IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Standard Audio vs Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 06:25 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard Audio vs Mark Levinson

Can anyone tell me first hand the difference in quality between the stock and the ML sound systems. I doubt that I will ever sit and watch a DVD in my car (wouldn't do it while driving either), so unless there are other features provided by the ML system it seems to come down to sound quality.

Basically I want to know if it is worth waiting 4 months for (since I'd have to order a car to get the ML system)....
Old 10-23-06, 06:46 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have listened to high quality audio in your home, then I think you will notice the difference in the ML system. With good source material the sound is extraordinary with solid bass and without the boominess you normally hear from an average car system. And if you ever try a DVD-Audio disc the surround sound will blow you away. Try the 'Pictures at an Exhibition' DVD-A and the cost will be worth it. To me it's worth the wait. When integrated with the Nav system it makes it very easy to work with the audio system. But since I have not actually listened to a non-ML system I can't state how close the systems are. But isn't a Lexus worth the extra cost for a top grade system? I think the cost of the ML system is worth it. I doubt you could spend $1,000 and get better sound.

There is a thread here that goes into a lot of detail on the two systems. Do a search and all will be revealed.
Old 10-23-06, 06:55 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
If you have listened to high quality audio in your home, then I think you will notice the difference in the ML system. With good source material the sound is extraordinary with solid bass and without the boominess you normally hear from an average car system. And if you ever try a DVD-Audio disc the surround sound will blow you away. Try the 'Pictures at an Exhibition' DVD-A and the cost will be worth it. To me it's worth the wait. When integrated with the Nav system it makes it very easy to work with the audio system. But since I have not actually listened to a non-ML system I can't state how close the systems are. But isn't a Lexus worth the extra cost for a top grade system? I think the cost of the ML system is worth it. I doubt you could spend $1,000 and get better sound.

There is a thread here that goes into a lot of detail on the two systems. Do a search and all will be revealed.

I have heard both and really the MAJOR difference is the DVD player. Playing MP3s and WMAs in both really didn't have much difference. I think the ML might have abit more wattage and maybe an additional speaker (don't kill me on this!).. But I didn't find it that big of a change. It's not like going from Kenwood to Bose or Infinity to Klipsch.
Old 10-23-06, 06:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by homer4598
Basically I want to know if it is worth waiting 4 months for (since I'd have to order a car to get the ML system)....
IMO, definately worth every penny, and worth the 4 month wait.

In simple terms, the quality of sound is much more refined and crisp with the ML System. There is a clear definate difference in sound quality between the two, and if you are a music afficianado, I highly suggest you consider it.
Old 10-23-06, 07:06 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I've never heard the ML system in the IS, as they aren't sold (except by special order) in the Northeast, but the difference between the stock system and the ML system in the GS430 I drove was night-and-day. I regret not ordering (or finding in a different state) an IS equipped with ML.
Old 10-23-06, 07:33 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

I should have stated that my source for music will usually be radio (FM or XM) and MP3s. I doubt that I'd ever buy a DVD-A.
Old 10-23-06, 07:48 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by homer4598
I should have stated that my source for music will usually be radio (FM or XM) and MP3s. I doubt that I'd ever buy a DVD-A.
Most XM souce is excellent quality so I still think you'd enjoy the ML system with XM. I listen to many stations on XM and when the original source is good quality the system really shines with amazing clarity and solid bass. I was quite surprised on how good the XM music is .... it's as good as a CD in most cases.
Old 10-23-06, 09:11 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Most XM souce is excellent quality so I still think you'd enjoy the ML system with XM. I listen to many stations on XM and when the original source is good quality the system really shines with amazing clarity and solid bass. I was quite surprised on how good the XM music is .... it's as good as a CD in most cases.
I'll agree with that statement. The XM sound quality was much better than I had anticipated.
I think the ML system can be the added difference.
Old 10-23-06, 09:25 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

yup the mark levinson system is comparable to a mid level after market system...if not better. The sound is crisp and clear, there is really no need to replace any of the speakers. The only thing you would even consider upgrading is the sub. Which is still pretty nice for a small sedan.
Old 10-23-06, 09:26 AM
ItalianLex
Lead Lap

if you get the ML do you have to get the XM package as well?
Old 10-23-06, 09:27 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ItalianLex
No.
You can chose Sirus, XM, or NONE.
Old 10-23-06, 09:28 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ItalianLex
Nope......
Old 10-23-06, 09:35 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

no...but it does cost a hefty penny.
Old 10-23-06, 09:46 AM
ItalianLex
Lead Lap

I usually listen to more Cd's than anything but I would want the ML package so that's why I asked....

Nova what do you mean?
Originally Posted by NovaIS350
no...but it does cost a hefty penny.
Old 10-23-06, 10:27 AM
jasonviper
Pole Position

how much does it cost to get XM on a IS 250? If I remember it's like $4XX on toyotas.

Quick Reply: Standard Audio vs Mark Levinson