IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Throttle Stuck - Near DEATH experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 04:43 PM
The Chad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the beforementioned comments about the acceleartor pedal being stuck down. The only reason why it physically would be stuck down would be if something was pressing on it.

Engage the cruise on your car, the pedal doesn't move when it adjusts the speed. Now go to a cable driven car and try the same thing. The pedal moves.
Old 10-23-06, 04:59 PM
JiggaWATT
Rookie

Default LOL operator error!@

thanks for the support and empathy. Like I said, eventually the car did come to a stop, even when i was going 20 MPH eventually on the shoulder, my car was having a hard time coming to a complete stop. And no I was not mistakingly stepping on the accelerator. And to the person who says that I am not credible because this is my 2nd post.... Thanks for the support jerk. If you don't have anything productive to add to this post, please keep your remarks out. There are obviously other cases of this whether you choose to believe it or not. I'm looking for constructive feedback because unlike some of you, I feel this is an important issue that needs to be discussed.
Old 10-23-06, 05:04 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by al503
Even with the accelerator floored, you should be able to slow and stop the car down with the brakes. There aren't many cars that can overpower the front brakes.

Since it seems like you tried the brakes and didn't slow down, you must have had
1. a physically stuck accelerator coupled with brake failure at the same time, or
2. you were pressing the accelerator pedal down instead of the brakes.
I think your wrong, try going 60 mph floor the gas pedal and brake at the same time, You will NOT stop the car in any safe distance. It is not the same as flooring bolth from a dead stop. Check out the other threads, something seem's a little too strange here. It could be human error, but I"m just not convinced it is, till more time passes. I would have to see if more people have this problem.

Last edited by BLAZE; 10-23-06 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 05:09 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JiggaWATT
And to the person who says that I am not credible because this is my 2nd post.... Thanks for the support jerk. If you don't have anything productive to add to this post, please keep your remarks out. There are obviously other cases of this whether you choose to believe it or not. I'm looking for constructive feedback because unlike some of you, I feel this is an important issue that needs to be discussed.
Hey you come into a forum and start with a post like this!? Go have your car looked at and I'm sure you will find nothing wrong with it. I've seen more than once someone coming into a forum just to bring crap talk about a car manufacturer. If I'm wrong and this is really an issue then I'm sorry and glad you got the car to a stop without hurting anyone.

Anyone every try turning their car off while driving at a slow speed?
Old 10-23-06, 05:21 PM
JiggaWATT
Rookie

I come to this forum almost daily to see updates about the HKS exhaust etc. Just because this is my first post, you give me crap? I write about this today because this just happened to me. I had nothing else to add until today. I will keep those that are interested posted. I am bringing the car in tomorrow morning.
Old 10-23-06, 05:28 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Hee... Directed over here blaise from the ES forum, there is no way this can occur without being considered "driver error." I agree a floormat will cause a considerable amount of alarm to those (most) of us who are not prepared for such an occurrance. The fact remains, you the driver have a multitude of options available to stop a runaway car... First and foremost are the brakes, the ignition being next and then slip the trans in nuetral (that's why there isn't a detent).

The brakes WILL overpower the car... But not for long, that's why you have the other options. It probably was a frightening experience and I have no intent to minimize it.

If this did in fact occur without input on the part of the driver... There's some seriously effed up control circuits in your IS, because application of the brakes alone should have killed/initiate multiple circuits among ABS/VSC/Cruise etc. and some like ABS/VSC are interconnected with the throttle.

What's interesting to me, being a pilot, a runaway engine is the last thing I'm worried about, usually I'm concerned (100% of the time) with an engine that quits. I think the majority of drivers become complacent on terra firma because they have a false sense they can always stop (unlike flying), we should always be aware of not only other drivers and potential accidents, but unexpected mechanical events as well... Blown tires, burning oil, burning coolant, electrical fire, etc. etc.

What's YOUR backup plan?

1. Control
2. Acknowledge
3. Confirm

The most important being #1 control... Pilots live by the following, numero uno is all about self preservation.

1. Aviate
2. Navigate
3. Communicate

If at the very least with these runaway car threads, there's a lesson learned to those who haven't experienced it.

I had a "floormat experience..." You've never seen someone so flaming pissed as a guy who while waiting for his car at the car wash, suddenly discovers the attendant dropped the floormat on the foot-feed and hasn't a clue anything is wrong.... DUH! can't you hear the engine pegging the rev limiter?
Old 10-23-06, 05:29 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

You still didn't answer my question about what kind of floor mat you have. I know it sounds too simple, but it really is the most common reason for what you experienced.
Old 10-23-06, 05:37 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
You still didn't answer my question about what kind of floor mat you have. I know it sounds too simple, but it really is the most common reason for what you experienced.
Apparently he has all weather floor mats.

I will definately let you know what I find out from the dealership. I have the rubber all weather mats. I dug around and here is what I have found related to our cars and this potential hazard.

I will continue looking this up while I am at work, but there does appear to be a trend of some sort.

Thanks for the kind words. Im going to the dealership tomorrow and will keep you all posted.
Old 10-23-06, 05:41 PM
JiggaWATT
Rookie

Default I mentioned already...

I have the All weather rubber floor mats. They were given to me free. I really hope that they are the floormats as I love my car. The thing that concerns me the most is this...

As I was switching lanes (right before this happened), I did not even come close to flooring my engine.... But when the throttle ran away from me, the pedal was completely depressed. Almost like it went down an inch or so without any applied force. I just gave it a little gas to change lanes and then bam, WOT. I usually drive my car pretty lightly rarely even getting close to 3k rpm. Hits 3k from 1st to 2nd, rarely on the highway.
Old 10-23-06, 05:42 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

first thing you shouldve done was put your hazards on...then shift into neutral.
Old 10-23-06, 05:44 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you are ok. i realize this might have been very scarey for you and sometimes people panic which makes it worse.

as for the gas pedal on the floor, you are lucky. when my 350 is on the floor, the ground speed is measured in three digits. if my car accelerated to 90mph on the freeway, i wouldn't have a problem...unless it was stop and go traffic.

so anyway, you are a lexus owner. you know about the free lexus courtesy programs that are enjoyed by all lexus owners. don't wait for the dealership to offer you a free car and a few ride. invoke your priviledges. if your car is disabled, they will tow it to the dealership, no?
Old 10-23-06, 05:44 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onsknht
Hee... Directed over here blaise from the ES forum, there is no way this can occur without being considered "driver error." I agree a floormat will cause a considerable amount of alarm to those (most) of us who are not prepared for such an occurrance. The fact remains, you the driver have a multitude of options available to stop a runaway car... First and foremost are the brakes, the ignition being next and then slip the trans in nuetral (that's why there isn't a detent).

The brakes WILL overpower the car... But not for long, that's why you have the other options. It probably was a frightening experience and I have no intent to minimize it.

If this did in fact occur without input on the part of the driver... There's some seriously effed up control circuits in your IS, because application of the brakes alone should have killed/initiate multiple circuits among ABS/VSC/Cruise etc. and some like ABS/VSC are interconnected with the throttle.

What's interesting to me, being a pilot, a runaway engine is the last thing I'm worried about, usually I'm concerned (100% of the time) with an engine that quits. I think the majority of drivers become complacent on terra firma because they have a false sense they can always stop (unlike flying), we should always be aware of not only other drivers and potential accidents, but unexpected mechanical events as well... Blown tires, burning oil, burning coolant, electrical fire, etc. etc.

What's YOUR backup plan?

1. Control
2. Acknowledge
3. Confirm

The most important being #1 control... Pilots live by the following, numero uno is all about self preservation.

1. Aviate
2. Navigate
3. Communicate

If at the very least with these runaway car threads, there's a lesson learned to those who haven't experienced it.

I had a "floormat experience..." You've never seen someone so flaming pissed as a guy who while waiting for his car at the car wash, suddenly discovers the attendant dropped the floormat on the foot-feed and hasn't a clue anything is wrong.... DUH! can't you hear the engine pegging the rev limiter?
I agree with you when you say a runaway car could be stopped, most likely human error (floormat, etc.), however I don't agree with "there is no way this can occur". Again, It didn't happen to me, but It does seem a little to common with the newer lexus. I've been on this site a long time (way before my join date) and I don't recall this issue with any older models. I could be wrong, but I'm just being openminded here. I would like to hear more input from other members. Thank god nobody was hurt in any of these cases.

Last edited by BLAZE; 10-23-06 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 05:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Hey you come into a forum and start with a post like this!? Go have your car looked at and I'm sure you will find nothing wrong with it. I've seen more than once someone coming into a forum just to bring crap talk about a car manufacturer. If I'm wrong and this is really an issue then I'm sorry and glad you got the car to a stop without hurting anyone.

Anyone every try turning their car off while driving at a slow speed?
While it is true that many people come to other forums to start crap, I really don't think there was any evidence of that in his post. And while I also agree that it is likely a floormat issue, I personally don't see anything wrong with his first post. He was not talking crap and from what I can tell, he genuinelly feels there is a problem with the car and was sharing information, and possibly even hoping to get some information too. To imply otherwise I think was a bit premature on your part and I don't blame him for taking offense. If he had come on here and said what he said, then followed it up with something like "is this typical Lexus quality?" or "i've never had this problem on any of my other cars" or anythng to that effect, that would have been different.
Old 10-23-06, 05:52 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The fact you have winter mats definitely raises a red flag for me. I'm sure the "black box" will likely reveal no electro-mechanical glitches.
Old 10-23-06, 05:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I have the All weather rubber floor mats. They were given to me free. I really hope that they are the floormats as I love my car. The thing that concerns me the most is this...

As I was switching lanes (right before this happened), I did not even come close to flooring my engine.... But when the throttle ran away from me, the pedal was completely depressed. Almost like it went down an inch or so without any applied force. I just gave it a little gas to change lanes and then bam, WOT. I usually drive my car pretty lightly rarely even getting close to 3k rpm. Hits 3k from 1st to 2nd, rarely on the highway.
are they OEM/Lexus or aftermarket mats?

I had problem like this once in Corolla TS when car wash guys didnt put my mats properly in the car... however my experience wasnt that dramatic - i just pulled it back with my hand...

Quick Reply: IS350 Throttle Stuck - Near DEATH experience