Jatt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man is there an update on this lol whatever happened to JIGGA
Old 10-23-06, 08:25 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I understand what you're saying, I don't agree with it though. The proof is in the pudding so to speak. The OP has apparently went through this ordeal and sure enough, stopping the car wasn't quite as easy as it would have been otherwise.
Old 10-23-06, 09:11 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have your all weather mats on top of the carpeted ones? If ANYONE does that could create this problem. The mats specificly say not to double up so make sure guys, only use one set at a time.
Old 10-23-06, 09:12 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I understand what you're saying, I don't agree with it though. The proof is in the pudding so to speak. The OP has apparently went through this ordeal and sure enough, stopping the car wasn't quite as easy as it would have been otherwise.
We also don't know exactly what happened either. Was he pressing the 'right' pedal? Was it the floor mat? Was it Colonel Mustard in the library? Regardless, I stand by what I posted. Simple weight transfer keeps the rear wheels from doing much of anything under full braking (if he was indeed pressing the right pedal.)

In addition, VDIM probably would kick in and cut power also as the rears would try to be spinning faster than the fronts.
Old 10-23-06, 09:27 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well the rears would not be spinning faster than the fronts at all unless you locked up the front wheels which wouldn't happen with ABS anyway, so both wheels are spinning at the same rate, the difference being is that with the pedal stuck (for whatever reason, that is irrelivant) the brakes are having to fight off an additional couple hundred HP.

Again, we do not need to know exactly what happened or why. We can easily conclude that braking while the car is moving and while the engine is under throttle will increase stopping distances simply by what we do know. We know he was hitting the correct pedal becuase the car did eventually stop, it just wasn't the easiest thing to do and he also stated that even after he got the car to stop it still wanted to lunge forward, so we can rule out the incorrect pedal theory. We also know the car was under throttle and we know it was significanlty more difficult to come to a complete stop.

I'm not disagreeing that we dont know the full story, we obviously don't, but we know enough. I've had 2 passangers in my car before and getting it to stop was not even close to being a problem as it was in this case. The only thing here that is pure speculation is trying to guess how vdim will react and saying that this scenario is equalivent to having two passengers in a normal stopping situation.

Last edited by Ramon; 10-23-06 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 09:35 PM
HaveBlue
Driver

The car will decel from 60-0 twice as fast as it will go 0-60. The brakes will over power the motor but it won't be pretty.

Turning off the motor while moving is a dangrous undertaking. You will get one power assisted brake movement before the accumulator is empty. You will run the risk of engauging the steering lock and turning will be problematic after that. Don't drive a car that was stolen and has a broken ignition lock for that reason either.

I do a lot of 4wheeling and reach vehicle angles of 45 degrees. It's not unusual for things to come rolling out from under the seats. I've seen plenty of accidents from things getting lodged under the brake pedal.

Just things to keep in mind. The fly-by-wire pedal seems softer than a cabled pedal which makes it easier to jam.
Old 10-23-06, 10:07 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Again, we do not need to know exactly what happened or why. We can easily conclude that braking while the car is moving and while the engine is under throttle will increase stopping distances simply by what we do know.
Agree.
We know he was hitting the correct pedal becuase the car did eventually stop
I'm not so sure. Here's what he wrote: *"I had the break completely depressed and my car was still accelerating. When I would let go of the break, the car would take off. I battle the accelerator with the break for a little bit and I am able to slow the car down considerably."*

If he had the brakes completely depressed, there is no way the car would continue to accelerate. It sounds like he was also going back and forth between the pedals. I agree that it sounds like he eventually found the right pedal.

I'm not disagreeing that we dont know the full story, we obviously don't, but we know enough. I've had 2 passangers in my car before and getting it to stop was not even close to being a problem as it was in this case. The only thing here that is pure speculation is trying to guess how vdim will react and saying that this scenario is equalivent to having two passengers in a normal stopping situation.
It's a rough guesstimate. Again, the vast majority of the car and passenger's weight will be transferred to the front wheels. With very little of the cars weight on the rears, their ability to do anything is greatly hampered. Simple matter of physics.
Old 10-23-06, 10:21 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Yes, the weight bias will definatly favor the front brakes over the rears, no argument with me on that point except that I don't think the rear of the car ends up being so light as to be virtually insignificant. At any rate, I respect your opinion and I agree with you to an extent. Let's just hope this is indeed something simple like a floormat issue and not some defect.
Old 10-23-06, 10:29 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's scary... but I'm a little confused. Do you have a 250 AWD or a 350? Because you said this was a known problem for 250 AWDs, but the topic title says 350.

Anyways, someone probably already mentioned it, but if you read the manual, there is an emergency shut down capability when you're driving. You can just press and hold the Start button for three seconds, and the engine will shut down. That probably would have helped you out a lot.

... Not that that makes the problem ok, but you should keep that in mind for if/when you have to drive the car before the problem is taken care of.
Old 10-23-06, 11:09 PM
rooster
Driver School Candidate

i heard that some of cars have will know that the gas padel is stuck and u want to stop thus cutting the Throttle, anyone know if that's true?
Old 10-23-06, 11:16 PM
fly2low
Driver

First, I am glad that you are fine!

The accelarator gets stuck due to floor mat, especially with winter/rubber mat, is quite common. So, it is a good idea to check the placement frequently.

If it ever happens to anybody, the best way is to put the shifter to neutral ASAP. The wrost you can get is probably a blown head gasket that you can fight later for warranty.

Of course, the usual legal disclaimer. I never condone you to do such thing and hold no responsibilities for your action. Use your judgment in the case of emergency.
Old 10-24-06, 03:39 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jiggawat...

I responded to blaise on the ES350 forum, similar post to your post.

blaise,

I found the NHTSA.dot Federal complaint filed back in May of this year and it doesn't sound like your friend as this person did not have an accident it seems but Lexus or dealer could not find it in computer for this one either.
I hope the dealer from this incident below filed a report with Lexus back in May so they are at least aware of it as a claimed event.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...in/results.cfm
Make : LEXUS Model : ES350 Year : 2007
Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION *
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10156602 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: May 2, 2006
VIN : Not Available *
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Complaints Summary Make: LEXUS
Model: ES350

Year: 2007
Complaint Number: 10156602
Summary: *
DT*: THE CONTACT STATED WHILE TRAVELING 30 MPH, THE VEHICLE BEGAN TO ACCELERATE UNCONTROLLABLY. THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT SLOW WITH BOTH FEET DEPRESSED ON THE BRAKE PEDAL AND IN NEUTRAL. THE VEHICLE STOPPED ONCE IN PARK. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALERSHIP, BUT THEY ARE UNABLE TO DETERMINE THE PROBLEM. THE MANUFACTURER HAS SENT TECHNICIANS TO LOOK INTO THE PROBLEM. THE VEHICLE IS A 2007 LEXUS ES350. *AK
Old 10-24-06, 03:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Jiggawat...

I responded to blaise on the ES350 forum, similar post to your post.

blaise,

I found the NHTSA.dot Federal complaint filed back in May of this year and it doesn't sound like your friend as this person did not have an accident it seems but Lexus or dealer could not find it in computer for this one either.
I hope the dealer from this incident below filed a report with Lexus back in May so they are at least aware of it as a claimed event.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...in/results.cfm
Make : LEXUS Model : ES350 Year : 2007
Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION *
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10156602 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: May 2, 2006
VIN : Not Available *
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Complaints Summary Make: LEXUS
Model: ES350

Year: 2007
Complaint Number: 10156602
Summary: *
DT*: THE CONTACT STATED WHILE TRAVELING 30 MPH, THE VEHICLE BEGAN TO ACCELERATE UNCONTROLLABLY. THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT SLOW WITH BOTH FEET DEPRESSED ON THE BRAKE PEDAL AND IN NEUTRAL. THE VEHICLE STOPPED ONCE IN PARK. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALERSHIP, BUT THEY ARE UNABLE TO DETERMINE THE PROBLEM. THE MANUFACTURER HAS SENT TECHNICIANS TO LOOK INTO THE PROBLEM. THE VEHICLE IS A 2007 LEXUS ES350. *AK
as we discussed in ES forums, this is way too bogus. In fact, by posting this obviously false report, most people will think that person who posted original thread also posted false report.

Where to start? Well, car in neutral keeps going? How does that work? Magic hands keeps pushing it from behind? LOL.
Old 10-24-06, 03:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
The car will decel from 60-0 twice as fast as it will go 0-60. The brakes will over power the motor but it won't be pretty.

Turning off the motor while moving is a dangrous undertaking. You will get one power assisted brake movement before the accumulator is empty. You will run the risk of engauging the steering lock and turning will be problematic after that. Don't drive a car that was stolen and has a broken ignition lock for that reason either.

I do a lot of 4wheeling and reach vehicle angles of 45 degrees. It's not unusual for things to come rolling out from under the seats. I've seen plenty of accidents from things getting lodged under the brake pedal.

Just things to keep in mind. The fly-by-wire pedal seems softer than a cabled pedal which makes it easier to jam.
you guys might or might not remember story about british driver from this year, who claimed that accelerator got stuck in his BMW and he couldnt stop. They had to clear sections of highways to let him pass at over 100mph. It was big story that created threads on BMW forums :-).

Later on, police charged him for reckless driving as they found out that his gas pedal wasnt stuck and he was faking it ;-).
Old 10-24-06, 05:20 AM
ItalianLex
Lead Lap

I agree with you guys about the floor mats cause that happened to me numerous amounts of times in different cars but my first thought when I read this besides the floor mat idea was a cruise control issue.

Now I know he said he didn't have cruise control on, but if his CC was set at a high speed previously and he hit the resume button it might have taken off like it. Although the brakes should have shut down the cc. Anyway that was what came to my mind. I'm interested to see what kind of update is given.

Quick Reply: IS350 Throttle Stuck - Near DEATH experience