IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Standard Audio vs Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 10:45 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't listen to a non-ML IS yet but my sister just bought a non-ML GS350 and the difference is huge. The sound quality is like radio audio to CD audio. The surround sound processor on the ML amp is awesome, it makes the audio sounds very clear. I think the ML system worth every pennies.
Old 10-23-06, 12:25 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think for the price you pay, ML is a great setup. If you don't mind spending more money and not having a stock looking setup, then I would go the aftermarket route. For $900 it is pretty hard to throw in a good HU, Speakers, Amp, + install. I'm more of an audiophile so I would choose the aftermarket route but it's a lot simplier getting the ML and not having to worry about getting an aftermarket system. Lastly, if you don't know a good installer YMMV on the install process. They can break a clip or 2, not put in all clips back in, scratch/damage your interior, etc.. HTH.
Old 10-23-06, 12:28 PM
jasonviper
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
I think for the price you pay, ML is a great setup. If you don't mind spending more money and not having a stock looking setup, then I would go the aftermarket route. For $900 it is pretty hard to throw in a good HU, Speakers, Amp, + install. I'm more of an audiophile so I would choose the aftermarket route but it's a lot simplier getting the ML and not having to worry about getting an aftermarket system. Lastly, if you don't know a good installer YMMV on the install process. They can break a clip or 2, not put in all clips back in, scratch/damage your interior, etc.. HTH.
Can you get the ML system with out NAV?
And how much is the XM option on the IS 250?
Old 10-23-06, 12:39 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

The way I have seen the majority of the packages is..

ML comes with NAV and the Luxory package. I was told by my dealer that is the only way to get ML. Maybe it is lies.. maybe not!
Old 10-23-06, 12:45 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
The way I have seen the majority of the packages is..

ML comes with NAV and the Luxory package. I was told by my dealer that is the only way to get ML. Maybe it is lies.. maybe not!
Options packaging varies by geographic region. What your dealer told you, if true, applies only to your region.

The best way to find out the option combinations for your area is to go to the Lexus website, enter your zipcode, and choose the "Build it" option for the car you are considering. The "Build it" tool only allows you to build option combos that are available in dealer allocations (e.g. the ones you find on the dealer's lot). Other combos are possible, but would require a special order.

I know that at least in 2006, ML was available without Nav. I'm sure that in most (if not all) regions, it would require a special order.
Old 10-23-06, 12:47 PM
chicolex
Rookie

guys i have a quick question. I have ML on my car but i dont think i have satelitte radio Installed. I didn't pay attention to satellite radio when i bought the car since all i care was only the ML system but my interest gradually increased for satellite radio. How much is to add this satellite radio

thanks
Old 10-23-06, 12:48 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Well.. when it came equipped on the car I think it was like 480.....

But it will probably be more after market.
Old 10-23-06, 12:52 PM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chicolex
guys i have a quick question. I have ML on my car but i dont think i have satelitte radio Installed. I didn't pay attention to satellite radio when i bought the car since all i care was only the ML system but my interest gradually increased for satellite radio. How much is to add this satellite radio

thanks

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=99
Old 10-23-06, 12:52 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chicolex

thanks
$300 for XM, if you buy the module from CL sponsor Sewell Lexus and install it yourself. Prices vary considerably on dealer installs; if that is the way you want to go, why not call your dealer and ask for a price?
Old 10-23-06, 01:24 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

None of these premium sound system is worth that much extra money. I can't even tell the difference........
Old 10-23-06, 01:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
None of these premium sound system is worth that much extra money. I can't even tell the difference........
If you can't tell the difference, definately DON't get it.

However, we have a lot of music afficionados that know the difference in sound quality, whether it's coming from AM, FM, XM, CD, MP3, or DVD sources. Part of being a luxury brand is that you offer something better for a "little extra." Just because it's expensive and different (and better), it may not be necessary (or cost effective) to get it...
Old 10-23-06, 03:54 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Part of being a luxury brand is that you offer something better for a "little extra."
Unless you live in the northeast, where for model year 2006, Lexus chose not to offer ML in ANY dealer allocations. Still trying to guess whether Lexus thought we were tin-eared or just cheap.

(I think they've finally started offering it in '07)
Old 10-23-06, 04:59 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon

(I think they've finally started offering it in '07)

Not according to me dealer. Would love to listen to both before making a decision...
Old 10-23-06, 05:24 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

I am driving a '91 honda accord, so my ears are not used to listening a sourround sound like the ML, except at home ofcourse. I special ordered my is350 about a month ago and I did not get the ML option due to cost issues....

Do you guys think that I will be satisfied going from a '91 accord to is350 standard audio system??
Old 10-23-06, 06:08 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pimp350
I am driving a '91 honda accord, so my ears are not used to listening a sourround sound like the ML, except at home ofcourse. I special ordered my is350 about a month ago and I did not get the ML option due to cost issues....

Do you guys think that I will be satisfied going from a '91 accord to is350 standard audio system??
Stock 91 accound..oh hell yes you will be happy even without ML.

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Are you serious? I dont think my ears are that great at defining the "best" sounds but I can tell a serious difference. I guess you do have to turn it up past 10 to notice though. I like my music loud. I went from an $8k custom stereo in my last car and I dont miss it all that much because I have ML sound. I think it's great and good deal for what you get.