IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Throttle Stuck - Near DEATH experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06 | 04:15 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not tryin' to add more beef to this issue, but I am 70% sure it is driver error, but since it didn't happen to me I really can't say. Also think about it, It is much easier to say "hey u should of done this or done that", and guess what, at that time there is only a handfull who would really think straight in a pannick situation.Just my 2 cent's. I really hope this is just as simple as a floormat issue. At least more people now know to be more alert.
Old 10-24-06 | 04:25 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by ff_
Flawed points? Please explain.
Originally Posted by ff_
Uh, I don't know of anyone that watches their rearview mirrors for cars with their hazards on, so they can know that something isn't quite right. In this situation, by the time someone is going to notice that you have your hazards on, you're past them, and long gone.
I guess if you don't know anyone, they must not exist...

You don't check your rearview specifically for cars with hazard lights on. You simply check your rear view becuase it is good driving practice. If a car happen to have hazards on, you will notice them. If there is a cop, you will notice, if there is a car tailgating, you will notice. Well... most people I know of would notice them anyway.
Old 10-24-06 | 04:39 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by blaise
...but I am 70% sure it is driver error...
How did you come up with the 70%?
Old 10-24-06 | 04:54 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramon
If a car happen to have hazards on, you will notice them. If there is a cop, you will notice, if there is a car tailgating, you will notice. Well... most people I know of would notice them anyway.
Ramon I am with you on this, I would notice. I could tell you what is behind me at all times.
Old 10-24-06 | 05:29 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
How did you come up with the 70%?
I don't know ........just from what i've been reading. Doesn't mean it's accurate though.........
Old 10-24-06 | 05:49 PM
toledolex
Driver School Candidate

Default Accelleration Problem Does Really Happen

last week my wife was driving her 2006 IS 250 AWD on the interstate (just a day after her 1st oil change at the Lexus dealer). While having the cruise on 65 degrees, she decided to pass a semi. She advised that she just touched on the gas pedal, and the car accellerated right up to 90mph instantly. The RPMs went all the way up to the end of the red line. She stated that she tried to put the car in neutral, but that didn't help. She tried to slow the car with the brakes, but that too was a struggle. The gas pedal wasn't to the floor she stated to me. She was able to drive into the grassy median and slam on the brake. The engine was still reving at full speed, so she "Slammed" it into park and turned off the engine. Ouch! Lexus sent out a tow, and at the Dealer, the tech started it and it was fine. When he gave it gas to test drive it, it floored again. He ended up pushing it into the stall. He could not find anything wrong with the engine, so he called Lexus Headquarters. They suggested to check the all weather mats. The tech stated to us that the mat looked fine when he looked at it, but when he tried to pull it out of the car, it was stuck to the gas peldal. Apparently Lexus knows of this problem. The dealer guess that when the dealer changed the oil, the kid who did the car wash and pulled out the floor mat to clean it must not of put the mat back in correctly. Lexus must know of this problem and they better fix the problem before someone gets killed. So far no probems with the Engine or Transmission.
Old 10-24-06 | 11:47 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Ok, who here does NOT believe it was the floor mat?

Good for you...you can get out...
That's it Skippy, pack your ish, let's go.
Please exit the forum immediately!!

jk
Old 10-25-06 | 12:41 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

MODS! im PMing someone about this thread im sick of this ish!
Old 10-25-06 | 07:56 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

you will destroy your brakes (they will fail / explode given enough heat; this situation will cause enough heat for the former and could possibly lead to the latter). use them as the final measure in bringing the car to a stop. Shift to neutral, I do not see why this would not work. Kill ignition if needed, then brake. I have been through this before in my old GS a couple times and for different reasons (floormat being one).
Old 10-25-06 | 08:05 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1loudLX

Yes, I agree. Someone please take this matter seriously. I know that this is internet but still.
Old 10-25-06 | 08:05 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with NoRyce. There is absolutely no reason why shifting to neutral would not stop the car from accelerating. I think people feel that neutral should slow the car down immediately, but obviously it won't do that.

Note to self... don't get all season floor mats...

Another note to self... you live in Texas and dont need them!
Old 10-25-06 | 08:07 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

OK the throttle getting stuck - I believe is very plausible... probably from your floormat whether or not you realized it. But in the rare case that a car with electronic throttle control actually had some sort of ridiculous software glitch that caused the computer to just floor the car despite no physical pressure on the throttle... I mean I guess I could see that being possible.

But the car not shifting into neutral when you put it into neutral?? That's a direct/physical connection there. No 'transmission select by wire' like 'drive by wire'. There's no throttle or 'bug' that would cause it not to go into neutral.

Granted I suppose your transmission selector could fail at the same time as your electronic throttle control but I think you have a better chance of being run over by a pink 747 while battling a radioactive 2 ton rat on the moon.
Old 10-25-06 | 09:19 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
Old 10-25-06 | 09:52 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

there's no reason why not to purchase all-season floor mats. i've used them for many years in a couple of cars, no problems. it snows in texas, it rains, there's ice and inclement weather, and it's filthy so all-season will go a long way protecting texan's cars, the benefits far outweight the occasional (potential) runaway car.
Old 10-25-06 | 10:04 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
there's no reason why not to purchase all-season floor mats. i've used them for many years in a couple of cars, no problems. it snows in texas, it rains, there's ice and inclement weather, and it's filthy so all-season will go a long way protecting texan's cars, the benefits far outweight the occasional (potential) runaway car.
Lol I was just joking. IMO I don't like the look and feel of rubber floor mats. Obviously if I lived somewhere in which it snowed more than one day a year like it does here, then I would consider them. But seeing as the weather is good the majority of the time, I dont have a need for them.

Quick Reply: IS350 Throttle Stuck - Near DEATH experience