IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mod Investments???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 07:34 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mod Investments???

Why do people say this mod and that mod is a good investment? If you have a show car that may actually win $$$, or you track it and win $$$, then I understand. Otherwise, it's not a $$$ investment because anything you put on depreciates along with the value of the car. I've made some mods to my car but I wouldn't call it an investment. Well...maybe an investment to myself because I feel better about my car. I realize some would call it an investment for street reputation. Just my own opinion.
Old 10-20-06, 07:37 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

True. In fact, mods typically LOWER the value of the car... Aftermarket parts in general lower the value of the car... This is true in most cases, with a few exceptions of course (e.g. - You find a buyer that wants the exact mods you have done)
Old 10-20-06, 08:29 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an investment even though the value drops. You're putting money into something that makes you feel good, isn't that of value to you?
Old 10-20-06, 08:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

A good rule to remember,

when you buy a car, don't buy it for the next guy who will own it.
Old 10-20-06, 08:33 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
True. In fact, mods typically LOWER the value of the car... Aftermarket parts in general lower the value of the car... This is true in most cases, with a few exceptions of course (e.g. - You find a buyer that wants the exact mods you have done)
Unless you own a MKIV Supra.. Then you get a lot of what you put in, back, when you sell the car. My hardest decision was between my IS and a single turbo Supra.. Im happy though =).. I got a warranty
Old 10-20-06, 09:36 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
It's an investment even though the value drops. You're putting money into something that makes you feel good, isn't that of value to you?
It's never a good investment when you put in money and get less out. Of course that is true in the finance world. The word investment does not mix well with something that depreciates in value. But like I said in my original post, "Well...maybe an investment to myself because I feel better about my car."
Old 10-20-06, 06:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by JB IS350X
Unless you own a MKIV Supra.. Then you get a lot of what you put in, back, when you sell the car. My hardest decision was between my IS and a single turbo Supra.. Im happy though =).. I got a warranty
The MkIV Supra is an anomaly, and you still won't get your mod money out of it. I am plenty happy the F&F movies have been a success because the movie made an overnight improvement in resale value, but as Lexmex said, I didn't buy the car for the next owner.

My Scion is a perfect example of you never get your money back. I offered to sell the car for KBB private party +$1k with 5Zigen Pro Racer GN+ 17 x 8.5 with Falken FK-451 245/40/17s ($1850), Tein SS-Ps ($1150), Hotchkis sways ($235), factory body kit ($998), Fidanza flywheel ($249 GB price), factory security upgrade ($400), plus a bunch of other stuff (red LEDs in the gauges and HVAC controls, OBX pedals, GSC Motorsports short shifter with TRD ****, aluminum door sills, etc.). I got ZERO calls. Not a single one. Everybody thinks the car was beat on and can't understand I needed a four door car. I ended up restoring the car to stock and selling the mods at a loss, but I'll sell the car now without any dumb questions about it.

Such is the used car world. Mods are not an investment. They're entertainment.
Old 10-20-06, 06:31 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im with lobux, i had a tc and had dumped tons of money into it, some advans springs motor work etc. and when i listed for sale i got zero calls. Keep in mind it was an 06 with 4500 miles on it and had about 4500 into it. Im sure the assumed it was some kid who beat the crap out of it and that there was something wrong with it. The day after i stripped it down and put it on the street corner i sold it. The only thing i left on it was the factory lip kit, i got $18200 for it which is not bad considering i owned it for 12 monthes to the day and never drove it.......

Un modded cars appeal more to the general public then a modded car.
In fact it was only 500 less then a brand new one with similar factory upgrades, A/T transmission and airbags.
I defintatly would never say it was an investment to mod my car, but i dont do it for financial gain, in fact i know im going to loose money going in but i do it for me, its my hobby.