omgomgomgomg

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-06, 09:54 PM
Jatt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default omgomgomgomg

Guys,

My dealership told me they put some sorta paint protector on it that would protect the car from swirl marks and crap from brushes used in car washes n crap, TURNS OUT, that the car is just literred with scratches, I dont even know what kinda paint protector they got on it, seems like theres practically no difference if I didn't have it on.

Heres the thing, the dealership also said they'd re-coat it if it looked like it was 'dulling'? Should I just re-coat every few months?

Weird.

EDIT: I paid something like 650$ for this 'protector'

Last edited by Jatt; 10-22-06 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-22-06, 10:02 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jatt
Guys,

My dealership told me they put some sorta paint protector on it that would protect the car from swirl marks and crap from brushes used in car washes n crap, TURNS OUT, that the car is just literred with scratches, I dont even know what kinda paint protector they got on it, seems like theres practically no difference if I didn't have it on.

Heres the thing, the dealership also said they'd re-coat it if it looked like it was 'dulling'? Should I just re-coat every few months?

Weird.

Ha, sounds like the "under carriage coating protectant" upgrade. I'd take full advantage of re-coats if they are going to offer them for no charge, after all they probably took advantage of you when you bought it. For $650 you could have gotten a clear bra
Old 10-22-06, 10:06 PM
Jatt
Driver

Hi Silver,

I got the clear bra 3M tape bit thrown in for free, but your right, thats the only thing I can think of doing, and he said I could bring it in whenever and they can do it for me.
Old 10-22-06, 10:12 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

is it that teflon paint protection thingy where they say you never have to wax it???
Old 10-22-06, 10:25 PM
Jatt
Driver

Thats EXACTLY what he said, I dunno about the teflon paint to be exact, but these were the words "You never have to wax it, just wash, infact we dont even recommend you wax it, and if you notice the paint to be dulling, bring it back and we'll re-coat it FREE OF CHARGE"

Last edited by Jatt; 10-22-06 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-22-06, 11:28 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the scion dealer sold my mom that coating for her car, its a questionable product if that...........
Old 10-23-06, 04:10 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jatt
Guys,

Weird.

$650?!?!? You got hosed! As a general rule, those dealer-installed paint protector packages are worth about $35 in materials and a whole heap of profit for the dealership.
Old 10-23-06, 05:08 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if the dealer is going to reapply the product for free whenever you think it needs it I'd have them do it every month Heck, just because they pulled a fast one on you I'd have them to it every week
Old 10-23-06, 06:53 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What's done is done ..... but most of these dealer installed gimmicks are just a way to pad the bottom line. Paint protection, VIN etching, fabric protection and other packages are way overpriced. I'd ask them what the treatment really is .... you'll probably be suprised at how low tech it probably is. Make them redo it if it's in the price.
Old 10-23-06, 08:20 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kenjimaru
i wonder if we can have a class action lawsuit about this...
Class action against what... stupidity, gullibility?
Old 10-23-06, 08:46 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a big BS paint protection you have got~!! Go back and complaint!
Old 10-23-06, 08:52 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Class action against what... stupidity, gullibility?
To the guy who asked about a class action law suit? Are you retarded? What would you possibly sue over?

I also wouldnt be so quick to call this guy stupid or all that gullible. Although you or I may have not opted for the purchase of that "add on". If you really think about it, all he did was pay in advance for exterior details, waxings and a clear bra. If he never has to wax is car again and they re-do at no charge AND he got a clear bra for that price it's really not a bad deal. Definitely not so bad that you should call him stupid.
Wax is what $60-$100? Twice yearly, say he has the car for 3 years, that could cost you $600 right there. Then add at least $500 for the clear bra depending on your area as much as $800. Plus when you get it redone at the dealer you get a Lexus loaner.

At first it sounded like a rip off to me too but after hearing the facts, I dont think you should be that upset about anything. All the same, work it for what you can.
Old 10-23-06, 09:49 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You just paid $650 for the dealer to (poorly) apply synthetic sealant. If it's the Teflon variety, you particularly got ripped, as Teflon is proven NOT to bond to paint unless you bake it. I would hazard a guess that the dealer did not bake your car in an oven after applying sealant.

If the car has holograms/swirls/etc. on it, it needs to be polished. Don't let the dealer polish your vehicle. They've already demonstrated that they can't apply a simple sealant without marring your paint, so you don't want them trying to correct it either. My course of action would be:

1. Call dealer, complain, ask for partial refund for crappy sealant that they probably apply to all cars as prep anyway. Insist that they reimburse you for repairing their hack job on your paint.

2. Call reputable auto detailer, and have the car washed, clayed, polished as needed, and sealed/waxed. Forward bill to dealer.

Also, just for your reference, the best synthetic sealants on the planet only last 6 months to a year, and that is REALLY stretching it. The only reason they claim 5-years, etc. on these sealants is because they reapply annually. I can guarantee that all protection is gone prior to that point in time, unless you keep your car in the garage and never drive it.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-06, 11:27 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is funny how easily people get suckered. You just bought $650 worth of Snake Oil. The only way to keep your car swirl free is to have a detailer who knows what he is doing, or do it yourself, which in most cases is not an option since it is a major pain in the *** to wash, wax, and polish a car.
Old 10-23-06, 12:00 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default On the other hand...

You can put a positive spin on this transaction and look at it as making a great deal in purchasing a clear bra (I paid $1K for mine) and a lifetime wax/detailing service for your car.

Based on the sales pitch you were made and the present condition of the paint finish, you know what to do.

Quick Reply: omgomgomgomg