IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone special ordered an IS and have Lexus deny it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 08:07 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone special ordered an IS and have Lexus deny it?

I'm really curious about this. A few dealers told me that just because you order an IS doesn't mean Lexus will honor the request. I called Lexus directly to verify this and they told me it's true, that they can deny the dealer's order.

So has this happened to anyone? I'm concerned because my dealer told me they may not approve my order and there is no way to know until next month if the vehicle went into production.
Old 10-19-06, 08:10 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may not alter their production schedule/process to make one car. What did you want on it? Keep in mind that the dealer will have to sell that car if you change your mind. Since you are not contracted to buy anything prior to delivery. That is the law. Regardless of what the dealer wants you to commit.
Old 10-19-06, 08:19 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered an IS250RWD with prem pack, nav, xenons with HW, PA, and port installed accessories ground effects kit and spoiler.
Old 10-19-06, 08:44 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

That does not sound too difficult to sell if you change your mind. Unlike no leather interior. Spending money should be fun, not dealing with run arounds. I wish you luck!
Old 10-20-06, 06:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they will try to discourage special orders and try to sell you whats on the lot, cars on the lot cost them money everyday unlike a special order, and i heard it hurts their allocation somehow
Old 10-20-06, 06:33 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to post something this weekend that will clear all of this up. It is a scan of the order sent to lexus. It will clearly show that it doesn't "cost" the dealer anything. All they have to do is look in their incoming inventory, find a car they are supposed to be getting and say "I don't want that car, instead, I want to special order a different car". So they are neither getting an extra car, nor are they losing a car.

Finally, Lexus will not "refuse" a special order if it is ordered properly by the dealership. The only reason Lexus would refuse it is if you order incompatible option packages such as "Sport AND Luxury package"...
Old 10-20-06, 10:46 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
I am going to post something this weekend that will clear all of this up. It is a scan of the order sent to lexus. It will clearly show that it doesn't "cost" the dealer anything. All they have to do is look in their incoming inventory, find a car they are supposed to be getting and say "I don't want that car, instead, I want to special order a different car". So they are neither getting an extra car, nor are they losing a car.

Finally, Lexus will not "refuse" a special order if it is ordered properly by the dealership. The only reason Lexus would refuse it is if you order incompatible option packages such as "Sport AND Luxury package"...
yeah i haven't heard of anything being denied.

but i do think because this special order or allocation process is not widely known (by neither the customer nor the saleperson), the "loss" the dealership incurs comes in the form of you didn't buy a car from them on that first day you walked into the dealership.
Old 10-20-06, 10:55 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The factory may not "deny" the order, but it is possible that it might just not ever get built. They take the special orders and try to work them into regular line production runs. If there is too big of delta (color, options, etc) in the special order from the regular production, then it gets deferred. And this could happen indefinitely. I had this happen on an RX with Performance Package I tried to order in 2005. So finally gave up.