the sun "refelects" off the paint... It's quite an interesting color IMHO...

And btw, it seemed to have less swirl marks than the black IS's on the lot... (Yes, I believe all dark colored cars come with swirl marks from the factory)
I'm definitely going to look around for this color this weekend, as I'm pretty curious about it now.
Old 10-20-06, 09:56 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

uthatch: shhhhhh!!!! I was close to getting some members to bet me $100 each that black onyx has no clear coat!!!
Old 10-20-06, 10:05 AM
uthatch
Driver

Oops!!