IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Throttle Stuck - Near DEATH experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 10:05 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the all-weather mats without problem. Some people put the rubber mats on top of the carpet ones, and the extra thickness causes interference with the gas pedal.
Old 10-25-06, 10:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea I have all weathers, have had no problems, they indicate on the mats they should not be used over the normals, I have the normals boxed up for safe keeping. I like the look of mine, they resemble unidirectional tires and some of my buddies that drive trucks like the look
Old 10-25-06, 03:05 PM
JiggaWATT
Rookie

Default Took my car to the dealership

I have not read all of the posts so If I do not answer something, I will go back and reply to my best ability.

For the record, I have the LEXUS all weather floor mats that are rubber. I do not have the original floormats under them as it specifically said to not use them on top of the existing floor mat. If this ever happens to me, then I will obviously react better next time, but in the heat of the moment, I freaked out.

I took my car to the dealership yesterday. I told them my story. A service techinician, the manager or service, and some other engineer came out to talk to me. I asked them if they could take a look at the "black box" to see what happened. They asked me if any light came on during this ordeal. They said that if there was not any light on, then they could not go back and see what happened. They also told me that they would only be able to provide a visual inspection. At this point I am not really sure what to say. Then they told me that they would not be able to analyze this "until it happens again". At this point I am more than frustrated. I tell them, "if this happens again, there won't be anything left to analyze". I regain my compusure and the manager tells me he is going to report this to headquarters and do more inspection on my car. To tell you the truth, I don't know what they did. They only looked for about an hour and that included the time it took for them to wash my car. After they were finished, they handed me my keys and told me that they put my floor mat in the trunk. The advice they came up with was for me to drive for 2 weeks with the mats in my trunk and then pu the mats back on and drive for another two weeks. I will leave the dealership unnamed for now. I have been advised to contact Lexus directly and tell them about my problem. Others have told me that they wuold take it a more seriously then the dealership. THat is all I have to report for now.

I don't know what I am going to do, as I am still afraid to drive my car at times. I am more confident now, because I feel the advice given from this thread has prepared me to better handle this should it happen again. Again, I am open to any suggestions, or theories and I will be available at anytime to discuss what happened.

Thanks for everyones constructive input in this matter. I will let you know as I hear back from LEXUS about this issue.
Old 10-25-06, 03:10 PM
JiggaWATT
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Again, we do not need to know exactly what happened or why. We can easily conclude that braking while the car is moving and while the engine is under throttle will increase stopping distances simply by what we do know.
Agree.
Quote:
We know he was hitting the correct pedal becuase the car did eventually stop

I'm not so sure. Here's what he wrote: *"I had the break completely depressed and my car was still accelerating. When I would let go of the break, the car would take off. I battle the accelerator with the break for a little bit and I am able to slow the car down considerably."*

If he had the brakes completely depressed, there is no way the car would continue to accelerate. It sounds like he was also going back and forth between the pedals. I agree that it sounds like he eventually found the right pedal.

Believe me I was on the correct pedal. Without a doubt, i have been driving for a long time and I know which pedal is the brake. And my foot is not wide enough to press the gas and the brake at the same time, so can we just assume that I was on the right pedal because I assure you I was. And then let's deduce from there please.
Old 10-25-06, 03:18 PM
JiggaWATT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Buds
I disagree. I am constantly aware of my surroundings. If I saw a car with its hazards on, regardless of whether that car was in front or behind me, I would be more cautious towards that car and I would assume something was wrong.

I just have one question for JiggaWatt, why do you have the all season/winter mats when you live in Houston? Much like Dallas, it snows there maybe once a year if you are lucky, and even then, it's melted the very next day. Just curious.
The dealer gave them to me for free
Old 10-25-06, 04:00 PM
Gary H
Driver School Candidate

Default Throttle stuck on test drive

A year ago my wife and I were test driving a GS 400. She was driving entered the highway and after a few minutes she was screaming Iam going 85 and I can not slow down, I said hit the brakes, perhaps the cruise is out of order. She tried and said it will not slow down.

I said pull over to the shoulder and I reached over and turned the key off of on position. Car coasted to a stop, brakes very hot.

The protective cardboard had poped up when the accel was down and prevented it from return to rest.

I got in to drive back to the dealership, upon pushing the acellerator down hard I also got it hung up.

My point on this post is I would suggest simply turning the engine off If this ever happens to you. Make sure you do not remove the key or put it in lock mode. I tried this last night on my 07 350 NO PROBLEM.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-06, 04:43 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary H
My point on this post is I would suggest simply turning the engine off If this ever happens to you. Make sure you do not remove the key or put it in lock mode. I tried this last night on my 07 350 NO PROBLEM.

Good luck.
Remove the key? Put it in the lock mode? I think you have the wrong forum, our cars have push button auto-start/stop.
Old 10-25-06, 05:56 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
Remove the key? Put it in the lock mode? I think you have the wrong forum, our cars have push button auto-start/stop.
Maybe he is talking about his 07 NISSAN 350 Z? This is a lexus forum...welcome to the show.
Old 10-25-06, 06:20 PM
Gary H
Driver School Candidate

Default Stuck throttle

Sorry guys

I have a 07 IS 350

Not a Nissan

Nobody on this forum suggested turning the engine off if your throttle gets
stuck , only trying to help.

As I said I shut my motor off on my Lexus IS 350 while I was driving

no problem. I thought ( my mistake) I did not want to get somebody to lock their steering wheel at high speed. With a conventional key.

If you would rather fry your brakes or over-rev you engine when you place your tranny in neautral go for it.

Some
Old 10-25-06, 08:01 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Sorry guys

I have a 07 IS 350

Not a Nissan

Nobody on this forum suggested turning the engine off if your throttle gets
stuck , only trying to help.

no problem. I thought ( my mistake) I did not want to get somebody to lock their steering wheel at high speed. With a conventional key.

If you would rather fry your brakes or over-rev you engine when you place your tranny in neautral go for it.

Some

What you are saying makes no sense bro...how could you possibly remove the key? Toss it out the window? There is nowhere to stick it into that you could pull it out of...anyone with an ISx50 KNOWS ya just press the start button as long as the key is somewhere in the car. Also, you can press the stop button all day long but unless you are stopped, it doesnt do anything.

Please explain yourself.
Old 10-25-06, 08:24 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SilverLexo
What you are saying makes no sense bro...how could you possibly remove the key? Toss it out the window? There is nowhere to stick it into that you could pull it out of...anyone with an ISx50 KNOWS ya just press the start button as long as the key is somewhere in the car. Also, you can press the stop button all day long but unless you are stopped, it doesnt do anything.

Please explain yourself.

Let me try...

He's saying he has tried shutting down the engine in his IS 350 and it does not lock the steering wheel... Unlike a Conventional key... meaning a conventional key type car will lock the steering wheel.

I did not want to get somebody to lock their steering wheel at high speed. With a conventional key.

Also... I think somone stated that if you HOLD the start button for 3 secs or more it will shut down the engine... thats the emergency shut off procedure... Yes you can push it all day long while moving and it will do nothing but if you hold it thats a different story.
Old 10-25-06, 08:27 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

no problem.

So clearify... are you saying... that in the IS 350 if you shut down the engine while at speed you wont lock your steering wheel? and you wont lose brake pressure?

I guess you can stop the engine and then quickly tap the start once with the foot off the brake and start the accessory power so you have steering and brake pressure...
Old 10-25-06, 08:58 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Let me try...

He's saying he has tried shutting down the engine in his IS 350 and it does not lock the steering wheel... Unlike a Conventional key... meaning a conventional key type car will lock the steering wheel.

Also... I think somone stated that if you HOLD the start button for 3 secs or more it will shut down the engine... thats the emergency shut off procedure... Yes you can push it all day long while moving and it will do nothing but if you hold it thats a different story.
Gotcha on that...3 seconds...good to know. I guess that statement he made along with "remove the key" really threw me for a loop. So how do you "remove the key"?
Old 10-25-06, 09:44 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone lock this thread please oh my god.
Old 10-25-06, 10:03 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A possible solution .....

Originally Posted by JiggaWATT
The dealer gave them to me for free
JiggaWATT ...... I'm in the Houston area as well and I think there is a better mat than the ones the dealer gave you. I've got ExactMats which are thin and can sit directly on the carpeted mats. I don't see how they ever could cause a problem since they don't seem to shift around and are thin. They are about $70 and can be bought from a Lexus dealer, or order direct from www.ExactMats.com, which is a local TX company. Call Billy and he'll send them out to you for next day delivery. Good product. All we get in Houston is rain, no snow, no salt, so our problem is far different than what the snow belt sees. Ditch the heavy duty mats.

Quick Reply: IS350 Throttle Stuck - Near DEATH experience