IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sealer Wax Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06 | 10:24 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Default Sealer Wax Wash?

I tried posting this on the autocare section but no response.

For the past year I've been doing my own car wash, but for the next month I would like to try a 30 day membership at a local car wash, it is unlimited wash, heck you can go there every 6 hours if you want. They drive your car through the machine but there are no brushes involved. The $46 package includes a regular wash + a sealer wax, my questions are, does the sealer wax matter at all? What does it do? Is it a bad thing to wash your car every 2-3 days? I drive a tungsten pearl. I am getting quite lazy washing my car, and I have gotten 4 frostbites from washing my car when I was living in North Cali.

The packages that I am interested are:
$45.99 Regular Wash + Sealer Wax
$49.99 Regular Wash + Tire Dressing
Old 10-21-06 | 10:30 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

i had a deal like that on my last car, it was convient especially during the winter monthes, but its not a good substitute for a had wash done personally.
As long as its hand wash and your not next in line behind a dirty car i would say go for it, but look at the other cars going through there, if you see vettes and rolls royces then they have a good reputation, but if you see old beaters going through there, i would say no. Also ask them what products do they use.
Old 10-21-06 | 10:39 AM
oldcajun
Racer

My objection to the spray-on wax at the car wash is that it causes the windshield wipers to streak. The windshield gets the same wax as the car and if there is enough to make a difference on the painted areas, the windshield will be a mess. A really good wash shop will clean the windshield to prevent this from happening, but these are few and far between.
Steve
Old 10-21-06 | 10:47 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by oldcajun
My objection to the spray-on wax at the car wash is that it causes the windshield wipers to streak. The windshield gets the same wax as the car and if there is enough to make a difference on the painted areas, the windshield will be a mess. A really good wash shop will clean the windshield to prevent this from happening, but these are few and far between.
Steve
I actually tried it once with the sealer wax. The steps are... 1. Water 2. The shampoos 3. The guys wiping the cars with their mitts 4. Rinse with sealer wax 5. Blow dry 6. Wipe dry [they use a spray to wipe all the windows]

my question is, should i go with the package that includes the sealer wax (if its important) or tire shine?
Old 10-21-06 | 11:49 AM
JoesIS250
Driver

id say go for the tire dressings if you're the type who like sthem shiney the so called "sealer wax" isnt actually going to give you the kind of wax protection your car really needs. i may be "old school" but the only wax there is ..is the kind that uses lots of elbow grease or something like that ...you know what i mean

ps having the tungesten pearl is a great color too ....cant really notice the dirt as much but being able to have that privlege of washing every 6 hours is good to have.
Old 10-21-06 | 03:19 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I wouldn't choose the sealer or tire dressing unless I liked the product they used and the results. Tire dressing for example, some people like the natural look while others prefer the "bling bling" shiny look. Certain tire dressings after the initial application can have a sling effect and get on your car's paint. Might want to check out their work on another car first.

I personally can't take my car to a car wash since I know your average minimum wage worker at a car wash will reuse that towel that's been dropped on the ground. However, if you can live with some swirls and microscratches, go for it.