IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 Nav Disc in 2007 ISx50 DOES NOT WORK!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 06:15 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ahh..... I got a 2006 IS350. Wife has a 2007 IS250.

See my point?

Just want to put the IS350 disc into the IS250.
Old 10-29-06, 07:22 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following are the end-user terms from my Infiniti disk documentation. I’m assuming the wording would be similar for Lexus:

Personal Use Only You agree to use this Data together with Nissan Automobile Products for the solely personal, non-commercial purposes for which you were licensed, and not for service bureau time sharing or other similar purposes. Accordingly, but subject to the restrictions set forth in the following paragraphs, you may copy this Data only as necessary for your personal use to (i) view it, and (ii) save it, provided that you do not remove any copyright notices that appear and do not modify the Data in any way. You agree not to otherwise reproduce, copy, decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer any portion of the Data, and may not transfer or distribute it in any form, for any purpose, except to the extent permitted by mandatory laws.

Restrictions Except where you have been specifically licensed to do so by Zenrin Co., Ltd, and without limiting the preceding paragraph, you may not (a) use this Data with any products, systems, or applications installed or otherwise connected to or in communication with vehicles, capable of vehicle navigation, positioning, dispatch, real time route guidance, fleet management or similar applications or (b) with or in communication with any positioning devices or any mobile or wireless-connected electronics or computer devices, including without limitation cellular phones,, palmtop or handheld computers, pagers and personal digital assistants or PDAs.
Now maybe you lawyers out there can better decipher this, but I believe the first paragraph says you may only copy the disk to save it as a backup for your own use; and that both paragraphs say you may not use the disk in any another vehicle. That means putting a 2006 disk, even an original, in a 2007 vehicle is illegal.
Old 10-29-06, 01:06 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
That means putting a 2006 disk, even an original, in a 2007 vehicle is illegal.
Incorrect. You can switch discs in either vehicle. If you own a 2006, and buy a 2007 upgrade disc, obviously you can use the newer disc. The same goes in reverse, there is nothing to prevent you from using the older disc in a newer vehicle.

Anyway, this thread is not a legal discussion. The mods will chime in if they need to, no need for us to speculate. If you want to discuss the legality of discs in different vehicles, I suggest you start a new thread. Thanks.
Old 10-29-06, 01:38 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

not having seen the lexus rules and agreements.....

upgrading a 2006 disc by putting inthe 2007 new upgrade disc is legal.

putting an original 2006 disc in a 2007 vehicle in order to circumvent the override function would be unauthorized in my opinion. it is tampering. trying to figure out how to make something work that wasn't intended. if you do this and the system says "incompatible" and you find a way to make it happen, that is unauthorized.

making a copy of the disc and then altering the files for any reason whatsoever is unauthorized. regardless of where you got the disc from, what car it is in or where it came from, or if you purchased the disc or not.

sorry to chime in on the legal aspects but i just wanted to make it clear that i still think its a grey area, no one will really care, and the mods will have to determine what is acceptable discussion on this board and what isn't.

the title of this thread is "2006 nav disc in 2007 does not work" which is just an observation but if there is discussion on how to figure out how to get it to work......
Old 10-29-06, 05:27 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
Incorrect. You can switch discs in either vehicle. If you own a 2006, and buy a 2007 upgrade disc, obviously you can use the newer disc. The same goes in reverse, there is nothing to prevent you from using the older disc in a newer vehicle.

Anyway, this thread is not a legal discussion. The mods will chime in if they need to, no need for us to speculate. If you want to discuss the legality of discs in different vehicles, I suggest you start a new thread. Thanks.
What's incorrect? I said you cannot put a 2006 disk in a 2007 vehicle, but not the other way around. Certainly you can put a purchased upgrade disk in your 2006 vehicle.

But like kensteele suggested, you’re advocating circumventing the law by using a 2006 disk in a 2007 car to achieve the nav-hack. If not illegal, it’s certainly shady.

And I’m sorry, as much as you would like me to to away, my opinion is within the scope of this thread so there's no need to start another one. Lord knows there's enough threads already in CL regarding hacking the nav system.
Old 10-29-06, 06:46 PM
istundra
Pole Position

What's incorrect? I said you cannot put a 2006 disk in a 2007 vehicle, but not the other way around. Certainly you can put a purchased upgrade disk in your 2006 vehicle.

But like kensteele suggested, you’re advocating circumventing the law by using a 2006 disk in a 2007 car to achieve the nav-hack. If not illegal, it’s certainly shady.

And I’m sorry, as much as you would like me to to away, my opinion is within the scope of this thread so there's no need to start another one. Lord knows there's enough threads already in CL regarding hacking the nav system.

LOL. Easy there my friend.

How could it be shady to downgrade your Nav Disc to acheive certain features? We are not pirating any discs. I am speaking of Originial Genuine 2006 Version 5 Nav Disc. Is it stealing? I certainly don't think so. Don't know how you can call some1 shady just becuase they have a need to downgrade the map disc.

Take it easy and calm down for a sec.
Old 10-30-06, 08:31 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Istundra,
You don’t have to be so patronizing with this “calm down” routine. I’m probably old enough to be your father.

At any rate, the practice is a bit shady because it’s trying to get around the whole reason Toyota plugged the loophole for 2007 in the first place, through a legally dubious switching of disks. Now if the hackers are eventually successful, then Toyota will only have to plug it up again in 2008. I view this sort of thing as a non-productive effort to thwart the manufacturer’s intent regarding auto safety. Yes, I know you think it’s perfectly safe, but the proof, either way, is still out there.
Old 10-30-06, 02:25 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Istundra,
You don’t have to be so patronizing with this “calm down” routine. I’m probably old enough to be your father.

At any rate, the practice is a bit shady because it’s trying to get around the whole reason Toyota plugged the loophole for 2007 in the first place, through a legally dubious switching of disks. Now if the hackers are eventually successful, then Toyota will only have to plug it up again in 2008. I view this sort of thing as a non-productive effort to thwart the manufacturer’s intent regarding auto safety. Yes, I know you think it’s perfectly safe, but the proof, either way, is still out there.
Mr. Magellan, Sir, I understand your view point about this safety issue and I am indeed grateful. I had no intent to patronize you. I just wanted to let you know that in an individual plans to implement the 06 Map Disc into the 07, it will most definately be a challenge. Thank you for your viewpoint but I do not feel your name calling is needed in this thread. Thank you for your opinion of this act.
Old 10-30-06, 10:45 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I personally think the nav override SHOULD be allowed, especially if done by a passenger, while driving. So hacking in to access the override, should be the last of Toyota's worries, IMO.
Old 10-30-06, 11:07 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Ahh... you do raise a good question.

If the override feature does indeed affect the well being of other individuals... Shouldn't Toyota Recall all vehicles with this override features?
Old 10-30-06, 11:27 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is usually not illegal to simply make a backup copy of software you paid for, provided it is for backup purposes only. However, modifying the software in ways it was not intended to be modified can and usually is illegal. When you buy software, you do not get the rights to that software, you're simply purchasing a licence to use the software.
Old 10-31-06, 12:16 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
putting an original 2006 disc in a 2007 vehicle in order to circumvent the override function would be unauthorized in my opinion. it is tampering. trying to figure out how to make something work that wasn't intended. if you do this and the system says "incompatible" and you find a way to make it happen, that is unauthorized.
circumventing and tampering are not necessarily the same as illegal. Many IS owners have used the override sequence, NAV hack or disabled stability control, all of which are not intended to be used by the general public. The same goes with making cars that can travel at more than twice of the speed limit. There are legitimate softwares such as nLite (recommended by many popular pc mags) that enable the users to modify MS Windows CD to create a custom Windows CD, without incurring the wrath of MS.
Old 10-31-06, 12:41 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

yeah i shouldn't say illegal, it's not like you would get arrested for it. i was aware and in my last post, i always used "unauthorized" instead of "illegal."
Old 10-31-06, 01:12 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Hard to believe that an '07 owner would shell out $250 to purchase an outdated '06 disk, assuming that they could even find one for sale.
Old 10-31-06, 01:18 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Hard to believe that an '07 owner would shell out $250 to purchase an outdated '06 disk, assuming that they could even find one for sale.
I totally agree... I for one am not going to do that... I think the override sequence on the 2006 is a PITA... But some want it badly...

Personally, I will install a simple switch to bypass the nav override lockout... Works instantly without the need for any "override sequence" to be keyed in each time the car is started...

Quick Reply: 2006 Nav Disc in 2007 ISx50 DOES NOT WORK!